or Connect

Posts by ChefBillyB

My answer to you was for operating a food truck. I'm just saying a food truck doesn't have large menus or staff. When it comes to running a restaurants your knowledge of food, management and skills will increase. If you feel that is in your future and you have the time to accomplish formal training then by all means do so. 
Are you picking this kind of food because it's a food you know, love and cook well. Is this a food that people tell you is something special, wonderful, full of great taste and unique flavors. If the answer to this is yes, then your on you way. You don't need to be a chef to cook good food. You also don't need to chop veggies like a chef to cook a few good entrees. Start at the Health Dept find out whats allowed in your city.
This is Halal Guys in NYC. Take a look at them on Yelp there are lots of pictures of what they do.  That being said, what I wanted you to see is that they offer everything in one plate. Whats nice about a food truck is, you only have to do a few things good. Just offer a few tasty plates. The secret to success is location, good food, friendly people working the truck. Make the Health Dept your friend and make sanitation a strong point in your operation. 
I think you'll be fine! I hope your dinner turns out great......http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/gluten-free-tuesday-roux-rice-flour.html
This happened to me all the time in the food service business. When I first started moving up in this business, I was more like "Just show me how and I got it". I picked up everything fast and moved on to bigger, better and more important things. The everyday same menu didn't keep me motivated. I was board stiff in no time. Then I got back into Catering where I could work with different logistics, menus and people everyday. Catering always had a special place in my heart....
I don't get this post. Are we talking about cooking and browning a slurry like it's a Roux. Or does the OP want to just thicken a non Roux Gumbo with a Slurry. If this is the case how does one make a Gumbo without a Roux when the cooked brown Roux is the most important part of Gumbo........In using a word from my buddy, what in the bageebers is going on!
Not only would I not finish off this recipe, I would even start it. Nothing about this video is a good idea. The finish product looked awful, I could see why you thought you needed a bit more from the recipe. When you cook fish simper is best. The Halibut is the king of the plate. The buttery delicate flavor of the heavy white flake fish should come through. Take a look at something like this. http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/giadas-lemon-butter-halibut-0192509.html
After seeing this day after day I realized I wanted one of my lunch time tuna favorites. In most cases I always had alfalfa sprouts. In this case I had some pickles slices, spinach, lettuce, home grown tomatoes, cucumbers and sliced mushrooms. 
Chefjess, I agree and did the same thing in my food services. The only thing I'm wondering about with his restaurant is if it's a destination type restaurant. If this is the case he could sell for a higher cost. In other words his method of cooking and offering  the Kings bag is the reason why people are coming in the first place. 
http://www.menucha.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Kitchen-Policies.pdf   Take a look at this site and also Google Restaurant SOP or Standard Operating Procedures. This is only one example. If you need more let me know.....ChefBill