or Connect

Posts by ChefBillyB

Bob, this is all about you pouring a certain amount of water over a ground bean to give you the results you want. Finding the perfect cup of coffee for each person isn't easy to accomplish. This is why most places will get something in a medium roast that will satisfy most all people. I'm really not sure what grinders are the best. I have one it does the job for me. There isn't only one thing to look at when seeking out the perfect blend for you. I would start with a...
It means that if a French fry is cook less it will have more nutrients than a fully cook French fry. As for coffee " The greener the bean the more caffeine" When it comes to the amount of roasting your taking about flavor. 
Hey Bob, I don't think the local coffee shop will have time t do this for you. You could do it yourself at home by either pouring hot water over grounds once using a finer and coffee. Or you could use a percolator like I use to run the coffee over and over the ground coffee that will give you a different result the longer you perk. In many cases you will look for a degree of roast that you like. Then you can have the bean that is posted to the degree that you like be...
Nicko, I still think this way after retiring from this business 4 years ago. When passion is in your blood you can't just filer it out. I know in my case this business gave me what I gave it. It's the only job or business I have ever worked that gave me self fulfillment and a great sense of accomplishment and self pride on what I did. I would wish this on everyone in any occupation. I think if I ever did get back into this business. I would do it as a partner with managers...
There are ways of jumping into the fire without getting burnt. Why not look into a small cafe that serves breakfast and lunch. Or a small 40 seat Bistro maybe with a small outside courtyard with a small  two butt kitchen. I started my business at 47 and retired at 61 and it was the best thing I ever did. My business wasn't a B&M and I didn't need a lot of capital because my clients gave me the use of a kitchen for upscale Employee cafe feeding and catering. IN your case,...
I will thanks! I always have a hard time finding rolls that hold up to a burger and a lot of rolls have no taste. I like the sourdough touch.
In most cases around the USA a good quality burger will come from the Chuck or shoulder section of the cow. This section is good because it has a lot of fat. The chuck section would offer you a good flavored hamburger in most all cases. The most universal mix is 80/20 meaning 80% meat to 20% fat. This will give you a good flavor burgers.  If your looking for a Bistro burger or high end restaurant burger you will be looking at a combination of cuts that will give you in...
When you work in a restaurant kitchen it's not like your home kitchen. When your a employee you may just want to go with the flow. I see other posts about food waste that you have posted. Your getting a paycheck and supporting yourself and your family. Just go with the flow save the world on your own time. If this is a 5 star hotel they must be doing something right. When your in charge you can run things differently....
Avez, A Chefs job is to feed the clients at the function. Sometimes the Chef may go over the amount needed and the client doesn't have as many people show up for the function. No one wants to have waste but, it's part of making sure the chef's obligation is accomplished. The chef is in charge of the food cost. At this point in your career I would just follow and do as the chef asks. When your in charge you can change things to meet your agenda......I'm not saying your...
I remember years ago when the only thing in the Prefab, ready to eat, heat and serve, peel off the clear wrap and microwave, new and improved, better than Yadda Yadda Yadda....... was a fish stick TV dinner. I remember the TV dinner really sucking. If you look at the freezer section in Costco it would make you think no one cooks anymore. The salt content is taking care off all our  "Taste" needs now a days. Don't worry because the Doctor is right there with a pill to bring...