or Connect

Posts by phatch

He might have meant a dutch oven insert. http://www.amazon.com/Disposable-liners-Cleaning-Seasoning-ovens/dp/B0052Y83NU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427666797&sr=8-1&keywords=dutch+oven+insert     He might have meant a flame tamer/diffuser disk, but that would have been used under the oven.
When the induced eddy current style induction comes to market that works in aluminum and such, how does that affect this thermometer. 
I should also add Jacques Pepin New Complete Techniques. 
You'll wand some thing clad, but not too expensive imho. I'm a fan of Tramontina for those attributes. 
Never had such things, but here's a bump for some more visibility.
The barding and larding techniques of the past certainly have room for more exploration.    Many forcemeats present themselves as an option as a stuffing or a coating.    Dealing with the different doneness levels of the leaner cuts of pork or beef and fowl presents some difficulties. I'm tempted to build a braided skewer of chicken, pork beef, but which cuts to choose so they all finish at the same time eludes me. Maybe an aspic of the meats cooked separately and...
Larousse is not really aimed at home cooks in my opinion. For Western cooking, Joy of Cooking is probably better for recipes. If you want technique (knife skills, pan skills and such) James Peterson's Cooking or his older Essentials of Cooking  are both good.    If you want more professionaly oriented cooking books, Larousse is more reasonable. There are still other books I'd recommend before that one such as Wayne Gisslen's The Chef's Art.  He has written a number of...
After the French Food discussion, a particular recipe came to mind, a recipe for Stir Fried Spinach with Garlic. 5 simple ingredients but two of them are mishandled, or at least handled at odds with traditional proper technique.    First off, traditional wisdom:   Stirfrying with Grace Young, among other instructions, keep the vegetables dry: http://www.chow.com/videos/show/youre-doing-it-all-wrong/62228/how-to-stir-fry-with-grace-young   Normal Stir Fried Spinach...
It could be a typo/editing mistake.  Does he continue to cook in the oven or on the stove top? That would be the best guide to what he meant.   From the way it's phrased, I think he means to heat the dutch oven  in an oven set to 350. Probably take about 20-30 minutes from cold, varying some by oven. 
I'm going to violate one of my rules of discussion and address you not the topic. You've not demonstrated that the chefs or judges from these lists have the abilities you ascribe to "true chefs" This is a logical fallacy that falls into the no true Scotsman category.   Ramsay is a competent chef. He gets things wrong as well. Chefs are not infallible with perfect knowledge of all cuisines and foods.  I strongly dislike Ramsay on as portrayed on TV, but when he gets down to...