Posts by ChefBillyB

ChefJess606, I don't think the owner is worried about you leaving. I think it's about the owner keeping the loyalty of the employees in his corner. If the Chef has all the tools to get the loyalty of all the kitchen employees then what would happen if he canned you. Im many kitchens a good chef will take his crew with him. The kitchen employees don't have a lot of loyalty to the owner. In most cases the owner is a PITA, just another person to fire their butts. As a owner,...
IMHO, it s/b up to the Chef to control food and labor costs. The only way labor can be controlled in your case is if the sales are through the roof and it doesn't matter. If thats the case then food cost will also fall into line because volume solves all problems. I agree a POS will keep track of what items are selling. The owners maybe successful in other business ventures but it does take a knowledgeable operator to be successful in the restaurant business. Some people...
Hi Luk, welcome to Cheftalk. First of all I am thinking and praying for you and your country after this terrorist incident in London. The best from your friends across the pond.    As for your 1/3 life crisis I would have to say your age isn't even close to being a problem. The food business isn't about working in a job and just going with the flow everyday. I would hate to work in a job everyday that didn't give me a feeling of accomplishment, pride and fulfillment. Take...
First of all welcome to Cheftalk. Second of all, your food looks great I could see people be surprised with the appearance and quality. I was legally called out a few times because people turned me in for this and that. If you hire and fire 1000's of people over your career something is bound to happen.   I would talk with the person at the department of workers rights and see what they're looking for as far as compensation/ settlement to satisfy the claim. It's not that...
San Francisco ain't the town it used to be. It would be real hard to find any place to live worth wide in the city. The city also has a lot of homeless and the city isn't controlling them real well. At one time it was my favorite city, it's not even on the top 10 list anymore. What is your opinion of Portland, Or or Seattle ??? Lots of good thinks in both cities with a good nightlife. The Pacific Northwest has a lot to offer with great hiking trails a short hop out of...
In many cases it all depends on if it's a buffet or sit down dinner. I think a Chicken medallions scallopini, Chicken Marsala and chicken Parmigiana and maybe a Chicken Cacciatore would hold and present well. All these can be served with a side of linguini or just about any pasta. At one time you couldn't drive down a street in America without seeing a sign of Broasted Chicken and JoJos.  You could do some oldies but Goodies like Chicken Cordon bleu and Chicken Kiev both...
Dan, your right about the walk-in refer, that s/b top priority and fixed ASAP. What your going through may not be the norm but it's also not unusual. There are only two people who will change the sanitation of the kitchen. The owner and or the health inspector. Just remember when the sh-t hits the fan it splashes down hill. The Chef and Sous will blame the cooks for not doing their job. IMHO and after working, Managing, Chefing, owning over 25 restaurant and or food...
Going back when I did bars for catering, I charged per drink. We offered Beer, wine and well drinks. I had a sheet of paper Listing at the top of the page Beer, wine and well. The bartender just kept track and we charged accordingly.......ChefBillyB
At this point it's really not up to you to point out anything. It's up to the Chef and Sous to setup sanitation and Daily operating procedures........OK, I said it, now this is what I would do..........To cut through the nice nice bullshit answer like I just gave you. If something is wrong in the kitchen, It's wrong. If something is moldy throw it away. If something is outdated then either use it or throw it. I expect my cooks, pantry or whoever is working in the kitchen...
A Day in the life of a fishermen's life. I could see you waving waving into the fog as he sets sail.......OH S-it, there was nothing in this about Fish! Ok, I got it! A Day in the life of a Texas Gal in her jammies wondering where the heck life has gone. I see a book with movie rights coming soon with Nicholas Sparks knocking on your door any day now.........