or Connect

Posts by D.C.

The description of the Late Night Cafe reads, "A general forum to discuss all non-food/cooking related topics." Not only was I surprised when the site administrator closed the discussion on local economics but I was also a bit put off when he said that people were being offended and that those of us who wanted to have such discussions should go post elsewhere. I was unaware of the ban on "political" postings. From the replies that followed, I don't think anyone was...
I don't see a problem as long as you have the physical capability and stamina to do the job. I was an elementary teacher for 17 years. After spending 8 consecutive years teaching at exclusive overseas schools, I found that I couldn't make the adjustment back to public education. I went to culinary school, got a job as a line cook, and eventually became a working chef at the age of 43. I am now 48 and I'm back in the school system ... but am now working as a high school...
In general, a food prep cook prepares food to be further cooked or combined with other ingredients. For example, in a casual dining restaurant like Bob Evans, a food prep cook: * heats packaged soups and mashed potatoes * makes packaged sauces, crepe batter, pancake batter, and waffle batter * trays and bakes biscuits * prepares scrambled egg mix * chops greens and assembles the garden salad mix * follows packaged instructions for the final assembly of ready made...
If the president elect holds true to his campaign promises, his presidency will usher in the biggest Federal jobs work program that we've seen since the days of FDR's New Deal. Where is the funding going to come from if half of our Federal budget is already earmarked for bailout packages? I didn't vote for Senator Obama ... but with this being said, he's the president elect and we're all on the same sinking ship. Now hear this! Abandon ship! Abandon ship! Chef...
The health inspector paid a visit to the school cafeteria today. He was there for THREE HOURS ... but did not come to the culinary arts department or visit our attached student operated restaurant. I suspect that come tomorrow, we'll be under the microscope. From what I've heard, the county health department has developed a greater sense of urgency in inspecting restaurants because a local establishment recently had a foodborne outbreak. All area restaurants have now been...
I saw in yesterday's news that this guy had the opportunity to avoid being trampled. He put himself into harm's way to try and shield a pregnant woman who was about to be knocked over. I also saw that this was a big guy. He was over 6 feet tall and weighed 240 lb. The only good thing about what happened is that Wal-Mart will probably be held liable. It turns out that this guy wasn't a Wal-Mart employee ... he worked for a security company that had been subcontracted by...
Yes ... try using brown rice flour. This is one of the most popular non-gluten flour products that's available. Be advised that brown rice flour comes in coarse and fine grinds. Unless you use the fine grind, your roux will taste gritty. You could also try using chickpea or garbanzo flour. The texture of this product is similar to that of wheat flour.
My assistant manager and I have been thinking about writing to our state representative to suggest an economic stimulus package for the two of us. We'd be happy with $100,000 each. :) What blows my mind is that when the banks first asked for a bailout, the government decided on an "economic stimulus package" for the taxpayer. I was underwhelmed by the amount I received and quite frankly, was appalled that congress would add to our mounting debt by giving money to...
The Federal government finally used the "R" word (recession) ... but unfortunately my neck of the desert has just slid into a depression. Word came down from the mining company, the single biggest employer in the Gila Valley, that starting next Monday, lay-offs will begin. Anyone with less than 5 years with the company will be laid off. They could be laid off next week or next month. If they are laid off, they will receive no severance pay and will lose all medical...
Cornmeal has a grainy texture. As others have indicated, it won't dissolve the same way that flour will. It should also be noted that there are different grinds of cornmeal. Steel ground yellow cornmeal lacks the husk and germ of the maize kernel. Stone ground cornmeal retains some of the hull and germ and has more flavor. Since the germ contains a small amount of oil, stone ground cornmeal is more perishable than steel ground.