or Connect

Posts by James Peterson

I'm not teaching anything now but may in the future. If someone were able to gather enough people together, I could teach sauce making in my home, but it's not something I've done as yet.
No, it is I who comes up with the book ideas. I did hear an editor once say there was a need for a good fish book and that sort of inspired me. Usually the publisher and I are on the same page in that we both want books that will sell.
I suppose it takes some imagination and an ability to see what's missing. I've tried to circumvent the problem somewhat by making my books definitive but as you say, in an area such as bread baking, there are already definitive books out there. My advice would be to go a bookstore and see which subject areas are weak and in which you could do a better book. You could also base it on what you do and know best and what your passion is.
It seems that more and more chefs are applying classic sauce making techniques to "ethnic" cuisines such as Moroccan, Indian, Japanese etc. As concerns regional sauces, there are certainly plenty of them in Europe but here, we don't have long traditions of cooking in certain regions and our regional foods (and especially sauces) are limited.
Thank you for your acknowledgment of my work. I hope you'll get a chance to look at "Cooking" although it sounds like you might be beyond it. I have a baking book coming out this fall and a meat book next year. I wish you the best.
There is definitely an argument to be made that vinaigrette should be included in the mother sauces. In fact, vinaigrette-like sauces were common in the Middle Ages for every manner of fish, fowl or flour-footed animal. That being said, I think the hesitation to include them comes from the fact that they are very tenuous emulsions, ready to separate into their components in a heart beat (and, remember, once you add an egg yolk your sauce is no longer a vinaigrette but...
Hi, Most sauces can be made safely ahead as long as they're kept at the right temperature. (I have friends who swear by a thermos for hollandaise and beurre blanc.) The only tricky ones are the brown sauces when they've been mounted with a lot of butter. My only solution is to prepare the sauce base with all the ingredients except the butter and then whisk the butter into some of the base every half hour or so if that's practical. It's also possible to replace butter in...
Hi Christina, Think long and hard before making a career change into food. There are many people out there in all domains and competition is stiff. I don't mean to discourage you, but if you start out trying to get restaurant experience, you'll end up as an assistant prep cook making 9 dollars an hour. I don't know what your goals are, but working in fine restaurants in France transformed my cooking and hence my career. At least while I was doing prep, I was allowed to spy.
In a French kitchen, everyone does what's expected of them without complaining. In a 3-star kind of kitchen, the kitchen runs in a state of complete calm even during the "rush". This style of running a kitchen is finally catching on in the U.S. with people such as Thomas Keller of The French Laundry.
Hi Jeremy, Yes, I have help testing recipes. I develop them myself. A book (at least one of the big ones) takes about 2 years. The little books I did in as little as 3 months. jim