or Connect

Posts by ChefRobin

No one has any ideas? Suggestions?
I have been working for a short amount of time as the Executive Pastry Chef for an upscale fine dining restaurant. I am having an issue with my Executive Chef and am wondering if it is something commonplace or not. This is not something that I have ever had happen before. that being said here goes.... I was hired as the Pastry Chef, but the Executive Chef won't allow me to add to or change anything on the menu. If it does get changed it is because he saw something on the...
Its sad to think that places are buying pre-made from sysco when with the right chef these items can be made better nutritionally and more economically than their purchasing them pre-done. And the taste! okay whats better?...... sausage gravy with reconstituted sausage and dried milk or whole milk gravy with bits of the fond from the bottom of the skillet flavoring the gravy with tasty pork fat used to make a lovely roux?    Why do restaurant Owners (who aren't...
I use a pasta rolling machine to roll out my fondant ribbons for cake decoration. I wind them around a dowel rod and then unroll them around the cake to prevent streching. That way I only have one or two seams to smooth together. An easier way to smooth them together is to leave a little extra at the beginning and the end. Match them up to their edges and the corner of the cake. Cut them with scissors flush to the corner, then smooth with a little water on your fingertip...
I have never seen Oil in a chocolate chip cookie recipe. Shortening to give stability and butter for flavor but never oil. The liquid to flour ratio is all off in this recipe.  I use cold butter and cream the sugars with it, otherwise the heat from the friction of the machine will turn the butter to an almost liquid state. The cookies would spread due to the high amount of liquid and the warmth of the dough.  Have you chilled the dough before scooping and baking? Check...
SOURS   Seize Opportunity Utilizing Remarkable Service.       Next Word:   DUCAT (small austrian yeast cake)
Well, not to burst your bubble, but........pastrychefs are not known to be the best paid in the business. Even less if you are a woman. It is also not the position that there are alot of openings in, just because when someone gets one, they usually don't let it go, cause they are so hard to find. Count yourself lucky if you can negotiate a salary/income in the high twenties.On the other hand, it can be rewarding and very creative if you are allowed to do so. Many times...
Rat I am sooooo jealous! What a sweet ride! My fav was a 70 something cogsworth VEGA, oh could she fly! In the divorce, the  ex got the car, I got the three boys. I got the better part, but mmmmm I miss that car sometimes. 
That happened to me last May, after having a "cold" for two weeks. As a pastrychef smelling fruit and milk and cream to test for quality was soooo frutstrating. But with my Executive Chef's help I got thru it. My sense of smell is just now coming back, and I went to the Ear, Nose and Throat doc. he couldn't find anything wrong and said just wait. Some smells are confusing, but mostly everything is almost back to normal. My bigeest fear was gas on in the kitchen or not...
Hot toddy works! Listen to your instincts, follow your heart, there's a job out there with your name on it waiting for you to find it. Good Luck