Posts by phatch

Base may be cooked to bloom or change flavors, activate starch and so on. Same reasons we cook anything else. You'd have to ask the author for specific reasoning on cooking specific recipes. 
Yeah, an early version of a slap chopper. 
A long time ago I was from Summit. I don't suppose i can really claim NJ much anymore. 
You seem like a good candidate for Soylent. This is not a joke based on Harry Harrison's novel (Make Room, Make Room) nor the derived film Soylent Green.  Rather it's a serious effort at simple complete nutrition for those for whom food is more hassle than enjoyment.    From your posts here, you're not consuming a healthy balanced diet in fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains accented with meat if desired. Rather it's largely fast convenience food. You and your body...
Ruhlman gives the hand rolling a try
I've got the duo and I like it
Your hygiene test is flawed in so many ways.    I'm not disputing that wood can kill bacteria. I'm disputing that wood is more food safe than plastic.     Wood doesn't kill fast and it doesn't kill all. The increased kill rate is not enough to matter. You'll get sick on wood as fast as on plastic. It's all about washing. And once you've done the washing, they're equally good FOR HOME USE. Since we're already washing, why are you arguing for a quality that washing...
Fond is the browned bits left in the bottom of the pan from cooking meat. I meant that I was using the onions to render liquid and work that off the pan to keep the flavor but prevent the fond from burning. Sort of like deglazing with wine, but a drier method.
If you will invest in a sous vide device with remote operation, you can manage all of these with a quick flash cook when you get home.  Anova or Joule are the primary home sous vide devices and you can run them remotely from your smartphone. Anova just released a new more inexpensive version at $99. Not cheap, but if it makes your meals work out, it seems a reasonable investment.  See this reference for the basics of delayed sous vide cooking. Read their experimentation as...
I made my attempt. It's not pretty, and the plating is sad, but I was late for other appointments. Took longer in the prep and cooking than I expected.    Built a rub of ginger, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, chile pepper, smoked paprika, turmeric and saffron. Made about 50% more than my reference recipes suggested. I'll explain why below.   Season chicken thighs. I slit along the bone on the hopes it would make for easy removal late in the cooking. Just an idea that...