or Connect

Posts by phatch

To me mopping is about the texture of the rub and how it s behaving during cooking. A coarser rub forms bark better if you give a little bit of mopping along the way. If the rub is fine enough you can get pretty good bark from the moisture coming off the ribs naturally. A mustard slather helps in both cases. Of course cooking here at high altitude and low humidity, those can be contributing factors to my theory too. I just can't control for those variables to tell.
Go the other way. Roast in the oven, finish in the pan. Figure a 10-15 degree jump in the breast center for the pan sear. So roast chix to 145 to 150, Then pan sear to finish. You may have to experiment a few times to find the target temp in the oven that works for your preferred pan sear times. It will probably need a bit less sear time at the end than at the start so maybe 150 will work better?    Most here would recommend letting the chicken come to room temperature...
The gardening forum was VERY slow so it was merged into food and cooking. All the content is her e and we're happy to talk gardening still.
 I think this is because the flan weeps some more liquid which the caramel absorbs. It is an important step. 
Did you have it refrigerated?
In looking at your original post, did you ever add any salt? Salt and pepper are as important in vinaigrette as elsewhere. You have a fair amount of liquid to season and will only use smallish amounts. So it can take fair bit of seasoning to taste right combined with the salad or whatever. 
Imho, the ratio varies with the strength of the acid. Stronger acids will often go 4::1. Weaker acid 2::1. When you're working with the products of nature things can vary. Some lemons are weaker, some stronger. Lemons tend to be fairly strongly acidic. It's best to taste along the way so you can stop at the right point. Oil can enter into it too. Using only EVOO can be too strong. Use a neutrall oil for most of the fat, and accent with a stronger oil.
Rosemary and citrus go well together, very often in savory dishes but both can play to the sweet too. Rosemary and lemon was Napoleon's signature scent he had custom compounded. Sure, vanilla sugar is good too but it won't give you the contrast to make the citrus pop as we're taking about. You likely won't replace all the sugar with rosemary sugar.
Yeah that's good too. But the OP did specify Asian recipe.
Then, IMHO, you don't want a noodle dish at all. They're based on flavoring the bland noodle where you're working with something with a more specific, if not pronounced flavor.    Depending on which vegie you're using, you will need to strongly adapt cooking time, especially with zukes. They will cook very fast and will not reward the longer cooking time a regular noodle can take. Instead they'll turn mushy and weep too much liquid. You will also have a very tight...