Posts by ChefBillyB

Economical, soft serve machine and opening a new ice cream parlor can't be in the same sentence. For one thing if your looking to do a big/fast soft serve business you need a machine with fast recovery. The better the machine the better the recovery. All the good machines are expensive. DQ always used Taylor. Taylor machines have been around for a long time. Let face it if it's good enough for DQ with their volume then it's good enough for me. If your looking at high usage...
Chris, not a bad menu at all, I would be all over that. Service is really something we all want in high end restaurants. In 90% of the restaurants in America all people want is fast, hot. Americans are running all over town picking up kids. Both parents are working and I don't think anyone cooks at home anymore. If I was building a restaurant now I would build like the front line shot order cook style that diners used to have. All the stools would face the counter/front...
I think the FOH is more likely to happen sooner than later. You only need to tell a robot to smile once. The whole menu could be punched in on a iPad while the customer even sits at a table. When the order is complete they swipe the credit card then call your number when the order is ready. The thing I do like is, the robot doesn't take 10 smoke breaks during the shift.
Text #2......Hi Chef, I was going to go food shopping today but didn't have any money because I didn't work the last to weeks. Do you think I'll be on the schedule this week so I could maybe plan on eating again in the near future. If I'm not on the schedule could I come and pick up a few of my items in my locker and return the locker key ??????
I am really surprised a post like this hasn't come up nor often. My whole career in this business and working, owning in over 25 food services war employee nightmare stories. Im my cases I had all my foodservice establishments in rural area. I would say 90% of the people I hired and later fired were only out for themselves. I had people, take money from the register while I watched. Everyone wanted a job until it came time to work. Everyone wanted more money, more hours...
ChefJess606, I don't think the owner is worried about you leaving. I think it's about the owner keeping the loyalty of the employees in his corner. If the Chef has all the tools to get the loyalty of all the kitchen employees then what would happen if he canned you. Im many kitchens a good chef will take his crew with him. The kitchen employees don't have a lot of loyalty to the owner. In most cases the owner is a PITA, just another person to fire their butts. As a owner,...
IMHO, it s/b up to the Chef to control food and labor costs. The only way labor can be controlled in your case is if the sales are through the roof and it doesn't matter. If thats the case then food cost will also fall into line because volume solves all problems. I agree a POS will keep track of what items are selling. The owners maybe successful in other business ventures but it does take a knowledgeable operator to be successful in the restaurant business. Some people...
Hi Luk, welcome to Cheftalk. First of all I am thinking and praying for you and your country after this terrorist incident in London. The best from your friends across the pond.    As for your 1/3 life crisis I would have to say your age isn't even close to being a problem. The food business isn't about working in a job and just going with the flow everyday. I would hate to work in a job everyday that didn't give me a feeling of accomplishment, pride and fulfillment. Take...
First of all welcome to Cheftalk. Second of all, your food looks great I could see people be surprised with the appearance and quality. I was legally called out a few times because people turned me in for this and that. If you hire and fire 1000's of people over your career something is bound to happen.   I would talk with the person at the department of workers rights and see what they're looking for as far as compensation/ settlement to satisfy the claim. It's not that...
San Francisco ain't the town it used to be. It would be real hard to find any place to live worth wide in the city. The city also has a lot of homeless and the city isn't controlling them real well. At one time it was my favorite city, it's not even on the top 10 list anymore. What is your opinion of Portland, Or or Seattle ??? Lots of good thinks in both cities with a good nightlife. The Pacific Northwest has a lot to offer with great hiking trails a short hop out of...