or Connect

Posts by Matthew357

<> Didn't know that, but yes, the boss knows Keller pretty well apparently. <
Welp, I handed in my two weeks notice last night and I was told in no uncertain terms that unless I gave 6 to 8 weeks it was not acceptable and I wouldn't be able to use the place as a reference. Or in other words, if I only gave two weeks he would F*** me. He knows this is my only real experience in a restaurant and knew that telling me he would never recommend me would put him in a position of power. But for many reasons (all of them unchangable) I do need to leave...
Yeah, the last thing I want to do is burn bridges, but I also want to get outta there post haste. The thing is, I LOVE the kitchen. I think I take as much pride in the food coming out of that kitchen as the Exec does. On the other hand I can't stand some of the management decisions that are made. Add to that the fact that I want to work somewhere closer to home before going to the CIA and it's become a situation where every day I work there I constantly think about...
It's been an incredibly long time since I've posted here. In that time I've worked my way through all but two of the stations in the restaurant I am working in in Atlanta. At this point it's become too frustrating to me as a job as well as my commute being rather bothersome as of late (1 hour with perfect traffic, 2 hours if it's bad). So I'm putting in my 2 weeks. My question is, what is the best way to go about this? I'm pretty sure I'm a valuable employee and will...
Tonight was a fairly interesting and fun one. The day started just like every other friday, prepping like crazy to get everything in it's place...then about 4:30 we found out how many covers we had on the books. Suffice to say we were rather surprised with the small amount...is it that way with everyone else? We were actually just about as busy Wednesday night as we were tonight. I figure memorial day does strange things to the non-barbecue restaurants. The...
At one of the places I used to work at we would cook the chicken for the salad in the steamer. Relatively quick and it kept the chicken nice and moist. Of course there were some herbs tossed on them beforehand as well, but you can do just as well with the herbs added into the salad when it is being finished. The chicken salad we made was, in my humble opinion, the best chicken salad in the world. It was a bagel shop and we primarily sold the chicken salad in a bagel...
I say use a sea bass with a frickin lasers on it's head! Matt -Having an Austin Powers moment....
I'd flip a coin, either Tokyo or Paris. Up to this point I've spent 1 day in Paris and have been longing to go back ever since. I'd eat and eat and then eat some more. Visit kitchens and the chefs in the kitchens. Do we get to bring along an intrepreter? Tokyo because Japanese food just facinates me. Tokyo also has the largest/most active fish market in the world and I would love to spend each morning there just seeing all the different kinds of seafood as they...
<> So what was your solution when the parsley was too wet after mincing it? The tried and true wrap in a napkin and twist or something more elegant? Chef likes our parsley to be an incredibly fine mince...almost dustlike but there is only one station that garnishes with it so I only have to dry the parsley for that station...kind of hard to sprinkle when it's clumping up on you. On a...
I found out today that I will be moving up to Garde Manger in a few weeks. Needless to say I'm very excited. I'll have three days of training and then after that I'm on my own. It is probably the most complex position as far as the variety of dishes that are served from that station. The only other station that would come close would be the saute. So I know I have a lot to learn and hopefully I can pick it up quickly enough. I've allready talked to the person that...