or Connect

Posts by ChefBillyB

frankie, I wish you the best in your Pub. It took me a while to learn this but all I really ever wanted was to be who I am and practice the trade that I am good at and love. The reason why we love this business so much is because we get quick gratification from what we do. It gives us a sense of accomplishment that makes all the hours we work worth wild........ The best.......Chef Bill
I like the tiny home deal but I need something a bit larger. My plan is a live in trailer that I can park on the coast and travel to it as I want. Whats nice about this is I can park it in 1000 trails for 2 weeks at a time then one week out. I can also rent a space for a year with full hookups come and go as I like. This way theres no taxes involved and in most all cases under 4K a year.
I find most people don't think outside the box very often. It takes a lot of nerve to leave the real world for a world you make up one day at a time. We grew up being told what to do and how to do it. Most people don't know how to take the path less traveled. I did this in the late 70's, I bought a one way ticket to Hawaii a place I knew no one. I wanted to go to a place that I knew no one and had no one to fall back on. It was up to me to either succeed or fail. I changed...
It looks to be a buffet with the carved items. An array of fruit is mandatory, small pastry bites, mini croissants and specialty breads. Made to order waffles with different toppings. Whole Salmon or smoked salmon. Nothing s/b a large serving like slices of pie or cake. Think of people wanting small bites so they could try a lot of different items. Cheese platter, Mini eggs Benedict, Mahi Mahi almandine, Stuffed french toast, bread pudding, Seafood platter, Spinach or...
If you don't have any problems then once a month is fine. If you have problems controlling food cost then the 1st and the 15th. If food cost is higher on the 15th then you have 2 weeks to get the answer and lower it. This also goes for labor cost control. If your labor is high at the 15th of the month it's a lot easier to lower it in 15 days. Most all of my operations were always in line so I only did it once a month..........
The Pacific Northwest is all about Cod and Halibut. If I were to open a Fish and Chip place I would use a large flake fish with a light tempura batter. This will give you a crisp outside leaving nice size chunk of tender white fish on the inside. I can't believe how many fish and chip places screw this up. Whatever fish you use make sure it is served hot and crispy right from the fryer. Make sure your tartar sauce is second to none. Serve fresh cut, fresh fried French...
James, first of all your only 19 years old. You will not believe how much better you will get in a few years. I have trained some of my employees that most people would never have believed they would come from the dish room to managing a portion of my company. All I did was give them the encouragement and build their self-esteem to succeed. I have no doubt you will find your way in this business. Restaurant kitchens are controlled chaos, most other kitchens are just...
Hi James, welcome to Cheftalk. I think it's just a matter of picking the right foodservice field. There are many food service positions outside of restaurants. There are a lot of upscale cafes inside Hospitals and industry that offer challenging positions. I was a Chef in a Hospital and loved it. I also had my own business in contract food service management in employee cafeterias. These are not the cafeteria's of yesteryear. You are able to accomplish your culinary needs...
If a machine could have replaced some of my cooks I would have done it years ago. The machine never gets sick, never a no-show, never comes in drunk or high and never gives me any bullshit. 
Have the GM work the line so he could feel the necessity and importance of doing things right. I would also bring the whole service staff for a kitchen line orientation so they understand the importance of doing it right ad what happens when things get screwed up. You can only train people who care. No one knows or cares what the kitchen is going through unless it's on their back.