or Connect

Posts by ChefBillyB

Noel, 55 is the new 40! I think if you found a Chef to apprentice under it would be a wonderful way to learn. I started my business at 47 but, I had worked in 25 restaurants up until that time. There are a lot of restaurants that would love to have what you have to offer after your trained. I think at your age owners would look at you as a mature figure in the kitchen that would keep everything on an even keel. I do feel that you would be wasting your time in school. I...
This isn't an easy process unless you have worked in a kitchen and know how much room is needed to accomplish your daily needs. What you need to do is make a list of all the equipment that you need to make homemade Gelato. Then figure out whats needed for refrigeration and freezers, sinks, work tables and so on. There are on line equipment companies that can give you pricing right on their site. You can also call an equipment company and they will design what you need as...
Chef, your spot on! You can't ask any questions unless you know the Quality and requirements of the kitchen that he/she is being hire for. As we all know a Chef in one restaurant wouldn't even be qualified to shine the shoes of another Chef. In order to ask the questions I posted here it would be a high level Sous position. I'm talking about a house that the Chef is making 120 to150K a year. The Sous position would come in at from 65 to 75K. If I was hiring for this...
Seabee, When I was 18 to 26 years old I just wanted to work, and play. When I started in the restaurant business I realized I had to give up somethings to get what I want. As I moved up in management I had to be the one who gave up some family life in order to give my family a chance to have a better life. Then I thought it's really up to me to find balance. I need to find a way so I can have both work and family.    The scenario doesn't doesn't matter. The point is,...
When I was younger I thought it was a stupid question. Then I thought about it in later years and realized that the person wanted to know if I was management material. You see a real manage knows that business is unyielding. The question is meant to make people think if they really want the responsibilities of always being on call and available. The way you reacted is more of how a line cook would react. All they want is to work their shift and be done. A owner/manager or...
Birthday parties can wait. An Emergency can't wait. His or her answer will let you know what their priorities are. If the Chef is out of town and a sewer back up into the kitchen do you want to hear your Sous can't come in because it's their kids birthday party ??? This makes the Sous think if he or she is ready for this kind of Commitment.
Keep the questions short, hoping the answers and long.    1: What is your definition of a Sous Chef ?........Make sure their definition meets yours.   2: What kind of experience do you have in Leadership and managing people ?   3: What is more important, Food cost or Quality of food% ?.......Trick question!    4: Whats more important your child's birthday party or an emergency call that you have to go to work ASAP ?   5: What is the most important aspect to you...
The Kitchen is no place to be unless you want to be. I would hate like hell to have to work under those conditions. There is no way you will last long so start looking while you still have a job. You may be in a position to take anything if you leave before you have something solid.........Good luck
Adrian, welcome to Cheftalk. It depends on how much chicken your going to put on the plate. It may also depend on what area of the country you in and how food truck friendly people are. With a Food truck you may want to offer a Hibachi chicken burrito as a easier way for people on the run to eat your food.    After looking at a food truck that offered this plate I would recommend $6.50. If you serve good food you s/b able to sell them at this price all day.........Good...
Sous Vide for 81/2 hrs at 131 degrees then seasoned and crusted in a hot skillet.