or Connect

Posts by phatch

Thanks for the gift.    Phil
Braised eggs release from stainless steel pretty well too. No non stick required. Taht was how I first learned to cook eggs and half the reason was that it released well. 
There are a  few of us here form SLC. Good to have you aboard.    Phil
if you thought it was greasy with 2 cups of butter it will still be greasy. so if you put the full sour cream and cut the butter down to 3 sticks and two tablespoons. Add the water from there.
It would probably work with a straight substitution as flipflopgirl mentioned.    If you want to get into more rigorous numbers, read on.   Butter is about 20% water in the US, less if you're using a european butter. Margarine can be as high as 50% water, but where you're using a stick margarine probably more like 30-40%. So a tablespoon of butter (14 grams--the standard serving size for butter or margarine) has about 11 grams of fat, and the rest of the weight is...
Those are fun. 
Lots of variables. But as a broad generalization, the meat should be at room temp before cooking.    Those commercials that talk about cooking from frozen are about selling their product and claiming convenience, but the quality is not as good as can be achieved in other methods.   Conversely, Cook's Illustrated recently claimed that cooking a frozen steak from frozen gave them results they liked better compared to a similar steak that had been frozen, thawed, then...
No, not to my knowledge. 
Remember when i talked about the liquid water content in cookies? Using a liquid oil will also cause a lot of spread. The flavor change wouldn't be to my liking. And you can't switch oil for butter in all cakes. Any cake made with the creaming method will not work well with oil because creaming is also a leavening action. You create air holes in the butter by dragging the sugar crystals through the butter.    I do sometimes make an olive oil substitution for butter in...
An article in the Washington posts explains the appeal of Indian food.   http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/03/03/a-scientific-explanation-of-what-makes-indian-food-so-delicious/   Executive summary: Western food tends to layer and blend similar flavors. Many Indian dishes have very little or no flavor overlap. The dishes with greater overlap were the starchier dishes with rice, breads and so on.