or Connect

Posts by ChefBillyB

I put the leftover braising liquid in the refer over night so it gets the solid fat on top. I freeze and use it for my next braise or to make gravy for another dish. 
Waking up at 4AM.......NO Going into work and finding out your breakfast cook didn't show up.....NO Cooking on the front line and kicking butt getting the plates out fast...........YES Working with evening cooks and setting specials menu...............................YES Working through dinner kicking butt and watching what you created come to life........YES Going home, kicking off your shoes and having a beer. Looking over all the years it took to get here you...
When it comes to buying groceries from the big boys size matters. When I had one account I couldn't get good pricing. The best way to explain it is, when I started my business I called them. When I expanded my business they called me. Some of the companies I worked with even remolded an existing account to fit my needs when I took over the account. If your a little guy don't expect low prices. In the early years of my business we would check the store ads for specials. My...
GGGEEEZZZZZZZ with a screen name starting with Flip I would have figured you'd be the pancake Queen of the fishing village. I have used Krusteaz for years both in my food services and at home. Pancakes were always a great item for camping along with a few slices of Spam.  When it comes to box mixes, I figure they know more about whats right for their product than I do. 
When all else fails follow the directions.....     Mix 2 1/4 cups water and 3 cups Hungry Jack Complete pancake mix in a large bowl. Stir gently until the big lumps are gone. The batter will be a little bit lumpy. Pour just under 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet or griddle for each pancake.
Chalk, Go on Google and search "Food Truck Kitchens pictures" then click on more images. That will give you more answers than you even have questions for. I think it's a good idea getting a job at the Cuban restaurant. I hope you do well. Don't worry about holding the fried bread or flat bread items. There are steam tables available that will hold all your food up to temp. There are refer cold cases that will hold all your cold vegetable items. If they is a need they is a...
Jake, There are many things and reasons that bring us to restaurants. What impresses me when I read reviews about restaurants is when I read the people in the restaurant went the extra yard. The real quality comes from how your experience was with the customer service. The thing that brings me back is how my family is treated and taken care of. If I read your review that just change my mind no matter how good the food is. Poor customer service could leave a bad taste in...
The Chef did it on purpose as payback for having to do it after he/she said no. Every cook, Sous and Chef knows how to time the food in the kitchen so all the food arrives at the same time. This is old school Chef letting everyone know how screw with him/her. It's obvious the manager has no control over the Chef. Most smart Chefs realize this doesn't happen ver often. It's easier to just do it and move on and not make more out of it than he/she should. Pick you battles,...
My answer to you was for operating a food truck. I'm just saying a food truck doesn't have large menus or staff. When it comes to running a restaurants your knowledge of food, management and skills will increase. If you feel that is in your future and you have the time to accomplish formal training then by all means do so. 
Are you picking this kind of food because it's a food you know, love and cook well. Is this a food that people tell you is something special, wonderful, full of great taste and unique flavors. If the answer to this is yes, then your on you way. You don't need to be a chef to cook good food. You also don't need to chop veggies like a chef to cook a few good entrees. Start at the Health Dept find out whats allowed in your city.