or Connect

Posts by Gale Gand

I am seeing less pastry chef positions in restaurant kitchen now and smaller pastry staffs. Buying premade or frozen desserts is currently more common, or line cooks rather than trained pastry people are making the desserts. Having said that, the desserts available commercially are actually better than a decade ago so the stuff they are replacing pastry chefs with are better items than previously available. Maybe the way to go is to make sure you have some large scale...
Hmmmmm, that doesn't make sense. You obviously are a decent baker...but it makes me think of one time when I was judging the Whirlpool Unique Cake Contest (I think the show of it still airs on Food Network occasionally) and a contestant's yeast just wasn't waking up. At home it did no problem but when it had cameras on it, it got shy. So I just jolted it's reproduction by cheating in a little sugar to get things going. It worked fine. Maybe try over feeding it a little bit...
I think they already have. A lot of innovative ideas born in restaurant kitchens make their way eventually to the home kitchen and grocery store shelf. Look what happened to the liquid center cake, first created by Joel Robuchon. Now it shows up in school bake sales and you can buy a microwavable version that's shelf stable in the grocery store! Maybe my Pavlova is the next thing to hit the freezer case?!
I get staff from myriad places...some are culinary school graduates, mostly from Kendal College, CIA, Johnson and Wales, etc. or The French Pastry School located in Chicago. But we also have people in our kitchen who are coming to culinary from another field like photography, bio chemistry...we're about to have lawyer in our kitchen for the rest of this year. So it really varries. I was a silver and goldsmith before getting into the kitchen so I try to stay open minded to...
We do get some requests for gluten free meals, which includes no glucose in any of the desserts or petit fours, and have gotten those requests for the last 10 years. I know bakeries are offering a few items and people are really thankful, but I don't think the demand is enough to warrant a whole bakery or a cookbook based on the restriction. I'll probably make some people mad by saying this but...
That's a good question. I looked over lots of recipes that I found on the internet and none of them have the step I learned in pastry school which is to dust them heavily with powdered sugar right after you pipe them, but before you bake them. That makes a white sugar-ie coating on the top surface of the lady fingers. There is another biscuit I do with a sheet of puff pastry that you spread royal icing over the surface and then cut the dough into matchsticks and bake, and...
I use whatever is on sale. In the restaurants we use Plugra and Grasslands. In my cookbooks I don't use either of those since I like to use what's in the grocery store to mirror what home cooks use. I am mostly Land O'Lakes gal.
My mom and grandma Elsie. I am mostly self taught or as Julia Child told me to say "I learned in the field". I didn't know I wanted to do pastry until a chef I was working for (Gereg Broman in Rochester New York) forced me into the pastry department years ago (well if you call just me doing pastry a "department".). Originally I didn't want work in the pastry area because I felt that often women get type cast as either Pastry chefs or Garde Mange. At the time the chef...
Laughs... We don't have the complete list yet but certainly Italy will get one show. There will also be shows that focus on Hungary, Russia, and Japan to name a few. Two of the shows will be unique in that one will focus on an African American family from New Orleans and the other on a Spanish Family. I think we are also doing one on Persian cooking. There will be 13 shows for the first season so 13 different countries.
Make sure you get some really comfortable shoes. If your feet hurt you wont be successful. Taste what you make as much as possible. If you have the opportunity, go live in Paris for 6 months or a year. Just walk up to a pastry shop and ask them if you can work for free. You will learn so much just by doing that and getting that kind of experience.