or Connect

Posts by phatch

Brisket is on the rise as it's cheaper than chuck now.
Cancel it
There are some other assumptions in this post I'd like to address separately from the Ramen question.  Well, what does one mean by everything? Most contemporary western chicken stock instructions talk about 2 hours or so. Certainly you can find longer times particularly as in MaryB's slow cooker technique. Are we getting everything out of the bones in 2 hours? Of course not, there's still bones left. Everything the average casual cook wants from the bones?  That's probably...
Ramen broth violates all the western premises of proper stock making. Ramen cooks want to emulsify the fat into the liquid. Western cooks want to remove the fat from the broth.  
Color me skeptical.  The 2 T/Gallon of water is probably just enough to neutralize the common alkalinity of US tap water. From the sort of sites that espouse this, I'm not seeing the kind of support I find credible.  The calcium claims for example. There's the well known trick of soaking a wishbone in vinegar. This makes the wishbone pliable so it bends instead of breaking when you wish on it. The common explanation is that the vinegar dissolved the calcium in the bone....
My comments are for the Continental US.   An Axe usually is sharpened by file. A straight razor by strop. There's not a lot of need for sharpening in a modern backpacking scenario. And no place for an axe. Too big, too heavy, too much impact. hatchet is overkill as well. Even the wood and twig stoves can be easily fed without the weight and bulk of an axe with a simple batoning technique on a light fixed blade, 3-4 inches of blade is plenty. Bark River Knife and Tool...
I often do just that. 
Yes, it's tender.
I use it a lot as well. Inexpensive, lean, roasts well to about 140, or as chops. Also my favorite cut for Chinese dishes.
Alfredo is good, an aiolli pesto blend isn't bad either. For a total shift, go Chinese. At about the half way point, Yan starts on the pizza.      He sauces with a hoisin base. In this episode he blends in some tomato sauce but you can skip that and he has in other variations I've seen him do. I usually do this with some commercially prepared Char Sui pork, mushrooms, green onion and a very thin layer of plain hoisin sauce. Some garlic chili sauce or sambal oelek...