or Connect

Posts by benway

Sous vide of corned beef?  Sounds like that would take a week.   Anyways, the ultimate example of what this thread is about is meat cooked in a pressure cooker.  In any other situation, the water inside the meat can only get to 212--in a pressure cooker it can get much higher on the inside.  This changes the texture dramatically, breaks down connective tissue ~3x faster due to higher heat, but actually causes less drying out as the boiling point of whatever liquid...
Sorry guys, WI was a tropical paradise last week and I just couldn't bring myself to sit inside and type until now!  Anyways here's a rundown of the rest of the week's menus:   Wednesday: Vegetarian Sushi (as suggested by Petals) One of the things I really wanted to make last week was a vegetarian Paella into which I would involve seaweed to give some seafood flavor.  I liked Petals idea better as it already contained seaweed and rice so I made a paella flavored...
Well lunch one just wrapped up.  I had an unexpected interview this morning that ate up most of my prep and shopping time so I had to improvise a little.   The menu consisted of: la mian chinese hand-pulled noodles, truffled vegetable consomme, and smores.   I make la mian every week so it just so happened I had dough that was ready to pull left over from last night.  Noodles made this way are extremely chewy almost like spaetzle yet very light as they only...
Less rustic.  I enjoy cooking classics on my days off and hence why I like this board but in general my food is very contemporary.  That said whatever I serve is going to look like food, not trying to freak her out right away.   cheflayne, thanks for the input.  Sounds like the vegetarians don't go hungry in your kitchen!
Now we're talking.  I've got to admit though I've never considered vegetarian sushi before.  Rolls are easy enough.  Any suggestions for nigiri type sushi toppings?  My first reaction would be to get out the mandoline and top with some vegetable carpaccio.   Keep the suggestions rolling in!
Good food no doubt team although I'm thinking a lot less... rustic.   Also, lets steer clear of things like bean burgers.  I'm a firm believer against vegetarian food that is just a worse version of a meat dish.
I got into cooking for the same reason anyone my age did: to impress girls.  I accidently loved it and got carried away with a career in haute cuisine but on occasion I still get the opportunity to impress a lady and such an opportunity has presented itself next week.   I have next week off, and have been invited to bring the subject of my affections lunch in her office Tuesday through Friday.  This means my preparations must be tupperware friendly and any reheating...
Electric deep fryers are very cheap get good results.  If you don't fry often though or frequently have to change oil (after seafood, etc) then I like to use a wok.  The round bottom of a wok allows you to use a lot less oil.
I did salmon seining in Alaska the past few summers.  Parasites are a certain danger in wild salmon and I personally know people that have tried making sushi without freezing the salmon first and gotten their crew sick.  That said, I routinely froze our fish and prepared it raw with no trouble at all.
The wine cork thing is a funny old story, but I really don't think there is any truth to it.  Your cooking time needs to be much much longer.  The best thing you can do for your octopus is to get yourself a pressure cooker.  It speeds up those long cooking times and drastically works on that rubbery texture by allowing you to get the inside temperature higher than the boiling point.  A couple of hours in a pressure cooker for octopus is equivalent to about 8 hours of...