or Connect

Posts by ChefBillyB

I'm thinking the name.........SORTA TORTA......sorta. 1. short for "sort of"...... A Gringo girls twist.......hook it up with a fresh fruit drink concept.
This is why it's easier to get a better quality food out of a large volume operation. They have BBQ coming out of the smoker every morning and serve that day. IMHO, I would set my sites on trying to build my business with great BBQ than try to chug along doing it half assed. You say you are mostly a scratch kitchen. If your doing most of the items in the kitchen scratch then why would you take the main entree and not make it the most important part of your day. If I had a...
I think the job you have now would be great if you were in the latter part of your career or even semiretired. At this point in your career you in a more building stage. You do need to get yourself into a position to grow, make more money and learn different operations. I would have loved to stay at some of the restaurants and food services I worked at in the past. The only reason I left was to better myself and my wages while moving up the ladder of success. 
Long Long hours aching feet and back. Missing most birthdays and holidays with my family. Wages that almost never met my ability to contribute to a successful profitable operation. Employees that never wanted to work together. Back stabbing cooks that were only out for themselves. Broken promises and dreams that never materialized. Looking back I could have don't just about anything else in my life. I worked in every position in every kind of food service thinkable. After...
IMHO, a stage is just what it sounds like. I don't want to see people who think we are seeing them as actors prepping the meals they do best. Anyone can shine doing what they do best. I would have my cooks interact with the person and find out what their like, I mean really like when no one is watching. I would set up a stage that's going to tell be how much this person knows. Throw them a whole salmon and have them filet it. Have them make a Hollandaise sauce, have them...
IceMan, I always started my Resume in the 80's. I never wanted to have to explain why I was either drunk or high in the 70's. I couldn't remember anyway.......  With the new $15 min wage coming in soon. I figure a Sous Chef s/b able to make $20 an hour based on a 50 hr week salary making it $41,600 a year. She is in Phoenix, Arizona and rents aren't cheap. 
fb, job description and what you can accomplish is the key for you at 21 years old. I would not only look at what their vision is for you but, also vision what you expect your position to be. What you don't want is to be a baby sitter with no input and the Chef getting all the credit. This will end up with you walking into the job with high hopes and leaving you with a bad taste. Listen to all these Chefs that will tell you that promises are many and follow through are...
 A so called Sous Chef in one kitchen couldn't shin the shoes of another Sous Chef in another kitchen. This business loves titles that allows our egos to fly high in April and get shot down in May. The only time I needed a Chef was in multiunit operations or large hotel with a lot of catering. In a smaller operation I just need people I could trust to get the job done. The front line cooks would never get anything done without someone keeping an eye on them. Every Chef...
Walking North and South is easy in Seattle. Have fun      Pike Place Chowder Real popular real close to PM.   Metropolitan Grill I go here for steaks after a Seahawks game. Fun old Seattle feel good bar. this is a bit of a walk but not bad.     Piroshki Piroshki right across from the market, more of a snack stop.     Elliott’s Oyster House  Casual dining good for oysters and crab. this is behind the market nice outside seating on the water.   The Pink Door   ...
A 14 oz bonnie pork chop would do great Sous Vide. This would get you your chop in half the time with just caramelizing the outside while not over cooking the outside and keeping the inside center tender and juicy. The chop comes out of the Sous Vide ready to be finished. This is the area Sous Vide really shines on a front line operation.