or Connect

Posts by ChefBillyB

You will only make good money when owners seek you out. You will never make what you think your worth if you seek them. It's important to learn quickly that it's more fun being the hammer than the nail. 
I bought this book in 1997 when I started my business. I paid about $60 for it at the time. I decided to look it up and it's now selling for $6. I realize things change but there is a whole hell of a lot that stays the same. The basics for one are something every Cook/Chef apply's daily. I looked up and the same book from CIA it's now up to the 9th edition and going for $130. This is one heck of a book for $6. I remember not being able to really afford a $60 book at the...
Chef Brah, IMHO, there are a few keys to owning a successful business. When your first thinking about being in business someday, start evaluating your strengths and weaknesses. If your doing ok in the food/cooking area, but, have a hard time managing then work on that. Be honest with yourself because not being good in managing people will come back to bit you someday. When I started my business the first thing I did was hire a bookkeeper to keep everything in line and keep...
     The steamer could steam the ribs and pulled pork in the bags. You could cook them faster in the steamer and then hold them at 160 degrees in the water bath.........
66K a year in NYC is a living wage. The only reason why most Chefs stay in this business is because of their passion. The only way to make any money in this business is to have your own. If your working for someone else you will never make the amount of money you deserve. Most chefs stay in this business because it gives a person a high amount of self satisfaction. Put self satisfaction together with passion you will have the recipe for happiness. When I look back at my...
Reheating can be done in many ways. If need be, it could be brought back up to temp in a steamer. I think you like the results because your not using a dry heat to reheat. A wet heat keeps the two products in good condition when reheating. If your getting busier you can invest in a steam that would bring back your product faster under a higher steam temp. After its brought up to temp it could be put into the holding waster bath. This way you can have two things working at...
All the recipes I see don't have brown sugar. Like Brian said, use a more traditional recipe.
Cronker, Most people don't understand the complexities of opening a new restaurant. They think everything just happens and falls into place. Of course you should sit down and tell them how wrong they are. The one and only thing that would save anyone from a bad opening is being in a tourist area. If a tourist gets a bad meal in the past they probably aren't going to come back anyway. In todays world with Yelp and other sites like it, bad reviews can mount up in the...
I started a few homeless feeding programs with my clients serving the community over the years. I picked a day one day a week and offered lunch with my clients serving it up and acting as waiters and waitresses. I also ran the holiday feeding program during the holidays. That being said and in many cases the holidays is the time everyone does something for the homeless. I think it's important to follow through with a feeding program all year long. I picked food because...
      https://youtu.be/wNRiFBrX7Nk