or Connect

Posts by phatch

Fats and initial shape are the big impact factors on final shape and texture.    Fats first. Margarine has more water than butter that has more water than shortening. The higher the water content, the more the cookie spreads.    With a ball of dough, you get thicker cookies than if you use a slice from a roll of dough, all other things being equal. usually you use a ball for a dough that spreads a lot and preflatten cookies that spread less in baking.   Sugar choices...
Ikea's knives are not universally good. It's only the Slitbar 8" in VG10 that I recommend. It will have a damascus cladding over the VG10 core and to my knowledge is the only Slitbar to be made that way. It's not a beauty, but it performs well.   
Authentic Mexican and Cheddar Cheese is contradictory as far as naming things imho. (In My Humble Opinion)   I also think the dish suffers from trying to do to many things at once. It's a taco filling, a burrito filling, a dip and so on. I don't think it serves any of those well. I'll critique it more from the point of a taco or burrito filling.    Skip the Accent and the sugar, neither serves much purpose here imho and again go against authenticity. If you're already...
Lean meats don't do so well in the slow cooker as a generalization.  I think batch cooking and freezing will be more to what you want to achieve. with simple evening prep.  Grill/broil/pan sear your lean meats in bigger batches. Let cool, then individually wrap them in plastic wrap in serviing size portions. Freeze them in a zip locking bag.  For the vegies, the same thing applies. Steam, roast, stir fry the vegies and seal, freeze, serve in the portion sizes you use. For...
Cheftalk slows down for the weekend usually as its the busy time for the pros and such. Give it a day or two and things will start flowing in.    In your price range, Victorinox will be the main recommendation I think. And the Ikea Slitbar knife in VG10 is a good value if they offer it in your area. 
This is what I used at home. Very low lip on the pan, would work well for this purpose. Heated it in the oven, light oiling of the pan, added the seasoned potatoes directly to the pan so they'd crust up well. Released with no problem.   Though the amazon price doesn't seem that good.   
I've seen it done with egg and without. There's enough surface starch the potatoes will bind enough.  You might find an egg works better in production though. Or even go for a more latke like crust with egg and a little flour maybe.     As far as my home cook preferences go, I want the potato to be potato and the egg to be egg  in this case. So I've only poured beaten egg in to it cook up as a scramble/fritatta kind of thing or cook them on top like a shirred...
There's a local farmer growing saffron here in Northern Utah.  https://cornabys.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/local-utah-saffron/     A growing guide (from here in SLC as well) http://www.theutahreview.com/whats-growing-saffron-salt-lake-city/   I don't know where you're located, but it might work in your area.
 I wonder about the technique at that copycat site. I'd be tempted to saute/stir fry the onion, reserve. season stir fry some thin sliced roasting beef, not a tender lean cut. Add beef stock, soy, mirin, season as needed. Simmer until tender, probably not too long with the beef that thin, then move on from there, returning the onions and such. Seems getting the collagen from the beef to tenderize and add to the stock would be a good thing. I'm tempted still by my pressure...
Extra virgin has a lower smoke point than the light olive oil. Do you have a source for your numbers because they seem backwards.