Posts by ChefBillyB

The only way I would open a restaurant in this environment is to be Chef owner and 100% of what goes. I would run a very low labor cost and have full control the food cost. I would not have a big over head with Rent or leases. I would keep the operation very lean. 
In Italy they would look at me crosseyed with a look like stupid American. In my home I do things as I like.  
If the ribs are hot and spicy then a cool Cole Slaw and corn bread. If the ribs have a sweet BBQ sauce then a good Charro beans like Jimyra said. 
Thats a wide open question. If your best work is Chinese food and your applying in a French Restaurant that may not fit the bill. I think it depends if you want to show how versatile you are. If you think its more important to show your skills without going to far outside the box then so be it. Tell us what your thinking of creating and what the concept is your applying for.............The best..........ChefBillB
When someone stabs you in the back, don't give them the pleasure of watching you die. Walk towards the door, turn and wave good bye knowing in your heart it is their loss. .....Good Day!
You can also use the fryer for Tostada shells, Taco salad bowls, Taco shells, Fried ice cream, Chimichangas, Fried burritos, and fish for fish tacos...........If your only going to use the fryer for tortilla chips, I wouldn't do it. Buy the chips like your doing now. You need to have a few things on the menu to justify buying one.......
There is nothing like fresh oil in a clean fryer. Everything comes out look great and tasting great. Some of the things that break down oil are water from frying frozen food items like frozen fries and so on, batter from fish and so on. Cleaning the oil will extent the life and keep you food tasting fresh. WE always changed the oil after doing a fish and chip Friday. If its a busy restaurant and you filter the oil then a week to 9 days would be about right. I always went...
elizamaeve, Welcome to Cheftalk. I always liked using a thin corn chip when making chips in my food services. We used them mostly for nachos. In your operation you serve them to everyone with salsa and when selling a side of guac. I managed a Mexican restaurant years ago, we made the chips daily. Only you would know how much to make, with only you knowing what your volume and usage is. its also easy enough to make some when needed. We cut the stack of corn tortillas in...
Logistics is the name of the game. Every catering is different and as you found out this year you learn quick. If I were doing this catering and in most cases it does depend on the main entrees I'm serving, I would do things in stages. I would send a crew to set up, then have a few come back for the appetizer's. I would then follow with my cooks with the main meal. Like I said this does depend on my entree. If I was doing a prime rib and it could stay in a warmer longer...
20 Liters is about 6 1/4 gal. Make it in a stand up mixer. If your mixer looks to be to small then do half at a time. If a paddle doesn't work then use a dough hook. If that doesn't work then get your least favorite cook or prep person to do it by hand. The most important part of any roux is making sure every particle of flour is mixed with the butter or fat. Now for my question? What the Hell do you need that much Roux for ??????