Posts by ChefBillyB

I think your going to run into a lot of different kinds instructors. Some instructors will be happy to see a person like you with ambition and drive to be the best they could. Other instructors are just putting in the time, just follow the lesson plan and move on. I don't think you'll find all your instructors being game to help you out in this area. You will find a few, take advantage of them. First of all make sure your doing well in the structured part of the class....
I know many chefs on this site have had some conflicts with the health dept over the years. I always had a great relationship with many inspectors in lots of restaurants. In many cases I had inspectors calling me asking a question about a certain way to handle a food item. I may not have needed a lot of inspections in my kitchens but, I have seen many other kitchens in my town I wouldn't even set foot in. Calling the health dept on someone isn't going to close them down....
Calling the health dept is professional courtesy. You are calling a professional to teach the novices how to operate a restaurant without killing people in the process. This is much better than the health dept coming in after the hospital calls with 20 people getting Salmonella poisoning. I guess it's just a matter of how long you want the health dept to be notified. The keywords are " The owners don't speak English" 
Copy and paste! Dear Health inspector. I would call the health inspector in a heartbeat. You could be saving a lot of people hardship if someone gets sick. The story you just told tells there isn't a drop of training in the kitchen. It's time they learned! If you wouldn't put up with it in your kitchen don't put up with it in someones else's.........ChefBillyB
thewolff, looks like your doing well. I took a lot of classes at CIA Napa Valley. The people taking the cases were already in the industry, most of us for many years. When i took many of these classes I always challenged the instructors so as for me to get the most out of the class. If you ever feel the instructor is teaching the class because the class doesn't keep up, ask for more. I never wanted to move slow, be like a sponge and let the instructor know you want more....
I do all my braising in a heavy duty restaurant style pot. I braise everything at 285 degrees for long periods of time in the oven. Durning the process of prepping the roast I cut/trim off all the excess fat. My cows are pasture raised corn finished with a lot of marbling. I think what your seeing is the braising liquid emulsifying with some of the fat. When you take out the roast you will see a separation of the liquids. When a stock is being produced in a correct manner...
Being a Chef with a young family is real hard. The needs of the family are much more when the kids are small. The first 10 years of marriage with small kids is " Why can't daddy be here for all the important things in our lives" Guilt trip as you walk out the door. In the later years and the kids being teenagers it's " Why can't daddy go to work, he just gets in the way of me being a teenager" he doesn't understand us. It's all about balance in home life and work life,...
Koukouvagia, is his Dr doing this method ??? http://www.davincisurgery.com/da-vinci-general-surgery/da-vinci-single-site-gallbladder-surgery.php  I would figure with you being in New York they have had it for years. My Brother had it for a different surgery in upstate New York and liked it. Everyone says it is the best process for gallbladder surgery.
I had a foodservice management company that did in house corp and employee cafeterias and catering. It was up to me to fulfill the requests of my clients and also follow, meet and succeed contract goals. In many cases the health dept would come to me and ask " Is there anything you want done in the kitchen that I can help with". The idea being if the health dept speaks, upper management reacts. I used this method on many occasions. This put the pressure on my client/...
Is there such a thing as a video resume ? Just think of what a cook/ Chef could show if they were to make one. It could prove skills, prep and presentation. It would show appearance and personality and how they carry themselves. If I were in the position to hire a Cook or Chef, this would be a great tool for me to decide on who I wished to talk with in person.