or Connect

Posts by ChefBillyB

Phaedrus, This guy never played football and he's now asked to QB the Super Bowl. 
I agree with Pete, the precut stuff tastes a bit off. I feel cutting your own is a better product. I have used all kinds of precut for catering. The only precut I felt did me any good was the shredded lettuce I used for burgers......
 That's not even close to being true. Everyone I know including me gives a basic 15% at most casual dining restaurants. When I go to upscale restaurants and the service is better than good I leave 20 to 25%. This happens with nobody watching. I think you see what you want to see.......
I've used Rich's and Brisgeford in some of my employee cafe operations. We had a proofer and they raised real nice. The items I used were, hoagie rolls, Italian loaves, Kaiser rolls and cinnamon rolls. For my operation it was a nice way of getting consistency in the product. I though the products we used brought a nice fresh baked approach to these operations.
I agree, I would run the place using myself and my Sous. The cooks would come in at service and close. This worked out for me in the past. I feel it's not only time to rethink the BOH but, the FOH will really get a makeover. Just think of paying a hostess $15, busboys $15, I can also see waitstaff taking on more tables. My question is, what does the Minimum wage do to all other wages Like if your Sous was already making $15 per hr, would they now be making Min wage??? This...
Here's a company in NYC that could do all the restaurants speciality meat cutting needs. http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/11/pat-la-frieda-wholesale-meats-factory-tour-west-village-nyc.html There are many reasons to outsource labor, money isn't all of them. A restaurants may want to hire a Chef on the front line and have two less cooks. They may not want to put the kitchen cleaning on the Chefs list of chores. If you hire quality people you can outsource the...
I agree 100% chef! The problem I had in past operations was that I couldn't find qualified help. In a lot of cases I had to hire two employees to do the job of one good one. When I started my own business I took over operations that were really labor intense. One operation had over 20 employees, after I took it over we had 10. They stayed open from 2-5, I closed. I some 24 hr operations I closed from 2PM to 4PM and 10PM to 2AM. Thats a big cut in labor with losing very...
The new $15 min wage law is going to push hundreds and thousands of restaurants to innovate. The new law will put an extra labor charge on a small diner of 5 employees to about $200 more per 8 hr shift. Just think of what this does to the casual dining restaurant that has 20 employees. Hows does that restaurant make up $800 in extra labor per 8 hr shift. I don’t think people really see what this is going to do to the restaurant industry. I can see a big overhaul of how...
I'm going to make up a sign saying this! I 
I'm not going to say I agree with the process, but, I will say I have had a few tomato slicers in the past. There not cheap so the $150 range looks about right. I would look to see how much time and labor you can save with the tool. I think $150 isn't a bad price to pay for a tool that can save you a lot of time. The problem I always had with my prep people was that they were slower than heck on chopping. Thats why I had my wife do it, it kept her busy and out of my...