or Connect

Posts by phatch

If you make annatto oil, it is quite yellow. It's also used to color butter. And cheese which is orange. Or the pibil dishes which tend to go red. It's more versatile than just one color.
liquid smoke has it's uses. I prefer smoke powder. But to replicate barbecue, no, liquid smoke is just a chorus of lament.    The smoking techniques in this thread are about small cuts of meat smoked quickly. If they need longer cooking, it's finished in the oven or such.  This is not to replicate barbecue either. Just to impart some smoke flavor and color. It's an honored technique in Chinese cuisine but they do it more with tea and raw rice which is a different flavor. 
I went out and visited the local Penzey's store. It was fun to browse and they had jars for sniffing from and such. It was a good adventure. Picked up some thyme and some sweet curry powder. The curry is mostly for Vietnamese cooking which doesn't go for heat in the curry so much. Conquering Banh Xeo is still on my list.  
You're not so high that I would think you'd have troubles with normal cooking. Your boiling point is about 201 so maybe just cook longer. Could also be age of the peas. The older dry legumes get the harder they are to cook. But the pressure cooker will save you time as well as guarantee full cooking even with older legumes. 
If you can keep your smoke detector from going off, the Cameroon stovetop smoker is decent. You might also look into wok smoking, sort of similar to what Ordo posted.   http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/07/26/425635093/put-that-wok-to-work-a-trick-for-smoking-fish-indoors https://snapguide.com/guides/smoke-a-chicken-at-home-using-a-wok/   Smoking with tea...
Baking soda is a weakish base. That's why it reacts with acid to form CO2 for leavening. Bases break down organic material. Salt, such as in a brine, draws liquid out of the cells. When you're cooking a bean, all the water enters through that one discontinuity in the waterproof casing where it would sprout. This is slow which is why beans are so slow to cook. Salt hinders this. process.
What's your elevation? You boiling point is probably low enough that dry legumes won't cook. You'll need a pressure cooker to solve this problem at altitude.
Well, the original thread is 8 years old so who knows. Most likely the one on the right is my guess. That's what I usually see in banh mi.
No, they really can't. Air simply can't conduct heat that fast or handle production volumes. Battered items don't work in the air friers. Deep fryers aren't going away at all.
I like whole basil leaves in salads, sandwiches, a few Vietnamese dishes and so on. I haven't found them to be tough