Posts by ChefBillyB

Welcome lowercase frenchfries not to be mistaken from the real French Fries. I would soak the cut potato fries over night in the refer.  DryThen fry at 300 degrees until 80 to 90% cooked. Let cool and drain until the final fry to crisp at 375 degrees. I would also try to use an Electric fry pan so the fries can swim better in the extra room in the pan. The fry daddy Isn't a good fryer for anything. Try to use any temp adjustable controlled fryer with a volume that will...
BloodyMary, Use your time as a front line cook to gain experience. In most cases it shouldn't be a career choice rather, a stepping stone to a better paying position. All of the Chefs in this site have gone through what you are going through. Front line cooks are never paid what they're worth. I have never seen any of my cooks telling me they're over paid. This job should be viewed for what it is. Try to work in a few restaurants with different menus. Be the person in the...
WOW!!!!! Not one Chef commenting on " Take breaks when needed. We can even drink alcolhol if we wanted to during our shift". This kitchen sounds more like an unsupervised daycare center. Do me a favor! The next time the health Dept comes in, you and the lead cook raise your classes and toast them with a BloodyMary and will see how long that perk lasts.  
I make my hot dogs out of short rib meat, spices and emulsion in my mixer with ice water. If you find some recipes on the internet make sure you put more spices then their recipe calls for. After you make a batch of Italian sausage you realize what spices you would like to increase for more flavor. Make your sausage in small batches so its easier to alter as needed.    I want my hot dogs and sausage to look like this...  
Ship over some Nathan's hot dogs. Nothing say's Happy 4th of July better than a New York Hot dog.......
https://chinookandcompany.com/products/smoked-salmon   This would work for the Main course. I would look at doing it like a gourmet food basket with asst crackers, smoked meats, cheese, pickles, pickeled vegetables. Like you said the desert is easier. ChefBillyB
I'm located in the Pacific Northwest about 250 miles from Vancouver, BC. You could find any kind of restaurant in Vancouver. That being said, I think the school would offer a more wide range concept of teaching about different kinds of cuisines. Vancouver is also a great town with lots of hustle and bustle. In Albuquerque New Mexico the town is more of a local Southwest cuisine with many of the restaurants reflecting the foods of the area. If I'm trying to get the most out...
I always told my Chefs and Managers I expect the restaurant to run 100% to my satisfaction when I'm there. What impresses me is when it runs 100% to my satsifaction when I'm gone. This is all about trust and respect. If I walk into a bad closing it shows me I don't have the right people closing. In other words they're only a good employee when I'm watching. Explain this to your employees, if you can't close the kitchen properly in your absents then you will have to find...
Just a heads up I'm gonna be complaining this whole time so don't blame me for you reading this whole thing.........Fire Him !!!!!!! See how easy that was. If you hire someone to help and they aren't a help then they're a hinder...... If you need to be nice do it this way. Tell him " One of us isn't working out, and it's not me" Here's your last check.....Good Luck......ChefBillyB
Call everyone by name. I have never had anyone in any of my food services call me Chef. This only happens in Schools or kitchens that think they are bigger than life. I wouldn't put to many people on a pedestal. Everyone works hard in the kitchen, If the Chef and Sous tell you to call them Chef then do it. Other wish call them by name.