or Connect

Posts by ChefBillyB

Now work on what a 90 day wonder is........
I had the same size kitchen and ran a dining room serve while catering three banquets. There's nothing you can't do in a kitchen that size.
If your having a dinner for 60 people and the dish requires a fried egg then the egg is an important part of the dish. Therefore it's important the egg comes off the grill or out of the pan with a nice crusty white and creamy yoke. I would start the first batch of eggs about 5 minutes before the serving starts. Then the person who is doing the eggs could keep up with the other people who are serving up the dinner. If it was any other style egg such as scrambled or poached...
slipp000, I never cared what job I did while learning, moving up and keeping my vision and goals in tack. One thing to remember, you will do any job requested "BUT" you will demand respect and never loose your self-worth, dignity and integrity in the process. If the chef has you on a schedule and a process of you learning at a steady pace then it's fine. If you feel like your just being used, unappreaciated and abused then leave for greener pastures. A lot of chefs are...
Andrew, I wouldn't worry about the food costing. In the beginning worry about working closely with your crew, quality of the food and managing/scheduling will keep the kitchen running smoothly. The rest will fall in line in time. I would keep an eye on waste you will learn fast if you see a lot of items being thrown away. When your in the job for a few weeks and the BOH is running well. Then you could take a look at other things. One of the main things to remember in...
Long long ago. There were two guys walking on the prairie. They came upon a person with a club in one hand and their foot up on the Tyrannosaurus Rex they just killed. The two guys looked at him and told him about this person that had "fire" along with a group of hungry people. The Person with the club thought the two guys could help him drag the beast over to the cave where the fire and hungry people were. The person with the club organized all the people in the cave to...
Well, how many people would be signing up for a $25K program that guarantees a $10 job. These schools don't tell anyone the reality of real life and working in kitchens. It's all being called "CHEF" for two years that will make the grad feel like the money was well spent. The only problem is they think they can cook when they get out. If I have a Grad, All I want from them is knife skills. Don't tell me what you did in school, just listen and learn what we do here. 
ThatIrishGuy, This business is all about taking care of the needs of today. There isn't much loyalty or caring for the applying persons needs. This is what happens when a chefs view is "People yield Business doesn't". When you were told to come in for a trial there may not have been a lot of qualified people applying. They knew you didn't have any experience in the kitchen and still told you to come in for the trial. This wasn't real fair to you unless they were willing...
Integrity, Character, Fairness, Passion and Compassion 
Whenever I think of doing something like this. I tell myself maybe I should buy a $50 prime rib and then hand out $50 bills to 15 people at the food bank.