or Connect

Posts by toronado455

Since the thread got bumped, I'll just mention that I've been leaving my tortillas out of the fridge for the past 2 years and very happy with the results! I manage to finsh a bag of 8-11 in about a week with no noticable spoilage at all. They stay nice and soft in the bag. (so long as I remember to reclose the zip seal on the bag!)
So only 48 hours? You'd toss it after that? Pete says 96 hours is OK assuming no cross contamination and fridge stays below 40 (mine is usually between 37 and 42).
  Why store food in the garage then? Do you have a basement, or are you on a slab?
Arizona is HOT! A former boss moved there a couple years ago and I heard about it from him.   Is your garage attached to the home and air conditioned? I read somewhere that finished basements are cooler, but maybe your garage is cooler than your house.
  Thanks, that's kind of what I figured.
Been having a heat wave here. I'm near the coast so not too bad. Warmest it got in my food storage pantry area was 83 on one day. I'm assuming that isn't enough to ruin my canned goods or an unopened jar of peanut butter?
Thanks IceMan, those are both interesting.  
I've tried rice vinegar before and liked the sweet flavor. But I'm not sure what I should get now.   Is the cheap generic stuff good? I use stuff like that to clean my floors!   I'm finding some cheap brand name stuff for around $2-$3 a bottle, but then it jumps up to around $10 a bottle and there doesn't seem to be much in between.       Why is white bad? I was at the market looking at the vinegars and they had signs on the shelves that said the red and balsamic vinegars...
That's just it. I think it has something to with the fact that the compact fridge doesn't have a separate freezer. It just has a little non-frost-free "freezer" compartment (along with all its regular frost build-up) inside the same space as the fridge. So my theory is that all that frost in the "freezer" compartment creates a higher humidity level inside the fridge in general. That's why I think one could say the condensation does have something to do with the type of...
Agreed.   Then how does one explain condensation occurring in fridge "B", and not in fridge "A"? Could it be due to a change in location rather than a change in fridge style? In that fridge "A" was located inland, and fridge "B" is near the coast?