or Connect

Posts by Bruce Aidells

As the water content reduces it can no longer solublize as much salt and some of it comes out of solution and begins to crystallize. Also some of the crystals may actually come from protein as it ages. The same thing happens to well aged Parmegiano Reggiano cheese. B
Besides heirloom varieties of pork like Duroc and Berkshire I have been working a lot with bison and other grass-finished meat. In the case of bison I feel that many are missing the boat concentrating on the steaks and roasts instead of the tough and gnarly shoulders on legs. When properly cooked with long slow moist heat the cartilage turns to soft gelatin which provides these cuts with a soft rich texture but not will all the fat. B
some chefs are paying farmers to raise on certain feeds.....ie jersey whey, or apples, talk is that some want acorns....which as far as I know has not happened yet but will be interesting..... I am thrilled that we finally have a choice of what kind of pork to eat. The revival of heirloom varieties you mentioned above makes me and my tummy a very happy chappy. I am a big fan of Duroc whose large and well marbled legs produce fine hams and whose bellies have the perfect...
I decided as you implied that I was a much better cook than a scientist and the fact the government was no longer willing to fund the lab where I worked made the decision to leave science and pursue my cooking career and easy one and I have never had any regrets. B
I address salami and other dry-cured meats like pancetta in my latest book, Bruce Aidells Complete Book or Pork. There are health risks in making salami discussed in this book in some detail and I would not ever recommend that you take a non-salami recipe try and dry cure at temperatures that could make you sick. While the recipes for salami are actually quite basic, the aging and air drying requires much attention to detail which is far too lengthy to discuss in this...
There is no need for a next since I have always been doing many varied activities besides just owning a sausage company. Now that I no longer own that company that bares my name I spend more time on the other activities which include writing, cooking classes and special demos, cooking segments on TV, and consulting with specialty food companies. I also am going to do a new cookbook which deals with your second question. I believe that more of us will be turning to...
The dryness of ground beef is dependent on the fat content. I prefer a minimum of about 20% fat which in the old days was called ground chuck. Today even if it is called ground chuck it doesn't necessarily have to come from the chuck but the naming instead is based on the fat percentage of 20%. As far as grass-finished beef it can be nice and juicy and tasty if it has ample fat. Again 20% is ideal. To my taste ground beef made from chuck meat is the best tasting so...
Try making lard. Its great fat for cooking a baking
The Southern Foodways is doing just such a project in their oral history project and it does include a sausage maker from Cajun country who is the uncle of Donald Link form Herbant in New Orleans. It is already happening and many young talented chefs are considering careers in butcher rather that opening up there own restaurants. I also know many chefs working with folks who raise a pig or do to turn their meat into delightful concoctions. B
You ask lots of questions. La Quercia prosciutto from Iowa is as good as any I have had in Italy. The guancale and pancetta is good too. Vande Rose bacon is very special if I don't say myself. b