or Connect

Posts by ljokjel

As a rule if thumb, find inspiration within the same cuisine as the original dish. Thats the easiest way. If you serve mexican, would you go for tortillas, or for some odd scandinavian similar thing?   The cuisines has developed dishes and pairings wich combine well together. Its centuries, if not more, of experience.   Bubas examples are all made up of ingredients you would find in the jamaican kitchen. If you serve Italian, think Italian.    The same goes as well...
This was in Barcelona, Spain in a ** Michelin restaurant.I had free accommodation prepared trough network, but the other stagiers were staying for free in the stagiers flat wich was located close to the restaurant.We did the same amount of hours as everybody else. 10/11-16/17 and 19-24. The hours were different depending on the amount of work, open tuesday - saturday. Serving lunch and dinner with a siesta in between the services.At the minimum we were 4 stagiers, and at...
My last was six months, wich was the minimum requirement.
In general, english works great in most kitchens in scandinavia (norway, sweden, denmark, finland) because people often speak english as well as their native languages, and at a level way above what you can expect to find further south in Europe.   In Spain it was Spanish only, and the same went for my friends working in France. It was French, or nothing.    San Sebastian and Barcelona are great destinations in Spain. Copenhagen has got a great foodscene, and the...
We serve a meal 30min before service. Mandatory with exceptions to sit down, all together. Before service the smokers get to go out for a smoke, and then we start service.   Always good food, some times cleaning the fridge, sometimes getting a chance to try out a new dish on the entire staff to get feedback. Other times cheap produce cooked well. Always variation. Sometime classic scandinavian cooking, sometimes a burger, and sometimes a thai curry fish soup. There are...
If you want a stage in a Michelin restaurant, expect them demand that you stay 3-6 months. At lest here in Barcelona.
Always when prepping, never during service, with exeptions of abnormally quiet services. Abnormally important football (soccer) matches is an exeptions, and during incredibly important matches for this city´s team there was even a computer streaming the match in a remote part of the kitchen. Could have been in the middle of the kitchen since there were no guest neither during the match.   The crew prepare a playlist together, or its radio. Worst thing is having people...
More restaurants need: To let the vegetables shine. Not speaking on behaf of the vegetarians now. The plate doesnt have to be vegetarian, but the vegetables need to be thought of something more than just something that have to be put on the plate. 
@kuan I agree. But it´s just one of many examples. Some people ask legitimate questions when it comes to culinary phrases and words, and I have no problem with someone not being used to our "language". Others are just plain good old fashioned stupid, and its our job to make them happy. That doesnt change the fact that I would wish they were more educated. Luckily Im used to work with skilled waiters who are able to maintain good communication with our guests, so Im not...
 The typical guest who orders ribeye and then complain, because he wanted something like a tenderloin.Educated in the way of knowing what they want, order and expect. Still elitist and unfair?