or Connect

Posts by phatch

Yes, carbon steel is perhaps a more common name than blue steel. 
Salt is added to make it unpleasant to drink and so that it is not handled under the alcohol laws of the region selling it. It's low grade and not worth it.
What about some crumbled nori or some furikake?  Oops, I see Cheflayne already said this. 
The forces that would have played in the evolution of taste/cooking happened long after our divergence from the common ancestor. That's why it tastes good to us, but is curious in apes that didn't have that evolutionary path. That we like it, we know. But why would our tastes evolve to like it if the dangers are greater than the satisfaction. When a rat chooses electric pleasure simulation over food, that's a dead end path.
I agree it's good in many savory applications. Can also help out clam chowder for example.
New Scientist has an interesting article on the possible evolution of cooking.https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23230980-600-what-was-the-first-cookedThey mention some of the archaelogocial evdence for cooking, some of which predates Homo sapiens.Cooking can destroy some nutrition, but also makes other nutrients more readily available. Humans have a "short" digestive ract so cooking is essential to get enough out of the food in the time we do digest. There are...
Red Boat
There's a school of thought that it loses/shifts flavor over about 6 months. French Fries has detected the shift himself and asked about it and I pointed him to vietworldkitchen.com where that blogger talked about it as well. I can see a color change around that point, but I'm harder pressed to say it tastes off.
They're engineered rather differently than just rehashing of crumbs. It's more about achieving a taste that still looks and works for the industrial fabrication process and brand image. Imho, most of these products will not stand up well to deep frying. Maybe as a baked coating. Grated parm or similar cheese is probably my favorite crust flavor booster.
Kg was a clue, he's talking centigrade.