or Connect

Posts by ChefBillyB

What Phatch said! And just to add something. If there is any bacteria on the outside of a steak, chop or chic breast it will be killed when the item is cooked. This is why e.coli is a problem with ground beef because the meat is ground and the bacteria can be spread throughout the mixture. 
Inventory, is a great reminder of all the stupid things I have bought. When I formed my own business I set it up with a small amount of shelving so I used what I ordered. In my older operations the dry storage area would get larger and larger. When I walk into other kitchen I see dry storage with a lot of cans that I bet don't get used for months. I also hated doing inventory and would do anything to shorten the ordeal. I organized my walk-in freezer and refer so I could...
This menu is heavy on protein. IMHO most guys will go for the beef and the gals will go for the chic and fish. When your doing a buffet with this many entrees you really can't look at full portions on each one. A 6oz portion of beef would be enough for a meal. Lets say the beef entree is in the first chafer. Most will take the first item and then wish they could cut a portion of the salmon in half so they can just have a small bite. Now the chicken comes up and if the...
I freeze my own copper river salmon filets in vacuum seal bags. I never get this from salmon. I do see a lot more moisture with cod and Halibut after freezing and thawing in vacuum sealed bags. I wonder if it's just the nature of the beast. I don't see it in fresh halibut when i cook it....Welcome to Cheftalk...........Chef Bill
I would serve them with bacon and onions in the beans. My first answer would have been, I wouldn't serve green beans at a BBQ. But, I figured you already knew that.
Dispensing it to the guests would mean serving to the table or serving up on a buffet line ? If you serving it for a sit down meal I would get a 2 lb bag and portion in the salad bowl that you will be using of the function. After you get the portion needed then weigh that amount. If it's 2 oz then just figure 16 portions per bag........
In most cases Sous Vide is low and slow. In the restaurant business it may be to go a bit higher in temp and less hours cooking. I have also done BBRibs with real good results in Sous vide. In my case I'm not in a hurry so cooking for 24 to 36 hrs isn't that big of a deal. Some of the timing on something like Pork belly would go 24 to 36 hrs. If you crank it up 20 more degrees it would cooking in 8 to 12. The thing you may want to work on in a Restaurant operation is...
FB, your the Sous and your young. There is nothing wrong with asking these questions. It's good to get the perspective of seasoned chefs to find out what they do in their foodservice's. The only way to learn is to ask........
Im almost all cases you marinate chicken for flavor and beef for tenderness. Remember I said almost always and in most cases. The other maybe teriyaki and a few others. There is no reason to marinate chicken longer than a few hours up to 24 hours. If it's an acidic marinade it will be a short period of time. Again, your not looking to tenderize, your looking to flavor. The beef can go longer because your trying to tenderize. If you tenderize to long you may pick up to much...
I think there's many dishes that can be reheated well  as long are there's a bit of sauce with it. I made a Cilantro lime chicken last week that had great taste and looked wonderful. I would also look at doing something like a Coq au Vin or even doing a mediterranean type dish.