or Connect

Posts by phatch

There are things I like about our shipped food though. Lemons and limes year round is very handy. And Meyer lemons and key limes in season. The Cavendish banana is of reliable quality year round though not spectacular at any point. Cilantro and parsley from the greenhouse on demand. Same for green onions. And many things aren't particularly seasonal because they can keep well. Potatoes and other tubers, hard squashes. Even apples can store well in a cool basement for...
I confess I keep some of the canned stuff around and I use it when I get a sudden craving and don't have all the ingredients of hand. Maybe 2x year. Corned beef has so much sodium and I'm on a sodium restriction so I eat it very rarely.
I'm not a fan of the electric pressure cookers. They don't have the power for good browning or a quick heating to pressure. So I like stove top units. The Fagor Duo line is probably the best value. Get an 8-quart unit instead of a 6 quart. You can always cook smaller items in it but the extra capacity is great when you need it. One last note, I have a preference for US pressures of 10 and 15 pounds. The rest of the world cooks at about 8 and 12. Electric cookers only...
Hmm, you're scrambling eggs, then you can ignore my egg and hash holding comments. But corned beef hash with some runny egg yolk from the side, yum!
Corned beef from the round is sad. Avoid that even though it's readily available. Flat or point will cost you more but are worth it imho. My Costco has whole corned beef (both point and flat in one chunk) in cryovac ready to cook, but that's not so common. Most often it's just the flat. If you want to lean it out some, the flat is the leaner of the two cuts and easier to trim.    I prefer to pressure cook the corned beef. It's just convenient and fast. Or you braise it...
The temp is too low. 225 to 250 is better for low and slow ribs. You need hotter air as it's a poor conductor of heat.
Unless you're required to have a government license granted by a diploma or some other limiting certification by the country you're working in, most countries allow you to work in the field wherever you can be hired and without a specific diploma or cert. It's the employers decision. These sorts of restrictions are most common for doctors and lawyers.
Hardly. I do have a pretty good memory for what I read.
It can but there are other variables that have stronger effect. It's much more about time and temperature than a brief flambe.   http://adamliaw.com/article/kitchen-myths1/
I'm not knowledgeable about gluten free cooking. And you didn't mention which other starches she should avoid. I'm not impressed generally with recrafted foods to imitate something else. I'd approach it more from what else is good and will serve the purpose.    So perhaps a cooled polenta seasoned with garlic, sliced, and grilled.