Posts by phatch

Most people have inadequate knives because they're not aware of what it will do for them to have better gear. Nor that sharpening doesn't have to be complex or expensive although it can be as well. And there are people who just don't cook beyond subsistence feeding of themselves.    They never learned to chop vegetables, or disassemble a whole chicken. They muddle through and think that's just how it has to be.    Clearly you're a tool geek so it matters to you. And...
I've toyed with something I called Basic Beef Oomph. Haven't played with it in years though. I guess it was a phase in my cooking development.    It was based in dried powdered mushrooms, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, seasoned with some onion powder and garlic powder. As I recall. There might have been some other things.    Better technique and understanding replaced my interest in that effort. Still some seasoning tricks I use now and then to correct something that's...
The Great Cuisines of the world have all been peasant food. What the commoner prepared and ate. Sure, fancy court food shows up in feasts and such but is really an oddity more than a baseline of the cuisine.    Chinese, Indian, Greek, Italian, French, Mexican and all is about the eating of the commoner. Michelin stars are quite far removed from this imho. They're more elite performances and innovations. Think the Olympic Games. But does that mean the corner playground...
Me personally, probably not. The highest achievement in cooking programming is on PBS. That's for a couple of reasons. Careful curation of content. Food Network runs a lot of terrible programming. Cheap production, lousy cooking and ads ads ads to monetize it. YouTube has some gems but again there is so much noise to sort through to find anything I rarely bother. Your proposal solves none of it. Shootting and editing good video is not so much about an app as knowing what...
Waterless cookware of all types is an overpriced gimmick based on junk science. Avoid it.
It's pointless and overpriced Their claims bely the physics of the situation as well.    They use a tri ply clad pan and then stamp a base on it. So you've essentially doubled the amount the metal you have to heat up. This means slower heat up compared to a tri ply base. It will have some improvement in retained heat, but that's not a problem anyway in clad cookware. Worse, it will not respond as quickly to heat changes because of that retained heat, one of the...
Yeah, flowers with petroleum.
Freeze them, then bake from frozen. This helps prevent pie dough from slumping in the pan
I do something similar with rosemary, lemon, and garlic. It's quite good.
The stats have been borked for a long time.