Posts by leeniek

I have worked in places that have no restrictions on hair and let the staff go hairnet free an places who insist on a hairnet and beard net if applicable.   I think it is up to the operator of the establishment to set the standard regarding hair and then follow it and provide their staff with nets if needed.  I work in a production facility and we wear balaclava hoods that include a beard net if needed.  No one can tell you not to have a beard but they can tell to wear a...
Happy day after St Paddys Foodpump..    Its been ages since I have been on this site...   I am still at the food factory and loving it...    I work 9-5 Mon-Fri and my weekends are mine to sew like a madwoman
In the past when I had long hair I had it in a bun and stuck the bun through the back hole in my kitchen cap.  Where I work now we must wear hairnets so when it was longer I just had it in a bun an then the net.   Now I keep it chin length in a diagonal bob and it fits nicely into the hairnets we wear without tying it back.
Funny as I read my reply from four years ago on this post I am still in the same job but things have drastically changed.  I've been there longer than all of the other employees (excluding the chef and sous who were hired six months before I was) and I have to laugh at some of them when it comes to the jobs we have to do.     I am in charge of my own department which most of the time is a department of one (me) but when things get busy I do need help and they get it for...
I am a skinny cook and I don't think it has ever been an issue for me with it came to finding and keeping jobs.  Sometimes being skinny can be a blessing in disguise... like when you need to get to the breadcrumbs that are sandwiched between two skids of flour...     It's been my experience that my work, references and experience speak for themselves so size should not matter   Good luck to you in your search!
Foodpump, this is a topic that needs to be addressed in the workplace by employers because what we have is a huge case of culture clash.   We have the people of our generation who have really only gained the whole idea of cellphones  and the internet etc  and being so connected all the time in the last maybe 20 or so  years and then we have those who have grown up with that culture and can't begin to imagine not being connected to facebook or twitter or whatever all the...
It's amazing how attached people have become to their cellphones, especially it seems the younger generation and by that I mean people in their 20s and younger.   Maybe it's the "old fart" in me but I wonder why they need to be so connected all the time?
Before I worked in a food plant and was forced to wear steel toed shoes I swore by my Dansko Pro clogs.. they came in open back or closed back and were the most comfortable kitchen footwear I had.  Not cheap thoug... $160 per pair but they lasted forever...
Lots of those kind of places are opening up in my neighbourhood right now and yeah it's also becoming hipster hell....   I have eaten in a couple of them.. food was ok... doubt I'd return though...
I would love to be able to wear a skirt at work but I doubt it would conform to SQF standards...     So for falling down pants the best thing I have found is to get one size smaller than what you need to get.  In the beginning your waistband will be a little snug but with time the elastic will wear and you will have comfy pants.