or Connect

Posts by chalkdust

INGREDIENTS2 Dry Coconuts, grated8 lbs Cassava (aka Yucca in US Stores)1 cup of mixed berries (blueberries, cranberries & cherries,) chopped1/2 cup raisins, whole2 oz ginger, grated6 cups granulated sugar2 1/4 teaspoon salt1 Tablespoon Cinnamon1 nutmeg, grated1 12 FL OZ can of Evaporated Milk1 tablespoon almond essence1 tablespoon vanilla essence6 oz shortening, meltedUTENSILS1 large bowl1 spatula 2 13 x 9 x 2 foil pans lined with parchment paper1 preheated 350F oven1 Food...
a cassava pone is a sweet baked dish from the caribbean regions. it is very well known in trinidad and guyana, barbados, st vincent and grenada, and it is also found in belize and panama and suriname.... by a different name, it is found on the coast of colombia with different seasonings, no doubt it is found in other places as well..it is baked in a pan and consists of grated cassava (which bakes into a gooey delight) that is sweetened with sugar, flavored with things like...
the jamaican plantain tart resembles the patties of the french and english west indies and the empanadas of the spanish islandsit is not made in a shell or custard bowltypical recipes are made with two cups of flour, a mix of fats is cut in: usually something like 1/4 cup of butter and 3 or four tablespoons of shortening, then a beaten egg and iced water is mixed in and the dough is refrigeratedi have heard that lard used to be the fat of choice, and coconut oil, chilled,...
AHA !pate sucree or pasta frolla .... pate sablee, pate brisee,I am researchingthank you!
why not?
there are many forumulas out there. I beleive I have seen ones as simple as equal parts butter and flour plus ice waterother ingredients are eggsbaking powderlard instead of butterbutter and lardlard and shorteningbutter and shorteningsome people say use jsut butter, soem say use just lard!an empanada is supposed to be made with only lard.how do I look at all this?what does each fat contribute?butter gives a flavor correct where as lard gives a tender quality as well as a...
Thank you for the great advice!
wow! thanks! yes i noticed the hump!