or Connect

Posts by foodaholic

On your point Suzanne about "could have been better" humility is the great equalizer.If you or anyone didn't think like this we would be doomed to mediocracy. And if people and friends look up to you as a sounding board as to the quality of food prepared "I'm so glad you liked it" response would be the correct one. No one wants to eat food that someone they respect finds subpar this only leaves them feeling inadequate,and food is about sharing and love.Your attitude...
This is exciting.:bounce:
If your using squid,you might find that cooking them in a fritter batter could render your squid similar in texture to the conch;) ;) :D :D
deep fried? that must be the scottish version.:D Alas I've only pan fried them.
Hi Live_to_cook, Crumble over the top.....this sounds like it's applied dry,check the recipe and if this is not a misprint,then change it. Reconstitute the orange peel in any liquid you desire,dice it fine,then apply to the dish. Generally peel is added for brightness,I'm refering to taste to help balance a dish. Yup its very easy to get old and VERY dried out peel.I would suggest you dry your own,a far superior product than anything you will buy and you can control...
Hi Cooking_Sherry, You might try this method: Cut you potato into the desired shape,run it through a mandoline (for uniformity) and place on a baking tray lined with parchment. Paint you parchment with EVOO and lay the potato slices down and paint the top as well. Bake in a 350 oven until the edges start to brown,remove from oven and manipulate to the desired shape and secure with a toothpick. Put the tray back in the oven to finish. You will have to play with...
Hi Mezzaluna, Not to undermind your cooking methodology, I feel with a dish like veal scallopini, the taste is very effected by the improper moisture in the meat,that is so very easily effected by precooking. If you are to warm it through in the sauce,this would only be a few minutes off what it would take to cook it fresh. I might suggest that your sidedishes be less sensitive to last minute adjustments. I believe you will produce a far superior product,and more...
I think there is a little more to the question of time or timing your food.We all have our internal clock that will tell a chef when a particular ingredient will be ready to plate,and we make minute adjustments throughout the evening to ensure all comes out correctly.Some chefs have a tendency to overcook food because of flaws in timing. Do some chefs actually use timers to help them aid in the overall timeliness,yes absolutely,is it for a particular dish,maybe, but...
I seem to belong to this club my friends have formed. It involves them putting together a menu,normally theme driven, and involving many courses.Then I,m sent an e-mail saying I,m invited,and all I have to do is come up with the corresponding recipes,buy the food,and cook. The only benefit that I can see,I have no fees or dues to hand out and the wine appears out of nowhere,and I'm exempt from cleaning up.I quess I feel privelidged to be a member,at least this is...
I tend to agree with chrose & Mezzaluna. Most shrimp are flash frozen on the shrimp boats to ensure a good product. Anytime you can keep a delicate product like shrimp as close to a natural state,the better off you are IMO.