or Connect

Posts by Bruce Aidells

ones that have the most marbeling
I have cooked this legendary cut and can't figure out what makes it special. It is one of the muscles that holds up the enormous head and is very gnarly. After I cooked it for many hours as well as in the sous vide method it just tasted like ordinary pot roast.
You can also use sheets to wrap small birds or around fillet steaks. B
I have one in the back of my firg athat has been there for 2 years.
I'm jealous for all the great pork you have in your area. It is a little different here in San Fran. My only experience up close with a Duroc males sire was that he was pretty mean. Maybe he thought I might horn in on the action.
Humidity is very important and the requirements change as the salami cures and ages. Generally it is higher at the begining and then gradually reduced to about 65% for the air drying and aging phase. Again the details are too much for the email but well explained in my pork book. B
You could also make lardo, the Italian cured fat which has become popular becuase of chefs like Mario Batali. I have a very good recipe in my pork cookbook.
I hope that butchery will come back as a respected profession and I believe the interest is there especially with the young chefs I meet.
I have never used anything but natural casings.
There are new products happening at Volpi....walked in a couple of weeks ago and found guanciale....too fun! They've also got a line of wine sausages. All this a good news and I too see lots of chefs in the Bay Area buying whole animals and makes all kinds of salumi and charcuterie. My only worry is that they pay careful attention to hygene and other food safety risks. Glad to hear about Volpi which is a great old style Italian salumi producer. B