or Connect

Posts by ChefBillyB

Cronker, Most people don't understand the complexities of opening a new restaurant. They think everything just happens and falls into place. Of course you should sit down and tell them how wrong they are. The one and only thing that would save anyone from a bad opening is being in a tourist area. If a tourist gets a bad meal in the past they probably aren't going to come back anyway. In todays world with Yelp and other sites like it, bad reviews can mount up in the...
I started a few homeless feeding programs with my clients serving the community over the years. I picked a day one day a week and offered lunch with my clients serving it up and acting as waiters and waitresses. I also ran the holiday feeding program during the holidays. That being said and in many cases the holidays is the time everyone does something for the homeless. I think it's important to follow through with a feeding program all year long. I picked food because...
      https://youtu.be/wNRiFBrX7Nk
I'm just saying you don't have to throw someone else under the bus making yourself look good. I always respected loyalty in my kitchens, not someone running to the higher ups all the time. Just be honest about why your doing things. You want to make yourself look good to the higher ups. If this is your way of doing things so be it. Just don't make it look like it's something else. All that being said, if I had a assistant or Sous going over my head, I would fire their...
Keyword! Of course I said something to the higher ups, but what can you do. What you can do is just do your job. When I was moving up through the ranks I did my job. I never worried about what others were doing, I can only control what I do. 
Chefross, I use Yelp to see the pictures of the food. I can see by the presentation if the people in the kitchen know what they're doing. As far as service goes, I don't expect any service anymore in any restaurant under $75 per person. In most cases I see the service as being one step better then me getting up and picking up the meal myself. There was a time I went to a restaurant because of the great service. The only reason I go now is to eat and expect nothing more.......
Why not get 12 filet mignons and make individual wellingtons. 
I had a large scale breakfast spoon up operation in my business. I made some eggs to order but the scrambled eggs were made in bulk. I found holding them in plastic containers did real well. This method held them in a warmer covered without any reaction or turning green. We used eggs in a bag, "Whole Eggs with Citric Acid" because we served breakfast for 4 hrs. I have heard of people making the eggs in the oven but I never did. When you put direct heat/steam hitting the...
Now work on what a 90 day wonder is........
I had the same size kitchen and ran a dining room serve while catering three banquets. There's nothing you can't do in a kitchen that size.