or Connect

Posts by phatch

Bacon is always a problem because of the sugar. You're caramelizing the sugars on the cast iron. no surprise it can be difficult to clean.  I've taken to baking bacon in the oven while i cook the rest of the meal. Less mess and hassle and clean up is easy.     I'll still do bacon in the pan if I'm going to follow up with some vegetables to pick up that bacon fond. 
@Nicko, I'm sorry I missed your post in this thread.   tl;dr  go to tacomaworld.com All the info you could want.    I love my Tacoma. But it needs to match what you want it for. My comments are for the model years 2005-2015.  Also, I have the 4dr double cab, not the access cab or standard cab. While the 2016 taco looks a lot the same, it's quite different.    The new full size models from the big 3 can beat it in mileage.  You can get at least 20 mpg between 70-73. At...
There's a red flag at the bottom of every post. Moderators can not see every post made in all the threads. If you feel a post or user is problematic, click the red flag. This highlights the message in the system for moderators to look into.  You'll also have a field to explain just what you find wrong with the post. 
dcarch, you made a convincing argument. Well done. 
 I think it looks more beef like. It's too thick for tofu skin, the grain is too regular and the surface is more muscle fibrous than even like dried tofu.  At least the tofu skin I've encountered. The lighting could be playing some tricks on things to. It seem more meat gray than tofu tan. but that's hard to be sure of in such a picture. 
It doesn't look like Pho to me at all.   Beef and rice is not a common combination. Working from generalizations, you see more beef up north which more wheat noodle country, not rice. And you probable see more lamb than beef traditionally. For restaurants here in the US, they often substitute to beef and rice.  On those assumptions, I did some searching.   http://cookingsimplechinesefoodathome.com/2011/06/28-spicy-lamb-pot.html...
It won't be tender like commercial chicken or turkey. Wild pheasant works much harder to survive and exercises its muscles more. This develops flavor, but also more structure. So yes, it will tend to have more chew than our common poultry foods. My niece raised a few turkeys in her backyard one year. These were large, lean and a bit tougher than commercial turkeys. Good flavor though. 
Semolina gnocchi, more like a hard polenta dish.   http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/how-to-make-semolina-roman-gnocchi-alla-romana.html
Potato gnocchi are the most common. I've seen ricotta and flour ones before, pumpkin and I want to say a pure semolina one, but I'm not sure on that one. 
I've had the romaine in Chinese Hot Pots and found it quite good.