or Connect

Posts by phatch

Dry brining is essentially Koshering the bird. I've taken to this as well. I prefer the texture, the speed, the simplicity. 
Never done it. Seen it done on a grill that way before. Seems you'd have to have a pretty high temp to generate smoke, but that will precook your bacon. 
Teflon is nonstick because it resists the Van Der Waals bonds of water. This is a laser etched piece of metal that does the same thing, but even more strongly.      Probably still susceptible to scratching from metal utensils, but still to have a surface that won't shed toxic chemicals at higher heat would be a great thing in the kitchen. And it should be tougher than teflon as well. 
You could make chowder, a ciopino, go chinese style with it substituting it in Clams in Black Bean Sauce.  Seafood dishes with Black Bean Sauce are quite good.   I admit an interest in trying it as a steak or chop, but it would probably be tough that way.   Italy used to have dishes for cooked Giant Mussels, so if you could find one of those recipes, a geoduck might substitute in nicely.   
It's the same reason as for any tough cut. It has to hit about 185 internal temperature to become tender. Usually simmering for a couple of hours. A pressure cooker will usually cut cooking time a little more than half but it's only a guideline, not universally so. 
That's pretty short for cooking a whole tongue. Probably twice that long would have been on the border of being tough still. An hour, probably about right, depends on how big the tongue was. 
I bet it's got a mayonnaise base, and not Hellman's/BestFoods mayo either. Probably Kewpie mayonnaise. I see this a lot in Asian restaurants in the US.    As to citrus, Lemon or Grapefruit would be my first guess. Orange is used a lot but is usually sweeter than what you've described. Take a good look at the menu and see where citrus is called out in the descriptions. I suspect they use the same citrus in multiple applications as it makes little sense to source citrus...
 For most pizzas, the sauce is the biggest flavor component. And it's a more common mistake to over-sauce a pizza than to under sauce it. Long cooked tomatoes don't taste particularly like tomatoes any more. They've lost their acid impact as well. In a pizza, the primary place you have to cut through the fat and dairy and other toppings is in the sauce. You need to preserve the acidity of the tomato and the most tomato flavor.  10 or so years ago, Kuan posted a link about...
This is pretty cool   http://www.cnet.com/products/ge-monogram-36-inch-induction-cooktop-with-sous-vide-accessory/    Wish it came with a circulator too.  
Wise choice.   Send me my 10% commission on your savings.