Posts by chalkdust

thanks Colin that is great advice. and what do you know, peace corps goes to guyana. but i have no leadership skills. i spend my free time reading and playing the congas and african drums (djembe). i will have to look into the volunteer stuff
Thank you for the advice.
well i hope someone finds these recipes as interesting as i did. the good news is the anthropology dept hired a cultural anthropologist who specializes in haiti. he may end up teaching haitian creole. so that is one mystery solved. i also connected with an old caribbean literature professor of mine. he says he remembers me, he knows all the authors i am into, we clicked rather well, he was very friendly and he said he remembered i was intelligent and said to keep in touch....
I used to have a best friend from guyana in highschool and undergraduate years.  We cooked together guyanese and caribbean food.  Guyana is a south american country but part of the caribbean culturaly, at least on the coast.  I am now 33 years old and something of an african and caribbean literature, religious scholarship, polemic, history, critical theory (post colonial studies) and anthropology buff.  I am in school for anthropology and hope to get into grad school,...
it evokes thoughts of fried pork marinated in sour orange juice similar to haitian griot i believe, flan di pina, moros y christianos and ropa vieja the delicious beef stew, and lechon with yams and coffee that is fuerte, and a chance to learn some rumba or do some bata drumming, maybe. there is a lot i want to learn about the secrets of cuban cooking. do you have to speak spanish though, im guessing you probably do. if i was a chef i would be down.
maybe a loo or lu sauce?
I used to have a best friend from guyana in highschool and undergraduate years.  We cooked together guyanese and caribbean food.  Guyana is a south american country but part of the caribbean culturaly, at least on the coast.  I am now 33 years old and something of an african and caribbean literature, religious scholarship, polemic, history, critical theory (post colonial studies) and anthropology buff.  I am in school for anthropology and hope to get into grad school,...
there is a chinese restarAUNT here run by indonesians, but the indonesian menu is the best. tripe and tongue soup, fried duck leg, spicy tofu etc. i cant remember. its a sizeable indonesian menu and it is the bomb. i remember there being some sort of vietnamese cow foot soup with rice noodles, and dont forget the roast chicken ga ro ti!
I have a clue how to bake as I have been around home baking my entire life and have done it myself for friends and family frequently, but I do not know how I stack up in a professional kitchen.  I have baked before professionally, but not massive scale, not anything fancy.  I have cooked fancier things for myself, my friends, and my family.  Basically I know how to cook the things I described in the recipe links.   I do not know if I could cook them efficiently enough to...
yes, I have been a professional cook before.  I guess I should update my information.  I am just a  student now.   Here are some other deserts we are considering.... we would just cook one desert a day. i think. this is a point i am unsure about and would like advice on.   Malakoff torte (I can post my dads recipe later, it is an austrian pastry: rum soaked lady fingers layered with an almond flour and buttercream...