Posts by ChefBillyB

The problem I see with frying them at home is having a fryer large enough to fry the large flour tortilla. When the basket/bowl mold is pressed over the center of the tortilla, the oil bubbles up. The taco salad bowls you see in restaurants are made with large flour tortillas. Some of the bakery's in your town, most located inside grocery stores may make this type of shell to sell. Im my food service I have sold the shell to people for home use.....
Are we talking for home use ??? if its for a restaurant use this.....  
There are many versions and ways to make and present ceviche. This is one that could work for you......Good Luck
I have never made Cordon Bleu any other way but in the oven. If it is a chef video it would be the way it's made in a restaurant setting. Most all dishes like this would be started in a pan and then finished in the oven. The way you did it was fine. The way the chef did it was quicker and may have a bit more color to the appearance of the crust. 6 of one 1/2 doz of the other.......
e360, What part of Washington State ???? I sent my Son to a Culinary school in Portland, Oregon in 2000. I could have shown him the basics but it would have driven both of us nuts. He later graduated and worked with me for 15 years. I got him a internship at a restaurant in the Tri-Cities that had a nicer menu that he could learn something. I feel in many cases many chefs don't look at a internship as a help to you but, more of a 8 week free helping hand. Make sure you get...
Hi Deb, Welcome to Cheftalk! This is a presentation I saw on line from a restaurant in Houston Texas. I thought it may come close to what your looking for. I think you may have misspoke when you asked for a "Salmon Steak" instead of a Salmon Filet. The picture on the bottom shows a white fish that is contrasted with a pinkish seafood type sauce. I figure you are working with some of the best tasting salmon in the world. The salmon itself should be high in Omega 3 fatty...
There are many factors to remember when trying to cost out a catering menu. First of all you only know what you know. The location of the sides could be first so there is less room on the plate to pile on the meats. People will always pile on at the beginning of the buffet and then taper off at the end. With the meats being at the end you can figure two slices of Brisket (4oz), one chicken thigh and either a whole or 1/2 sausage. This is the way you control how much food...
I have a strange feeling there are many more machines on the market than there used to be. I would recommend  finding someone who has a business in your town and ask them the pros and cons on the machine. You could also call the manufacture and ask who the distributor is in your city/state/country. If you're starting a business and this machine is a big part of that business then you want to be 100% sure it does the job. Give me some info about your business as far as what...
You can also look into restaurant food/equipment shows near you. Some of the larger shows will have lots of soft serve machines available to view with the newest ideas in the industry. For me the larger shows were in Portland, Or, Seattle, San Francisco and LA. It's nice to view and taste the product from each manufacture and learn about the machines.
Economical, soft serve machine and opening a new ice cream parlor can't be in the same sentence. For one thing if your looking to do a big/fast soft serve business you need a machine with fast recovery. The better the machine the better the recovery. All the good machines are expensive. DQ always used Taylor. Taylor machines have been around for a long time. Let face it if it's good enough for DQ with their volume then it's good enough for me. If your looking at high usage...