or Connect

Posts by Geri Lynn

Ooops! I didn't mean for the thumbs down icon to be there. I just joined the forum yesterday so I'm not yet familiar with all the workings.
I think this is what I've been experiencing--it tastes bitter when testing it. I did decide to just 'go for it' and see, so I went ahead and added the roux to the stock and finished the gumbo and it actually turned out very good with no bitterness. Also, this morning I decided to do some experimenting. I browned two batches of flour in the oven, one a medium brown and another fairly dark, as well as the traditional way on the stovetop. They all tasted very similar just...
Hi Everyone! Would you believe I'm nearly 59 and just now seriously trying to learn to cook? It's always just been me and my husband, no kids, and with us both working and hectic schedules, I was like most and just opted for something simple at home or going to some of the great local restaurants. Now I no longer work and for the last year or so have taken up cooking. I'm looking forward to learning from this forum but be warned, my questions will most likely be so basic...
I've tried numerous times and ways to make a dark roux for gumbo. After I make it, I always sample it before adding into my stock mix. To me it always tastes like extremely strong coffee with a bitter taste. I just tried again and was very careful to stir constantly and not let it stick. I did this for at least 20 minutes and I never saw any flecks or anything that made me think it had stuck or burned. It was very creamy and continued to slowly darken until it appeared...