or Connect

Posts by phatch

Um, no. The carbon doesn't really burn out of it. You can mess with the temper certainly. But it's not really about using a motor alone. If you have good technique, a motorized tool will work fine. Keep the knife moving so it can't build up enough heat to mess with the temper, it works fine.  A skilled worker at a slack belt on a belt grinder can produce an amazing edge.  A buffing wheel with some Black Magic Compound will make it scary sharp. 
This picture is 2 years old. I'd like to think I've improved some over that time.   The carrots at the top of this image were cut French style. The carrots in the lower part were cut in the asian technique under discussion.     I like to use this technique rather than grating carrots as well. It's a bit slower than grating, but I like the imporoved texture and appearance it offers for things like slaws and so on.    I went on to create a rice length julienne in...
I usually have the planks laying  the other way  as they come off my knife and cut right to left. I'm right handed of course.    If I need a higher regularity in the cut, I get that better with the french technique. But it's slower and more hassle. The length of the julienne varies a bit with this technique. I get a little sliding some too so my width isn't as precise. MK has a little width variation too, but not as much as I get. 
I've done a number of spicesetc.com orders over the years. I'm especially fond of some of their oddball powders that are otherwise hard or impossible to find:   Smoke powder  More versatile than liquid smoke and you have more control over the intensity. I think the flavor is better than liquid smoke. Keeps flavor a long time, but clumps up HARD. Grinds back up just fine. Very handy in a barbecue rub and some other fun places.  ground bay leaf--dried bay leaves don't...
A few of that list aren't at the sort of detail you seem to be looking for. IMHO, skip   Cookwise Bakewise   These mostly explore the highlevel effects of what's happening in home cooking and how to control for some of the common problems.    Ratio More about how to cook from memory knowing some simple common concepts   The Science of Good Cooking  in the line Cookwise and Bakewise with high level science explanations of particular recipes.    Of these 4, Ratio...
Classic techniques is basically French because it was codified by French cooks. This is what most cooking schools in the US and Europe will teach.   For learning at home without class time, there are two authors I think are best, Wayne Gisslen and James Peterson. A lot of people will recommend cooking textbooks such as the Professional Chef. I think these are better for people with instruction time in class and not a home cook doing it on their own.          Wayne...
It can take low heat in contact with food. 250 or lower in the oven for example. very low heat transfer rate and by being in contact with the moist food it won't heat up too much.  Microwave, you're not really in enough control of the temp so other methods are preferable. 
I think soy sauce is very important to fried rice, but it doesn't take much. 
If you have an induction burner, you can set it for temperature such as 190ish and not caramelize the sugars. 
Yes the plastic wrap.