or Connect

Posts by redvan

Well MJB, As I said, it was a steak not a 10 lb brisket or pork shoulder which, simply due to it's size would require more time.
Hello foodies, I recently was at a bbq where the wife of the gentleman who stood up to cook at the hosts grill argued with me very matter-of-factly that it's necessary to rest a chunk of meat for 20+ minutes before slicing and serving. I said 5 minutes is sufficient and 20 minutes would result in a cold, greasy piece of meat but she argued on. I didn't even get to talk about the carry-over factor, juice redistribution or anything else. As soon as I reminded her that my...
A friend of mine insists that laying out sheets of aluminum foil across the grilling racks of his propane grill in between cooking batches of food and then tuning the heat way up keeps his grilling racks clean!   When I first fire up my propane grill (or charcoal grill for that matter) I always use high heat and the top down to singe any previous leftover debris so I can clean the grill easier with a wire brush. Sort of like a cleaning cycle. Then in between batches of...
Managed to make a descent stew the other night with very tender meat (chuck) but an issue arose; when browning meat dredged in flour, by the time I'm done browning batches of meat, the excess flour from the first batch has now burned ruining any attempt at producing a good sauce. How do I get around this? I tried to shake off excess flour before going into the pot but there still was some.
FF, Sometimes I get lucky and the meat comes out tender but it never, ever has that reddish pink hue. That's what I'm thinking about. How do I get the inside of the meat to that color. Does it depend on the cut of meat or cooking method? Red.
Several times in my life I have encountered various dishes involving stewed meat of some type and each time, the meat was fork tender, thoroughly cooked and yet a redish-pink hue through out. I have tried using chuck, round (both top and bottom) and cannot obtain this level of satisfaction. How is this accomplished, the redish-pink hue of thoroughly cooked stewed meat? Red.
I love one pot meals, especially meat and potato types. I was watching Gordon Ramsey's kitchen nightmares and he mentioned a dish called a Lancaster hot pot. It looked delicious with browned meat, potato's and onions all in one pot. Does anyone know of a recipe for this dish as well as other dishes that are similar in composition? Red.
Awesome phatch, that's the answer I was looking for.   Red.
eastshores, That's an interesting factoid I'll be sure to remember.   Thanks, Red.
I have an egg cooker that was given to me as a gift.   It's a neat little egg shaped cooker made by Cuisinart. For those not familiar with it; it cooks eggs to a specific doneness by steaming them, based on the amount of water you add to the cooker. They supply a cup with markings for 1-7 soft, 1-7 hard, etc.   My question is this; does the freshness of an egg determine where the yolk solidifies in the egg when stood on end and syeamed to hard cooked.   Since I only...