or Connect

Posts by ChefBillyB

Hey Berry, welcome to Cheftalk! This could be real easy if you pick the right items for the salad bar. I wouldn't worry to much about the salad bar part. Because of the mess of building your own taco I would set up a station and serve taco truck tacos. Give them a separate plate with two or three small tacos with either beef or chix, onions and cilantro. If your going with a hard shell tacos and leave it to them to build it themselves it's more of a problem. When they walk...
I think your in good shape understanding whats important to think and rethink to insure you keep the quality of your food intact. If your able to keep all your cold food cold until service I would worry about icing it at service. If your traveling with the salads and they will be losing their chill for a long period of time you will need to be concerned about keeping them cold. In most cases a smaller salad bowl placed into a larger salad bowl with crushed ice coming up...
DC, your right! Although in my life I never took that advice. Needless to say The establishment always won and I got thrown out. I know in my case if I ever stopped fighting for whats right I may as well roll over and die. I think your advice is good, but, the OP needs to do something to make this right. 
I would get a group of same minded students together and demand to be given the chance to learn. Your paying for this education it's not like high school. Learn now to speak up and fight for your right. You will be fighting as you move up in this business all your life. This would be a good place to begin.......Good luck.......Chef Bill
I hope all is well in Portland. I drove through there as fast as I could yesterday coming from the coast. The Tandoori Chix could be stacked in a 2" hotel pan without to much of a problem. I would cover it with foil until service. I don't like the idea of holding the chix for a long period of time because it will dry out. A dish like Chicken Tikka Masala would hold better because the chix is in a sauce and in most cases even gets better. When I first started catering I...
I agree with Meezenplaz. I figure you are putting in other ingredients than noodles. Do the bowl have to be refrigerated until service ? and I know the broth needs to be hotter than heck. Do they need hot sauce or other condiments for the soup. As far as the discount  I'll leave you with this "Good good ain't cheep and cheep food ain't good" $12.50 is fine........Welcome to Cheftalk............ChefBill
What Phatch said! And just to add something. If there is any bacteria on the outside of a steak, chop or chic breast it will be killed when the item is cooked. This is why e.coli is a problem with ground beef because the meat is ground and the bacteria can be spread throughout the mixture. 
Inventory, is a great reminder of all the stupid things I have bought. When I formed my own business I set it up with a small amount of shelving so I used what I ordered. In my older operations the dry storage area would get larger and larger. When I walk into other kitchen I see dry storage with a lot of cans that I bet don't get used for months. I also hated doing inventory and would do anything to shorten the ordeal. I organized my walk-in freezer and refer so I could...
This menu is heavy on protein. IMHO most guys will go for the beef and the gals will go for the chic and fish. When your doing a buffet with this many entrees you really can't look at full portions on each one. A 6oz portion of beef would be enough for a meal. Lets say the beef entree is in the first chafer. Most will take the first item and then wish they could cut a portion of the salmon in half so they can just have a small bite. Now the chicken comes up and if the...
I freeze my own copper river salmon filets in vacuum seal bags. I never get this from salmon. I do see a lot more moisture with cod and Halibut after freezing and thawing in vacuum sealed bags. I wonder if it's just the nature of the beast. I don't see it in fresh halibut when i cook it....Welcome to Cheftalk...........Chef Bill