Posts by ChefBillyB

Chefjess, I agree and did the same thing in my food services. The only thing I'm wondering about with his restaurant is if it's a destination type restaurant. If this is the case he could sell for a higher cost. In other words his method of cooking and offering  the Kings bag is the reason why people are coming in the first place. 
http://www.menucha.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Kitchen-Policies.pdf   Take a look at this site and also Google Restaurant SOP or Standard Operating Procedures. This is only one example. If you need more let me know.....ChefBill
When you don't have time and all the ingredients in the house to make Birria. This is a dish in Mexico that is made more like a stew in a spicy tomato pepper sauce. Whats nice about having this kind of meat around is, it can be used for Tacos, enchiladas, and burritos. I'm not saying this is the best way or the most authentic way of making Birria. What is nice is it's a fast and easy way. This sauce would also be good for Chicken and brushing on grilled meats. I cooked...
I really don't think it's as much as how it's made rather being what you do with it. I Chefed in a Hospital many years ago. For lunch I would make a tuna sand for myself. I would use a good multigrain bread along with sprouts, sliced onions, lettuce, tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, sliced cucumbers. In describing the sandwich I would say the tuna was as much a part of the sandwich as every other item on it. I feel it takes good crunchy vegetables along with a great tasting...
mimi, Mama chicken lays the perfect food. The hen has a protective coating on the egg that protects the shell from bacteria. Of course that protective surface gets disturbed after the egg is washed. I keep my eggs on the kitchen counter at room temp for a few weeks. Some of the best conversations I have on any given day is when my chickens meet me at the coop door. When I see how good a hen brings up her chicks I have a whole different outlook when I crack an egg. I guess...
Get the recipe, point to the liqueur in the recipe and on the dessert menu. Then look her in the eye and ask ? "NO LIKE" >>>>>> Bring it up to her first.
Fresh farm eggs don't need refrigeration and pancake mix only needs water. Bread will also last along with jelly and peanut butter. Any dry pasta  will give good filing meals. Canned sauce along with any olive oil based sauce would work. mack and cheese with any dry cheese sauce. Canned taco meat, taco shells, salsa, refried beans, corn and flour tortillas. Spam Spam and more Spam......Those where the things I had at my cabin and I had a freezer and refer. I had these...
I agree, the $25 is a bit high for lunch unless it was for 2 people. Seafood is always hard to keep costs in line. Take Red Lobster ( By no means am I saying your food is comparable to them) But, the Sailor's Platter for lunch is $11.49 for 2 fish, 5 shrimp scampi, 4 fried shrimp and a broccoli side. The reason I talk about the platter is most for the pricing point. Most of the other seafood items on their menu are just a few pennies under $10. I feel a good pricing for...
Amy, welcome to Cheftalk. My ideas in most of these areas are a bit different than other views. Why does a person look at culinary school over practical experience working in a few different food services. The reason why School would be a good idea for most is because someone else is structuring your culinary goals. When you set up a career goal that fits your needs then you are in charge. This is your life, manage your life and life goals to fit you. You mentioned "I've...
The schedule for the Chef and Sous depend on the volume of the restaurant. This isn't a question on what does everyone else do, but, what are the reasons why you do it. There's a reason why the Chef s/b be there on certain days and why the chef could be off. If everyday is equally  busy then the Sous needs to be as good of a replacement and have the same qualities as the chef. When a seasoned chef looks at a schedule for the two top people in the kitchen. They need to look...