Posts by phatch

Sweet setup.
The others don't concentrate heat to any special degree. They were just inexpensive ways to stabilize the wok.
They have their uses, but I disagree with Jake above. These are most commonly used for braises and in that use neither the cast iron nor the enamel are giving you actual performance benefits.    If you like them, sure, they' cook well and are pretty enough to serve from.    On the other hand, I find them somewhat fussier to use, clean, and store than comparable heavy stainless cookware.  I've used mine less and less over the years and my stainless more and...
You CAN get good quality. Soup is more about overloading the wok in most cases.  You need few enough ingredients in the wok that there is sufficient heat to quickly boil off rendered liquid. So watery vegies such as zuchinni need to be cooked in smaller batches than carrots or green beans which don't give off as much liquid for the same volume of ingredients as an example.    Other tricks like blanching vegetables and "passing through" oil for meats are helpful tricks...
A round wok cooks better for traditional Chinese technique all other things being equal.    But all other things are rarely equal.   Gas stoves aren't particularly efficient at transferring heat into the pan, or wok in this case. They average around 35% efficient. So your 20K stove delivers about 7500K into the pan, the 30K stove about 11K. Which is still quite a bit of heat to feed a family. Consider though that a wok stove in a restaurant is 150K so 50K into the wok...
Butzy or Ordo uses it a lot under the name Doubanjiang http://www.cheftalk.com/newsearch?search=Doubanjiang Fuschia Dunlop's cookbooks use it often. Ken Hom uses the spicy version in a chicken fried rice. Just add some Sriracha or sambal oelek or similar to what you've got. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/chicken-recipes/chicken-fried-rice/
Cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves...All ground. That's more Indian than Thai though. Lemongrass, citrus, cilantro, chile's
Now share what you're cooking with it.
InaBox has been a member here for 11 years.    Cheftalk allows posting of videos. Cheftalk doesn't host videos. They are hosted on Vimeo or Youtube. So the cost was never on Cheftalk. Vimeo and Youtube allow this for their own benefit and broader exposure. Embedded videos (so far), don't run the ads in my experience so there's no profiteering on Cheftalk's back.    If you go to Youtube and look at Inabox's videos, he does have one that explains most of what he's...
I've thought about similar things and will likely do the same in my next kitchen remodel. My opinion:   get as much wattage as you can install it in place. A portable unit will have an odd cooking height on the counter ornecessitate an specialized dropped part of the counter--which is essentially installing in place.  ventilation--it needs a powerful hood to deal with the smoke and oil issues. Plus, this is part of installing it in place. Any portable unit will be...