or Connect

Posts by phatch

That was funny.  i bet it was Palmers. That stuff is particularly execrable.
It shouldn't achieve a boil unless you're at a higher elevation, where are you located?  Read the instruction manual. it will tell you how to use it and give you some sample recipes.  If you don't have the manual, get the model number off of it and enter it  http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/use-and-care.html  Then you can download the manual. 
Stroke the knife through the horizontal cuts just as for vertical. It will often take multiple strokes to complete the horizontal cuts. I suspect you're push cutting them which is difficult to do. There's a freebie video knife course that's good for this sort of thing. Ilk post the link when I find it.
 So this source is saying that for every thigh in the pot you want 7 minutes of cook time under pressure?  If so, that's not a very good source. As long as you're not exceeding the fill limits of your pressure cooker, number or weight is not such a factor.  The extra time it takes for the pressure cooker to come up to pressure  and start the timing is still cooking time. So the extra mass is mostly accounted for in that longer time to achieve pressure. Sure, if you tightly...
I'm not a fan of clarified butter for seafood. There's not enough flavor left in the clarified butter and I find whole melted butter more to my taste. I think this is part of the popularity for butter or olive oil poaching for lobster and such. Use a fat with the most flavor rather than one with the flavor removed.    Clarified butter is much better for high temperature cooking of course. And storing, even preserving as with confit or traditional potted shrimp or ham. 
I think I have distilled my beef with the list. It labels as skills specific dishes which is a misuse of the term. Skills go into the making of the dishes, but really this list is a list of recipes to perform, rather than skills with which to accomplish the recipes.   And this an issue of much of modern home cooking. Most people I know can cook a few dishes well, but really don't know how to cook. They have crappy knives that are dull and no way or even desire to fix the...
Skipped the fundamentals. Knife work and stock.
You can just simmer a liter or quart of low sodium chicken stock with about an ounce of shao hsing wine, a few rounds of sliced ginger for 15-20 minutes.  Options to consider adding in for the simmer for how you want the finished product: a crushed garlic clove,  a star anise if you want that anise hint. Season with soy and black pepper, vinegar if you want, but that's more condiment  for this purpose than primary seasoning. Same for the green onion, it's more of serving...
I do horizontal first just because I find it easier to hold together. That's just personal preference, not right or wrong. 
Clarifying butter both foams and settles. Removing the foam is part of it but you also want to remove the settled solids. Just melting butter in the microwave is not really clarifying it.      Butter is not a good choice for frying a steak as it burns in the hot pan. Finishing with butter is a good thing. Speed basting with butter is good too. But by the time you get to using the butter for basting, the pan is not as hot as at the start and the butter shouldn't...