or Connect

Posts by chalkdust

there is a chinese restarAUNT here run by indonesians, but the indonesian menu is the best. tripe and tongue soup, fried duck leg, spicy tofu etc. i cant remember. its a sizeable indonesian menu and it is the bomb. i remember there being some sort of vietnamese cow foot soup with rice noodles, and dont forget the roast chicken ga ro ti!
I have a clue how to bake as I have been around home baking my entire life and have done it myself for friends and family frequently, but I do not know how I stack up in a professional kitchen.  I have baked before professionally, but not massive scale, not anything fancy.  I have cooked fancier things for myself, my friends, and my family.  Basically I know how to cook the things I described in the recipe links.   I do not know if I could cook them efficiently enough to...
yes, I have been a professional cook before.  I guess I should update my information.  I am just a  student now.   Here are some other deserts we are considering.... we would just cook one desert a day. i think. this is a point i am unsure about and would like advice on.   Malakoff torte (I can post my dads recipe later, it is an austrian pastry: rum soaked lady fingers layered with an almond flour and buttercream...
I know that.  Lots of slums and shanty towns and favela type conditions.  I wanted the real caribbean, the real people and the real experience.  Whatever that may say about my privilege,, sense of romance and naivete. 
i have been to the yucatan peninsula, to berlin and to munich and a few other german and austrian cities...  Thanks for the heads up, I know from the literature that things like this happen to a certain extent, but I never really worried about it.  So how do you stay safe?  And no  I dont speak spanish and I really regret it as I love cubans and mexicans, guatemalans etc.
so did you make it in port of spain, nassau, kingston, etc?   what is your secret?   yes i read caribbean and african literature, i am an expert on it actually. i am also an expert on key caribbean and african thinkers poets intellectuals etc.  barbados has some of my favorite writers   yeah culturally i am a middle class half european half american, not too street smart. but have many black friends and caribbean friends.  i have evolving views on haiti and the...
I am not a professional chef, but a friend of mine and I would like to start a food truck with some deserts.  The question is, how long would they keep and what is the best way to keep them?  Assume  I know nothing about professional cooking please.  Here are the...
didnt mean to come off as pretentious. in my younger days i didnt read as much and i regret it, so now i read more. and i had no clue about anthropology, marx, or theory. its a life goal of mine, literature and carl jung especially. i want to "be a jungian."
thank you will pm you but just to gather info, i have to work first, finish school etc. i do want to live there one day.  I am good friends with a chinese trini who lives in ft lauderdale and commutes in miami, we talk about the caribbean all the time.  His cousin lives in curacao, used to own a brothel, now owns a restaraunt. speaks two or three dialects of chinese, spanish, dutch and papamiento as well as english.  I would really like to learn creole.  I am not sure what...
hey man... have you been to haiti? trinidad? barbados?