or Connect

Posts by MegamiAG

I'm a professional pastry chef and I've been contacted by someone to make a wedding cake for them on the side. I know Washington state (and other places as well, I'm sure) has laws about any food being sold having to come from licensed and insured kitchens.   The place I'll be making the cake is an official place of business so that's no problem. My question is, do I need to have a business license as a sole proprietor as well? Do hotels/wedding venues normally ask...
Thanks for the responses! Maybe my trail night wasn't really traditional, but they put me to work as soon as I came in. No sit down to talk session. How should I bring up the portfolio in that situation? As a designer, when I was looking for jobs, I'd include a link to my online portfolio in every cover letter I sent. If I set one up for my culinary career, would it be okay if I did the same? The reason why I thought to put it into my resume is that without being...
Though I'm currently still in pastry school (almost done!), I have been one of the lucky ones who has an industry-related part-time job and every now and again get a "freelance" job of making a cake or something similar for individuals. With graduation on the horizon, I've been applying to full-time jobs, mostly at fancy restaurants. I had the opportunity to come in as a trail for a night and had a great experience. I didn't get the job though. But given that I was told...
Thank you everyone for your input! I left it at "Pastry Chef". I know it won't please everyone, but I feel that it's the title that'll get me the farthest and is technically true.
Business hasn't come through regularly quite yet for me to officially be a business (though I have had my own freelance business before so getting all of the paperwork taken care of is something I [thankfully] know how to do). That's what I hope will happen with being able to network more with the aid of the business cards I want! :) I operate out of my home or utilize the labs (commercial kitchens) at school after hours. I've passed (with an excellent score, whoo!) the...
I'm currently a pastry and baking student. Even as I'm still in school, I keep getting little "freelance" jobs of making cakes and pastries for people coming my way. Since I want to have my name out there as much as I can to give myself a head start (and to generate business and experience), I wanted to make myself some business cards. I know that "chef" is a title that is to be earned and though I've made a profit on the freelance jobs I've done so far, I don't know...