or Connect

Posts by redvan

Managed to make a descent stew the other night with very tender meat (chuck) but an issue arose; when browning meat dredged in flour, by the time I'm done browning batches of meat, the excess flour from the first batch has now burned ruining any attempt at producing a good sauce. How do I get around this? I tried to shake off excess flour before going into the pot but there still was some.
FF, Sometimes I get lucky and the meat comes out tender but it never, ever has that reddish pink hue. That's what I'm thinking about. How do I get the inside of the meat to that color. Does it depend on the cut of meat or cooking method? Red.
Several times in my life I have encountered various dishes involving stewed meat of some type and each time, the meat was fork tender, thoroughly cooked and yet a redish-pink hue through out. I have tried using chuck, round (both top and bottom) and cannot obtain this level of satisfaction. How is this accomplished, the redish-pink hue of thoroughly cooked stewed meat? Red.
I love one pot meals, especially meat and potato types. I was watching Gordon Ramsey's kitchen nightmares and he mentioned a dish called a Lancaster hot pot. It looked delicious with browned meat, potato's and onions all in one pot. Does anyone know of a recipe for this dish as well as other dishes that are similar in composition? Red.
Awesome phatch, that's the answer I was looking for.   Red.
eastshores, That's an interesting factoid I'll be sure to remember.   Thanks, Red.
I have an egg cooker that was given to me as a gift.   It's a neat little egg shaped cooker made by Cuisinart. For those not familiar with it; it cooks eggs to a specific doneness by steaming them, based on the amount of water you add to the cooker. They supply a cup with markings for 1-7 soft, 1-7 hard, etc.   My question is this; does the freshness of an egg determine where the yolk solidifies in the egg when stood on end and syeamed to hard cooked.   Since I only...
Hi, A friend told me that he had the opportunity to revitalize a old kitchen this past weekend. Among the stuff found in the kitchen were old butcherblock style cutting boards. Some of which were so big, they had handles on the sides and were found on edge behind some cabinets.   Being a carpenter, he asked me how to rejuvenate them. I said scrape them then sand then oil.   After saying this, I wondered if this was good advice, since they would be used again in...
Chefross, The "off" aroma reminded me of ammonia.   I purchase most of my larger tails from a wholesaler and have never had issues before.
I made a large lobster tail this evening and although I may have overcooked it a tiny bit (it was still slightly frozen so I gave it a few minutes more). When I got down to enjoying it, I noticed there was a faint hint of an "off" aroma and i was wondering what this could be. It wasn't mushy or discolored but wasn't as buttery smooth in texture as I was expecting, and this "off" aroma bothered me.   Any ideas...?   Red.