or Connect

Posts by phatch

You never know what will appeal and what will induce nausea. So very hit and miss and without rhyme or reason. Sometimes they want strong flavors, other times mild mild mild.    My wife became very averse to mushrooms and mustard and jokes about it to this day.    Fruit was usually a winner. Keep it plain and simple.    Try some congee. I'm lazy and make it in my slow cooker.  1 cup rice, 8 cups water is the basic recipe. Let it go over night on low. Incredibly bland...
If you're just cooking for one, skip the wok and special burner for now. A 10" or 12" non-stick pan will do as well at that level. If you get into it more, there are reasons to invest in the specialized equipment. But for starting for just one eater, it's not as important.   Do you have an Asian grocer reasonably close by? You'll have a much broader selection of ingredients and quality and lower prices.    7-8 condiments will cover most of your needs, watch the...
Not all of them. These tend to be for Ramen, or particular tonic soups. They also do western style stock for many things, and a particluar general purpose has a sort of double stock usually translated high stock or master stock (though master stock is also some times used for red cooking broths that have been used heavily). Much of Chinese food theory has to do with keeping you healthy according to a long and intricate folklore and thus the tonic stocks and soups. And it's...
Profits aren't evil. If the grower's not making a profit, he won't be producing it at all for next year. 
People have different tastes. I find these sorts of toppings taste and feel artificial and taste overly sweet.    Consider, whipped cream at home or restauarant would be just heavy cream, sugar, vanilla.   The topping you cite has 8 ingredients.    Cream  I believe labeling rules don't specify differences in cream. However, based on what else they add, I suspect this is a lower fat cream and thus cheaper, And runnier. sugar This can pass without further...
Beef started spiking big when fuel prices spiked. Then feed corn was incentivized for fuel alcohol. Those two combined pushed beef high about 5 years ago. Higher price dropped consumption. Which shifts the demand price curve, affecting production choices. Add in green eating choices, beef needs the most feed and water for yielded pound. So yeah, beef got expensive and has stayed expensive. The current drop in gas prices may cut price, but we won't know until next year...
Being neither Catholic nor Irish, I don't celebrate the holiday per se. I usually prepare a corned beef because the price is good at that time. Pressure cookers simplify cooking a corned beef enormously.    http://missvickie.blogspot.com/2009/03/corned-beef-and-all-fixings.html  is a good baseline. When it comes to cooking the vegetables, you have to know how fast your pressure cooker comes back up to pressure. My Fagor is a little slow so i have to count the cooking...
Labeling is a quagmire. This article didn't warm my heart any. Such as when is it starch and when isn't it.    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/21/a-feast-of-engineering-whats-really-in-your-food
Thanks for the gift.    Phil
Braised eggs release from stainless steel pretty well too. No non stick required. Taht was how I first learned to cook eggs and half the reason was that it released well.