or Connect

Posts by ChefBillyB

In most cases Sous Vide is low and slow. In the restaurant business it may be to go a bit higher in temp and less hours cooking. I have also done BBRibs with real good results in Sous vide. In my case I'm not in a hurry so cooking for 24 to 36 hrs isn't that big of a deal. Some of the timing on something like Pork belly would go 24 to 36 hrs. If you crank it up 20 more degrees it would cooking in 8 to 12. The thing you may want to work on in a Restaurant operation is...
FB, your the Sous and your young. There is nothing wrong with asking these questions. It's good to get the perspective of seasoned chefs to find out what they do in their foodservice's. The only way to learn is to ask........
Im almost all cases you marinate chicken for flavor and beef for tenderness. Remember I said almost always and in most cases. The other maybe teriyaki and a few others. There is no reason to marinate chicken longer than a few hours up to 24 hours. If it's an acidic marinade it will be a short period of time. Again, your not looking to tenderize, your looking to flavor. The beef can go longer because your trying to tenderize. If you tenderize to long you may pick up to much...
I think there's many dishes that can be reheated well  as long are there's a bit of sauce with it. I made a Cilantro lime chicken last week that had great taste and looked wonderful. I would also look at doing something like a Coq au Vin or even doing a mediterranean type dish.     
There is a lot involved in why things are done. One being how much prep has to be done on each shift. The morning Sous will take care of all the ordering and deliveries with set up and working through lunch. I would overlap my Sous's by an hour to iron out all the bugs from each shift's bitching about each other. Not knowing all the details I would say the morning Sous would start at 6:30AM to 3:30PM....PM Sous 2:30PM to 11:30PM. The hour overlap would also give the Chef...
Tito, welcome to Cheftalk. In many of my operations we made the main special items on the day shift to be reheated for other shifts. The items that reheated the best are always things with gravy. These are the entrees that kept the quality the best. Stews, beef stroganoff, Soups, Chicken Cacciatore, Swiss steak, Lasagna and so on, I think you get the idea. Think of your menu and how good the quality is when it comes out of the kitchen. If you can come close your fine, if...
Hi Chef can I talk to you ? Sure come on in. I forgot about a court hearing that I need to be a witness at that is 8 hours away. I need to be available to testify sometime between Aug 7-9th how can I get this accomplished. What is your opinion on how I can work more hour before and after I return so as to not disrupt the operation.  When you put it this way you put the Chef in the equation. This makes him involved in the solution. 
What you do and how you do it is what sets you apart from the rest. The reason why they may have asked you to cater the wedding may be the exceptional quality of food you provide. I would stick to what makes you who you are by keeping the burgers your own blend of Pasture raised beed. I did this in my Cafe with my own pasture raised steers. I really liked the fact of offering my clients a quality approach using our speciality hamburgers. I'm sure the people attending the...
This is always a tough call. You need to know how many kids are at the function. This also depends on what part of the country this is happening. If it's on the West coast Burgers are more popular. If it's on the East coast Hot dogs are king. If you have 50 kids that means to have 120 adults. I would figure most women will eat one with that being the pulled pork. A guy will eat two meats, most likely a burger and a pulled pork. I figure you are using the hamburger bun for...
I think what their saying is, they will be paying you out of Corporate. They don't want to put you on another accounts payroll. As far as your questions. Be true to yourself, you only know what you know. I would pump yourself up on how hardworking, dependable, loyal, trustworthy and  how eager to learn the new concept.