Posts by ChefBillyB

Matt, better today then Dec 1st....When you have a Grand opening you want to "Fail Safe" two things, customer service and quality. You can hire employees to cover job positions. You can also have friends and family members do some of the easier/ nonessential jobs like cleaning tables, emptying garbage/ helping restock, backing up and keeping the coffee station clean and so on. You may ask how long should we do this "Fail safe" approach to opening the business. The answer...
Hey Matt, one thing to remember is and like you said, it's a small town. Word travels fast, good and bad. When I start a new business I have more than enough employees to cover whats needed. I can't know  what demand is, I just need to be able to respond to it when it happens. The only thing your wife needs to be doing during the busy time at the bakery is PR. She needs to be out front taking with people and making sure all their needs are taken care of. She can't take...
Going back years ago I was trained in management my a Japanese man who was GM of three restaurants and catering in a busy complex in Hawaii. He was harder than Hell on me because he wanted me to succeed. He throw a lot of work my way, most of it had to be done at home on my own time after working a 12 hour day. I asked him once " When you give me a job to do how fast do you expect me to get it accomplished". His answer to me was, when his boss ask's him for something he...
Nice job on the website all the baked goods look wonderful. I don't like the idea of opening a new business on Dec 1st. Your wife who is starting out as a "one Women operation" is putting a lot of pressure on her. Right now all the baking has her finger print on it in a once a week farmers market operation. Im most all cases a food service/restaurant will have a soft opening with a lot of employees on the floor. They will have a few managers walking the floor insuring good...
What's special about a food truck with gourmet sandwiches ??? Take a look at Food trucks and pods in Portland,Oregon. Portland is a real food/foodie truck city. Take a look at their menus and what they do well. If your looking for success in this business you need a standout signature item. Things like a killer Cuban sand that you can't get someplace else.A Killer Torta, Second to none Philly steak sands. OK, you get my drift. Your menu will be a few items and they all...
Just because a person is a manager doesn't mean he/she knows how to manage. Many unseasoned managers look at their positions as power. They use this power because they can. Who's going to call then out. It's your word against there's. When it gets to the point it's at now, it's time to leave. Don't even put then down as a past employer when going for interviews for new positions in another restaurant. This job isn't a career position.......Move on down the road, no one...
The problem I see with frying them at home is having a fryer large enough to fry the large flour tortilla. When the basket/bowl mold is pressed over the center of the tortilla, the oil bubbles up. The taco salad bowls you see in restaurants are made with large flour tortillas. Some of the bakery's in your town, most located inside grocery stores may make this type of shell to sell. Im my food service I have sold the shell to people for home use.....
Are we talking for home use ??? if its for a restaurant use this.....  
There are many versions and ways to make and present ceviche. This is one that could work for you......Good Luck
I have never made Cordon Bleu any other way but in the oven. If it is a chef video it would be the way it's made in a restaurant setting. Most all dishes like this would be started in a pan and then finished in the oven. The way you did it was fine. The way the chef did it was quicker and may have a bit more color to the appearance of the crust. 6 of one 1/2 doz of the other.......