or Connect

Posts by phatch

The manufactured commercial varieties of balsamic are fine for this. The cooking time, treatment and heat would destroy the nuanced qualities of traditionally made balsamic vinegar. And the price would be prohibitive.   Your common grocery store varieties will do fine. You might want to reduce them a little with some brown sugar right up front if they're too harsh. Many of these are really just doctored red wine vinegar and a little grape must.   Costco's branded...
Pasta e Fagioli (pasta and beans)   Inexpensive because it's all about common vegetables and beans. I suppose you can argue whether this is a stew or a soup. It's cooking time is short compared to a stew because it has little to no meat. But it's very thick which brings it more into the stew category. And if you cook your own beans, you can consider that stewing of the protein. 
I prefer to eat Chinese. Japanese is often prettier, more structured and crafted. But Chinese has more range and depth. As an opinion of course.
You'll likely ruin your gasket. Pressure cookers are not meant for smoking. Get a Cameroon or similar stove top smoker. There is also wok smoking which is fairly straight forward and the pan can take it.  Here's one such guide, but google will supply many more. A good fan vent is important.   http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/07/26/425635093/put-that-wok-to-work-a-trick-for-smoking-fish-indoors
Get a pressure cooker. This simplifies many things but especially beans/legumes. It's also handy for braises because your cooking times will get longer otherwise with the lower simmering temps.   Consider pork shoulder or brisket where the finished temp is often 190-195, an artifact of breaking down collagen. Your boiling point is 194 at 9000 ft. So you will have some difficulty if you don't use a pressure cooker that will account for the lower pressure.    Baked goods...
Whole brisket was 2.65 today. They had the whole belly slabs too today team fat but I didn't check the price. 
It's in our butter and cheese as well.
Annato--google annato oil, use that instead of sauteing in butter. Usually made with olive oil, but you could use a neutral oil instead.    Turmeric can pack a yellow punch, useful to work with paprika for color. Together, often used to imitate Tandoori coloring.    Besides tomatoes, consider roasted red peppers. More flavor neutral.    Sumac packs a lot of soluble red color with a sour lemony flavor. Some wouldn't be out of place in lobster bisque. 
Walmart often has brisket at a pretty good price. Last time I bought it there it was for $3.59/lb for a whole packer. Costco, at least mine, also carries the whole packer pretty cheaply, I think it was 3.89 and of a better grade. Not all Costcos have the big meat cooler mine does though. The one closest to me is currently the largest Costco in the world. 
You can roast lean tender cuts as you've been doing. Eye of round is good this way and cheaper than what you've been doing.    I've lately enjoyed pot roasted brisket. Inexpensive, very good flavor. There's some trim work to be done up front if you buy a whole packer (and you should--cheapest way to buy it and you get both the point and the flat cuts to work with).