or Connect

Posts by leeniek

I looked it up and foodborne illness can take anywhere from 10 hours to 28 days after ingesting to show itself, depending on the type of illness.   I found this info here   http://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm103263.htm
No everyone is cut out for kitchen work for sure...
Interesting thoughts, everyone.     I think food safety in general needs to be taken more seriously by some people.  As professionals we have to be very aware of it, but home cooks should be too.  I've seen my mother in law do some things that just make me cringe, and the worst is how she thaws meat.  She will leave it on her dishrack to thaw, move it when she does dishes and then put it back afterward.  Yes it's wrapped but still, the wrap leaks so the meat juices get...
The chef jacket post got me thinking about food safety and well how different it is from the manufacturing side of things to the restaurant side of it...     I have worked on both sides of the industry and have a wonderful (really no sarcasm at all) job in a food plant and it is a far cry from the restaurant world...       This is food plant life....       First of all it is paperwork hell and that is all for traceability in the event of a recall...  I have to...
OMG sorry Kuan!!!   I didn't see your post until I sent mine in...guess I need to learn to read the whole thread before replying.... so very sorry!!!!!!!!
I work in a food production plant so our uniforms are brought in and we are not allowed to wear them outside at all....
From a co worker when I was pulled from my dept to help the shipper catch up....this is BS did you tell boss how much work we have to do? .... (At the time we had to slice two cases of peppers....maybe an hour of work tops... Open three cases of mozzarella... Five minutes of work.. And one case of mozzarella.... Again maybe six minutes of work with that.) I said yes I did and there were three of us so we could easily spare one for such little work to do. Her words... ...
I work in a food production facility and we are required to take our breaks. HR pretty much insists on it. It took a long time for me to get used to, actually having more than a run to the washroom or a few minutes while I scarfed back a sandwich.
I think I read somewhere that the husband was going to be deported?
Well put foodpump. I didn't go to culinary school but it is something I'm seriously considering for the experience. It will be part time studies at a community college, not a for profit cooking school. My boss is the same way you are..if he knows his staff are willing to learn he is more than willing to take the time and explain things to us and teach/mentor us.