or Connect

Posts by ljokjel

Hi and welcome. I guess you didnt see what was written on top of this segment of the forum.   "This forum is reserved for current and past professional chefs only. Only professionals in the food industry may post here though all are free to read.   Please try to make your threads relevant to professional cooking.  For example, "holding oysters for dinner service" belongs in the pro forum whereas "serving oysters for eight" belongs...
How long have you been working there, and what professional background do you have from before?
My guess is not maltodextrin. Malto is primarily used to make powder out of fat like chocolate, oil etc. The easiest way might be to just cut thinly, dry it over night (always over 60°c!), blender until powder, then pass through a sieve/chinoise or whatever the correct name would be in English. Or buy freeze-dried and blend.
I might have brought oranges into this discussion about apples. Im used to apprentices, and they come in not knowing much. I still love them. 
You might be right. My way is to treat them like incompetent until they have proven worthy of anything else. With this comes the lesson and the walkthrough. And if one is not able to carry out a task, you just don't get the task. The shame of not being given the certain task is often enough drive to make it happen the next time. They need to have the inner drive. How I get that out is individual. Sometimes it is enough to be said unworthy of something, to give them the...
Out of curiosity, why use agar to thicken the sauce?
If you don't use a bain Marie you might experience to get bubbles along the outside of your flan. The water gives you a more gentle heating, but it also depends on the temperature of your oven. At work with the convection oven I just wrapped the molds in plastic film and cooked it at 90-something Celsius with the steamfunction. Many years ago, though.
Cabbage has been one of our things the last month. We have already been as blue as -30C (-22F), so winter has been here for some time. Meat like reindeer, moose etc. Duck breast with warm spices going on the menu for December. Chestnuts, conserved berries from this autumn with foie gras. Smoked grouse. Cofits, braising etc. Fattier cuts of meat.  Smoking, salting etc. Desserts have been focusing on apples earlier this autumn, but now shifting towards sea buckthorn,...
Im used to apprentices, but I find it to be a good thing.  Yes, they cause a lot of extra work, but also a lot of joy. Being able to shape these people into professionals is a good thing. It might be the beginning of a long friendship. Of course separating private and professional life at work, but treat the with the respect they make themselves worthy of, and verbally cut their head off when they deserve it. During the last 7 years after finishing my own apprenticeship...
Mistook your intention, and perceived you as coming down on him for using "fancy" words. My bad, but I hope you can see why.