or Connect

Posts by ToKEN

well my friend, you can start as a line cook but I would aspire to be something more, a chef, chef de cuisine like yours truely :chef:, sous chef, or something along those lines, schooling is good but not needed. expect long hours, pain, and pressure.. but feeling very rewarded at the end of the night. the food service family and I know I, have a passion for it all...the feeling of doing awesome in the middle of a saturday night rush, full rail and tickets still flowing...
the last 3 kitchens I've worked in we've had serious satellite radio. the first place I was a line cook we actually had speakers hooked up above the line which was really cool. but the last two we've just had sirius boom boxes. The great part of being a Chef De Cuisine is I get to listen to whatever I want and my cooks cant say anything about it or if they change the station without asking me I just turn it off, or if they turn it up etc... But basically I dont mind...
I am a hotsauce junkie and you should be too. the best hotsauce is a mix of habanero, curry, and mango. and the trix rabbit will have his day soon enough...
I dont know if this counts but I like smoking with birch out in the woods. I dont eat random plants only because I don't really know which ones are edible, but I'm sure you could make a great salad if you knew!
I dont know if this has ever happened to anyone but it happens to me quite a lot when I get lucky enough to go out on a busy night if I'm not in my kitchen... but have you ever been somewhere where they're a bit busy and have the server or food runner ask you how everything was when you didnt even get your food yet? I swear it has happened to me over half a dozen times and my answer is the same every time... "I'm sure it will be great" You have eyes, cant you see...
the only sushi I've ever made is a philadelphia roll...got the ingredients from a local asian market... nori medium grain rice salmon cream cheese its mmm mmm delicious, and that medium grain rice is the stickiest rice I've ever messed with. we layed the nori out on a bamboo mat used for rolling the sushi, covered the square with the rice and layed slivers of cream cheese and salmon towards the bottom then rolled. sliced it into little rolls then covered it...
I was a line cook in the same restaurant for 5 years, then with the help of my other friend who is the head chef in a restaurant got me a job as his sous chef...I worked there for 2 years and a line cook at another place for the same amount of time (talk about no time to yourself) then recently moved to be the chef de cuisine at a restaurant out in pittsburgh, only been there 2 months though. So 5 years in the same place as a line cook, 2 years at the same place as a...
diced tomatoes, red onion, garlic, salt and pepper, and oregano in a mixing bowl and toss in some balsamic vinegar. Best ever. when my girlfriend and I make it at home we do that but also put a little crab meat on it, just because she's a crab junkie. happy cooking. and definately try that recipe, you'll fall in love...hard.
yeah I'd probably get off your laptop and start preppin there bud.
oh man, there are so many... back in the day when I was a line cook, we would get the food runner to run to the walk in/freezer/dry storage for all kinds of stuff...saute sticks which were hanging right next to the red handled grill press, cans of steam, burger glue, fish glue and they would all fall for it.. and we'd be busy too so they would be freaking out.. the worst though was to this kid no one liked. it was getting close to closing time and it was him, I, and...