or Connect

Posts by phatch

Absorbing smoke flavor takes time. The skin is better with a hot finish though.
This is a fallacy known as no true scotsman. You're welcome to have potatoes as your preference.
It's long, about 30 minutes, but I found it interesting, even if dated. Kind of took me back to grade school the way the film plays out. All those Bell Labs movies too.   I don't think they'd show some of the content today, even in modern form. The carcass handling and skinning systems were interesting to me but I can see where it would offend modern sensibilities pulling the beef skin off the carcass and salting it for shipment to the tanners. They don't want to know...
A lot of recipes target 150 in the centre of a cheesecake for doneness. I was surprised to see this sous vide recipe at 176 for two hours. I'm surprised it didn't curdle. http://skillet.lifehacker.com/will-it-sous-vide-creamy-cheesecake-edition-1786079579
Pasteurization is a factor of time AND temperature. So if you hold a lower temperature for a longer time it's just as good for safety. In fact a lot of things taste better that way. Milk pasteurized at lower temperature for a longer time taste better but costs more to produce. Cheesecake falls in this category, particularly with that long slow in-oven finish with the heat off. 165 is instant pasteurization 155 for 5 minutes is equally safe. 140 for 30 minutes is equally...
They're so pitted that they'll never release right; they'll burn at the drop of a hat. There's just no value in them except for recycle.
Mine always curdles and splits too without flour.
This question comes up often but in regards to too much salt, garlic or whatever. All you can really do is make some more minus the concentrated ingredient and thin out the first batch.  Which with scalloped potatoes is more troublesome than some other dishes. 
I use butter buds, mostly on steamed vegetables. The taste is quite good. It's just butter solids really, and some anti-caking. It's a simple way to cut some saturated trans fat and still maintain flavor. I cook with butter often enough too. 
To me mopping is about the texture of the rub and how it s behaving during cooking. A coarser rub forms bark better if you give a little bit of mopping along the way. If the rub is fine enough you can get pretty good bark from the moisture coming off the ribs naturally. A mustard slather helps in both cases. Of course cooking here at high altitude and low humidity, those can be contributing factors to my theory too. I just can't control for those variables to tell.