Posts by ChefBillyB

At this point it's really not up to you to point out anything. It's up to the Chef and Sous to setup sanitation and Daily operating procedures........OK, I said it, now this is what I would do..........To cut through the nice nice bullshit answer like I just gave you. If something is wrong in the kitchen, It's wrong. If something is moldy throw it away. If something is outdated then either use it or throw it. I expect my cooks, pantry or whoever is working in the kitchen...
A Day in the life of a fishermen's life. I could see you waving waving into the fog as he sets sail.......OH S-it, there was nothing in this about Fish! Ok, I got it! A Day in the life of a Texas Gal in her jammies wondering where the heck life has gone. I see a book with movie rights coming soon with Nicholas Sparks knocking on your door any day now.........
Tell the owner you'll run the kitchen and hire another cook. This way you'll have productive people working on the front line. The less dead weight you have while your climbing a mountain the better off you'll be. Talking to the KM isn't going to do anything. The place will run better without him. .........Good Luck........ChefBillyB
Sit down and tell your girl this is what you have been working towards for the last 7 years. This is a position you really can't see yourself passing on. Tell her you love her and want to spend the rest of your life with her. Being in this business is all about knowing how to balance your life. Tell her this is an opportunity you can't turn down and would love for her to come with you and help you accomplish your dream together. If you were  married with a house and three...
Catering or Vendor ?????? I'm not to sure you could pull this off unless your a well know Chef traveling around Texas. Catering is planned months in advance and you would have to be known to every city in Texas in order to be considered. The first good step is to know  flipflopgirl she is known at all the fish cleaning stations throughout Texas. One thing to check is if a insurance rider is needed if your using a city or county owned property. You would also need this...
My cooks used to always ask me, how long should I cook this? My answer was always, Just until it done, no longer. I braise all my meats at 275 degrees. I would say that most everything or most all recipes will say to bake at 350 degrees. Some may be at 375.....
I see these as helping to cut labor in the BOH. I also agree with Chefross with the biggest cost savings being in the FOH. The FOH service in our industry has been lacking  for years. There will be much more self-service and a higher quality of focus on food. I think we have come to the point of "Just wanting to eat" and a more no fuss approach to getting our food. You will see more iPads for ordering at the table with more card swiping paying method. The service will just...
I would only use Sous Vide for steaks if I was trying to cook a 2" Ribeye, NY or Filet. If your frying up a 1" steak it's easy enough to just cook as you normally would. I think of Sous Vide for beef as longer cooking slower process. This is a bottom round that was Sous Vide and had for dinner yesterday. It was in the water bath for over 40 hrs. After cooking at 130 degrees it was rare and tender. We pasture raise and corn finish our cows. I have hundreds of lbs of roasts...
Yes! Going back over the years they used to put in sour cream to prevent them from turning green. I was amazed how well they stayed in the plastic containers sealed with a tight lid in our standup warmer. We cooked/ scrambled the eggs on the flat grill and then stored in the containers. We also used these eggs for pre made omelets that also held well. They would hold even better if you used a plastic 1/2 pan if you were doing a buffet. The reason why I used these is...
No! Just think if that were the case. If your thinking of cooking outdoors for a group of people at a catered affair you may want to check with the City and Fire Dept about FireExtinguishers.