or Connect

Posts by deltadude

All excellent points, and info. I will try some of them for our Christmas turkey. I prepare a couple of family meals each year at my sis (her house is twice the size of ours), and I go well prepared with everything necessary to make a great meal. Next year we will make the turkey stock at home and have turkey fat ready for the gravy process.
I usually don't cook Thanksgiving dinner, that is my Sis and my Wife's big feast they prepare each year, I cook all the other family get-to-together meals, etc. My wife makes the gravy the standard way, equal amounts of turkey fat & flour, making a roux, then add liquid which is giblet broth, and seasons it. While my wife's gravy is fine, I happen to be at a cafe, the next day, and craved more turkey and gravy. They served an open face turkey & gravy over bread, which...
butcherman, I grew up on a dairy ranch, the only meat we ate is what we raised, later as an adult and father of 3, I bought either whole / half / and some quarters of range raise professionally butchered beef, however some hay was used in their feed. I don't recall in general the meat ever being tough, stringy, smelly, or having a distinct flavor difference compared to store bought fresh meat. I will say though that one of the whole steers we bought I remember the...
I think you need to rethink the "week prior" concept, do you order what you want to eat from a cookery a week in advance? The average family doesn't know what they are eating the next day let alone a week in advance.
Invite him to your kitchen to cook with you. You do the chicken and he would do his fav veg recipe. Now you are collaborating. Explain as you prep and cook what you've learnedabout proper meat & fowl handling.
I do a lot of BBQ, my weber kettle I bought back about 1981 or 82, my weber Genesis about 1999, my smoker about 6 years ago. So I have used charcoal, gas, and electric + wood for smoke. During the season which for us starts in May and ends around end of October, we grill on the gas Genesis about 3 or 4 times a week. During the winter we will grill about every other week. Since we bought a new home (new to us a "foreclosure"), I now have a covered area to grill or smoke...
I'm just a home cook, but usually do 3 to 4 either BBQs or dinners at other family member's homes each year, including grad parties and some rehearsal dinners. I learned a long time ago, "bring it" if you want to have it, that goes for ingredients or tools. I usually load up 2 or 3 of those large plastic storage containers, with gear/food/etc. However there has been a few impromptu meals, that required some inventiveness to either use the equipment on hand or the...
WoW, thats a lot of people. I did a similar grad party for my daughter's HS grad, but only about 50 people, did almost the same menu you are offering except we didn't have brisket. I didn't own a real smoker then (I do now), however I was able to smoke the butts using my weber gas grill and rotisserie. With that many people there will be some who do not want beef and pork, so you might also have some "pulled chicken". I smoked then the chicken in a Weber Kettle . ...
Learning to cook is fun, and things like trying to impress your girl friend are great motivators. I used to make sandwiches and take them to my wife when I was pursuing her. I tried to come up with ways to kick them up. One recommendation is to start with simple things and learn to do them well. Complicated recipes or even different cuisines could increase the difficulty and may lead to some frustration. My daughter is dating a guy who has impressed her with his...
That's right "Imitation" crab salad, why imitation? COST, I can't afford real crab usually, especially if serving a crowd. The below recipe has been a hit for some time for my BBQs, brunches, etc, I even use a spicy version as appetizer dip. 1 16oz package of Captain Jac's ( imitation crab) I use this product because it has real "snow crab" mixed with the polluck or whiting, it has slightly more taste than other brands I have tried. *16 oz Shrimp meat from grocery...