or Connect

Posts by Bruce Aidells

:chef:Yes let's hope so because we aren't going to get much help from the large chain grocery stores.
Johnston County makes a country ham which can be eaten raw like prosciutto which is fabulous. B
In light of Thomas Keller's new book Under Pleasure (I have not read it yet), I assume that more chefs are going to try sous vide. That is scarry since some may choose to toss some garlic or onions or some other veg that may very well be loaded with the common soil bacteria, bolulina (sp)? That would not be good.
My god maybe they will uncover a pre-Roman ham in some cave. Did you get to taste it?
The pleasure was all mine and there were some very good questions and I really appreciate the interest there is in learning more about meat and how to cure and preserve it among the chef community and other users of the web forum. All the best, Bruce
To answer your question about andouille. The wholesale pack is still made in the 12 inch links. Contact the company to find more info who may have it in your area. Instead of the web try Amazon or a well stocked bookstore. There is an excellent book , Butcherungm Oricessung and Preservation of Meat by Frand G Ashbrook that show how to construct a smokehouse as does one by Wilbur F. Eastman JR on canning, freezing and smoking.
sous vide can be dangerous because of the risk of bottulism as well as other pathagens and should be taken seriously. I support controls and proper training for chefs and kitchen that want to pursue this technique since it can be deadly. As far as aging meat the issue is having a frig that can maintain the proper 34 degrees and humidity which means it should not be opened and closed very often and few restaurants can afford to have such.
Ice is used in German style emulsified sausages to help create the emulsion. I never use it because I don't make this type of sausage. As far as prunes and other moist ingredients they are used to replace fat and still give the sausage a moist mouth fill and are not related to emulsified sausages.
As far as I know it is usually from pigs. It is the omenum, which is the lacy fat of the belly. I have never removed it myself so I can't help you there.
I know that a lot of steakhouses use such and I think it is a good idea if it makes the results more tender without completely destroying the texture. __________________