or Connect

Posts by phatch

Even teflon benefits from a little fat. I find it helps as well to let the pan warm first before oiling it. Hot pan, cool oil, food won't stick. 
My approach is to just let it wear in as you sharpen it normally. Unless it's bigger than you made it sound.    While there has been much denigration of bamboo boards as too hard, it's more likely the glue is harder than the bamboo. Still, I don't think a glue line would have snapped the tip. Most likely, you just had a large carbide near the tip that was no longer well seated in the steel matrix from normal wear and when it popped free, it weakened the tip enough that...
Ergonomic for which knife technique? They look to me like they'd interfere in a pinch grip somewhat. Maybe OK for the hammer grip for powering through a melon or squash, but I don't use that grip much really.    The bread knives with the dropped blade or the raised handle depending on your perspective I guess, I think those are a smart design choice, but I still don't own one. 
Let's still be kind and do our part to help out as we can. 
The oven is not common in traditional Chinese seasoning of woks. I think it's an offshoot of US cast iron tricks. The oven with its even heat seasons all surfaces at once. You set it and forget it which has its appeal. The stove technique works too of course.
Unscrew wood or plastic handles if it has any. Flaxseed oil is ideal, but others will work too.
Probably nonstick. I can't recommend non stick for a wok
A specific recommendation:       Forschner 10" bread knife. This is an inexpensive, ordinary blade steel bread knife. I like it because it is THIN (profile and geometry benefits) compared to other good bread knives. Since the serrations are ground in from one side only, bread knives fall into the chisel grind category. This makes them "steer" in the cut unless you have good technique. The steering makes your cuts uneven. Being thin, the Forschner minimizes the...
The Kitchen Sessions was also very good on video. Worth watching the DVDs if you can find them. You'll see a lot of good technique, plating and more. 
There's an egg liaison variation that really lets you melt in more cheese without breaking the sauce. It's my favorite, but it's more work. I usually just use a mornay approach, but when I really want a great mac and cheese, I break out the eggs.    Alton Brown has a version of this online. Various editions of Joy of Cooking have a very similar recipe as does Cook's Illustrated.    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/stove-top-mac-n-cheese-recipe.html