or Connect

Posts by phatch

There's a red flag at the bottom of every post. Moderators can not see every post made in all the threads. If you feel a post or user is problematic, click the red flag. This highlights the message in the system for moderators to look into.  You'll also have a field to explain just what you find wrong with the post. 
dcarch, you made a convincing argument. Well done. 
 I think it looks more beef like. It's too thick for tofu skin, the grain is too regular and the surface is more muscle fibrous than even like dried tofu.  At least the tofu skin I've encountered. The lighting could be playing some tricks on things to. It seem more meat gray than tofu tan. but that's hard to be sure of in such a picture. 
It doesn't look like Pho to me at all.   Beef and rice is not a common combination. Working from generalizations, you see more beef up north which more wheat noodle country, not rice. And you probable see more lamb than beef traditionally. For restaurants here in the US, they often substitute to beef and rice.  On those assumptions, I did some searching.   http://cookingsimplechinesefoodathome.com/2011/06/28-spicy-lamb-pot.html...
It won't be tender like commercial chicken or turkey. Wild pheasant works much harder to survive and exercises its muscles more. This develops flavor, but also more structure. So yes, it will tend to have more chew than our common poultry foods. My niece raised a few turkeys in her backyard one year. These were large, lean and a bit tougher than commercial turkeys. Good flavor though. 
Semolina gnocchi, more like a hard polenta dish.   http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/how-to-make-semolina-roman-gnocchi-alla-romana.html
Potato gnocchi are the most common. I've seen ricotta and flour ones before, pumpkin and I want to say a pure semolina one, but I'm not sure on that one. 
I've had the romaine in Chinese Hot Pots and found it quite good. 
Click the Forums tab at the top of the page. You'll go to a screen that shows how the site is organized. You can then navigate down into those topical subsections. Near the top of each sub forum is a "Start a New Thread" button.     So you should consider if your question is about equipment, general cooking, baking, etc. and start your thread  in the right section. 
Depends what you're trying to do I think. You can achieve bigger sheets by hand which can be effective for some dishes. But it takes more practice and skill.    Watch these two videos:       Also, pasta shapes formed by hand, even if rolled by machine look and have a different texture than their commercial counterparts.    Hand rolled penne (not my photos) This is a square of pasta rolled around the small handle of a cooking spoon or similar.      There...