or Connect

Posts by thetincook

Did anyone post this yet? Sad Dog Diary
My personal pet peeves about Chefdom:   Not being able to delegate because it's easier and faster to do it yourself then it is to teach someone how to do it. It's a really bad habit of mine.   Cooking and tasting things you don't like because it's your job.   The endless battle of trying to keep proper systems in place, and not falling back into the way things used to be done. Me too! I get fixated on something and eat it for a while. I like playing with the different...
I bought a pair of these http://www.spenco.com/products/footcare/SpencoRX/arch-supports last month off amazon last month and have been using them with my beat up Brooks walking shoes for work. They are really nice. Almost all the benefits of a custom orthotic but for $30 us.
Just get a copy of quickbooks.  
We needed new side towels today. Non-cooking employee got sent out to get some. Came back with nylon wash clothes. We figured it out a few hot pans later. It was not fun being a chef or a dishwasher today.
I don't like doing fussy plating, and really don't go beyond the 'three plops' school of plating. I generally don't like towers of stuff for asthetic reasons, if the diner wants to muddle his filet with his mashed potatoes, that's his call. I don't like fussy garnishes, perfering to get things out as hot and fresh as possible. I trust that if I cooked things correctly a point, they will need a minimum of artifice to look good.
Proffessional Cooking and Baking both by Wayne Gisslen, Food for Fifty by Mary Molt, and the Book of Yields by Schimdt I think.
I make espangole (last Tuesday it was sauce robert to go with roasted pork), but it fits into my situation. Brown roux is a neat thing and I keep oven browned flour on my prep list.   I also make made a tomato sauce with roux (half way between a blonde and full brown) last week to go with a meat loaf. It was very popular.   My problem is that I don't really have the space, budget, or man hours, to do stocks properly. What I can't get from poached poultry or...
I don't really like cooking the cabbage in with the corned beef. I usually braise it seperately, maybe with some of the corn beef broth.
For all the cornstarch guys out there, try swapping their cornstarch with powdered sugar. Good times to be had.   The funniest thing I've seen was probably one of my own brain farts, sadly. I sent out a bunch of chocolate sundaes once, but I'd grabbed the balsamic redux bottle instead of the chocolate syrup bottle by mistake.