or Connect

Posts by phatch

She sure wants to cook those eggs to death: Bring to a boil, simmer 40 minutes or longer. I guess these are just for looking at, not eating. 
Personally, just not a fan of Bittman's work. I've had way too many failures from his recipes and also dislike his writing style. 
My favorites for this purpose are:   Cooking by James Peterson. The older version of this is good too, Essentials of Cooking. This will give you technique and sample recipes using the technique. This is a great starting point because while you think you want just want to make food, learning the techniques that underlie food lets you improvise more on your own and get better faster. Use this book first. Then come back to this book at 6 months and 12 months. You'll learn...
He might have meant a dutch oven insert. http://www.amazon.com/Disposable-liners-Cleaning-Seasoning-ovens/dp/B0052Y83NU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427666797&sr=8-1&keywords=dutch+oven+insert     He might have meant a flame tamer/diffuser disk, but that would have been used under the oven.
When the induced eddy current style induction comes to market that works in aluminum and such, how does that affect this thermometer. 
I should also add Jacques Pepin New Complete Techniques. 
You'll wand some thing clad, but not too expensive imho. I'm a fan of Tramontina for those attributes. 
Never had such things, but here's a bump for some more visibility.
The barding and larding techniques of the past certainly have room for more exploration.    Many forcemeats present themselves as an option as a stuffing or a coating.    Dealing with the different doneness levels of the leaner cuts of pork or beef and fowl presents some difficulties. I'm tempted to build a braided skewer of chicken, pork beef, but which cuts to choose so they all finish at the same time eludes me. Maybe an aspic of the meats cooked separately and...
Larousse is not really aimed at home cooks in my opinion. For Western cooking, Joy of Cooking is probably better for recipes. If you want technique (knife skills, pan skills and such) James Peterson's Cooking or his older Essentials of Cooking  are both good.    If you want more professionaly oriented cooking books, Larousse is more reasonable. There are still other books I'd recommend before that one such as Wayne Gisslen's The Chef's Art.  He has written a number of...