or Connect

Posts by ChefBillyB

I have never seen a cook that couldn't get a job some place. Even if the list of restaurants they worked is as long as your arm. This doesn't happen in any other industry. I look back now and wonder how I ever hired some of the people I hired......
IceMan, starting your own post is like Rocket Surgery stay far far away. Good luck buddy I hope all goes well. Where is this place you call Chicago....
I agree with you, the problem is people don't know what they want. I remember going to a Mongolian barbecue, the main vegetables and meat were ok but what the hell did I know about the sauces. I just wanted to hand it to the guy and say, you figure the sauces out. I think you need to get the concept as easy as possible to make it easy for the customer to feel comfortable when ordering. I could sit with a party of 6 people at a table and no one know what they want and they...
I do everything from Meatloaf, Salmon, Top Round, Ribs, Turkey breast, Dbl cut pork chops and so on. Some of these are cooked for 48 hrs Sous Vide. Think of what you eat and then think of how it will fit into your new Sous Vide method of cooking. 
Hi Sunny and Welcome. In most kitchens I managed, If all was well I would take off Sunday and Monday. My Souse would be off Tuesday and Wed. This all depends on how busy Sunday is and if so I would work 1/2 a day on Sundays. The why you decide on how much your Sous does is when you know what you "HAVE" to do. There are somethings in the kitchen that have to be done but, it's ok for you to oversee them if the Sous does them. In most cases I want my Sous on the floor working...
This idea could be good if you wanted to repair bikes in India. But, I would do it for cooking in a different country.......Sorry, back to the drawing board..
Pete, your right!.....The chains just want their managers to know the polices and enforce the polices. The more independent thinking the management does the less control the chain has. Walmart was one of my clients. They just want their people to follow the rules, just think if the managers in every store did what they thought was right. Walmart would have been out of business many years ago. They don't care what you think, They just want you to think as they think and...
I think it's important for you to be the best you can be. But, then again, I tell everyone that. This isn't all on you, you deserve to be able to work without any harassment. If I were the Chef in that kitchen I would tell all the employees that everyone gets treated with respect and everyone is equal. If I as a Chef hired you it's up to me to make sure your given every chance to succeed. Learn this business and be the best. That way if anyone gives you any shit you can...
I'm thinking the name.........SORTA TORTA......sorta. 1. short for "sort of"...... A Gringo girls twist.......hook it up with a fresh fruit drink concept.
This is why it's easier to get a better quality food out of a large volume operation. They have BBQ coming out of the smoker every morning and serve that day. IMHO, I would set my sites on trying to build my business with great BBQ than try to chug along doing it half assed. You say you are mostly a scratch kitchen. If your doing most of the items in the kitchen scratch then why would you take the main entree and not make it the most important part of your day. If I had a...