or Connect

Posts by phatch

As far as victorinox goes, true. But a bolster is often a scale addition, often of nickel silver in higher end  knives and not part of the blade/tang construction. Or a Weld on after the fact. I can show you many stamped knives with a bolster.  You're thinking of stamped knives as stamped and edge ground and done. Higher grade knives are often stamped to exterior profile only, then shaped in stock removal processes.   Stamped, VG10 San Mai, Bolster  $50 US. 
In my custard experiences, the biggest problem is weeping watery liquid. With the topping at service, I think you'll be OK a day ahead. There will probably be some crust degradation but not significant at that point. Day 2, the crust will likely be suffering some sogginess.
They're nothing special, but better than some steel wise. The profile design has way too much belly for kitchen work imho, almost more of a trailing point design. Generally, a set is not a very good deal to a serious cook as there's lots of filler and compromises in the set. The chef's knife in this kit is disturbingly short as is the bread/slicer imho.
The stamped Sandvik I've owned or handled was about 20 years ago. 12c27 was chosen for the project specifically because it stamped well. That pocket knife is long out of circulation now.
CPM can achieve alloys forging can't for one thing. And many very good steels are often stamp blanked, the various Sandviks as a general example. 
Stamped knives can outperform forged knives. And vice versa. There's much more to what makes a good knife than stamping (more technically, blanking)/forging. That myth should be put to rest by now. 
Glad you enjoyed it. The table salad concept is highly adaptable to various Vietnamese meals and simple to do. 
I've seen it paired with lavendar, but it's too floral for my tastes. And so is lavendar.
I've read good things about flaxseed as it's a drying oil, but I  don't think I've ever seen it for sale. In the end, I don't have problems with the regular common cooking oils.  
I was buying some Haloum today and was exploring the aisles. They had three different versions of Za'atar but the ingredients were the same and in the same order except for the Aleppo Za-atar which was redder,finer ground and contained wheat.    Jordaian, Lebanese and Aleppo   The Jordanian seems to have more sesame? The Lebanese looks a little greener and the Aleppo is distinctly redder and finer.    But what sort of ratio differences are we talking about? Does...