or Connect

Posts by tigerwoman

Skillet - the method works because you are not reheating but finishing cooking.  It's similar to the concept of par cooking pasta, shocking and finishing a la minute.   Of course you don't dunk the risotto in ice water but you do spread out on sheet pan in single layer to cool down in refrigeration.   Google the idea - it's used quite often  and we've used it on quite a few catering jobs - successfully.    Another thing to insure creaminess  for the risotto (a catering...
if you par cook the risotto about 75%, then cool on sheetpans and store,  You can finish on site in about 10 minutes using cassette fuel or stove top.
maybe they sous vide the prime rib?
savory cheesecakes and stationary cheese hors d'oeuvres   Gorgonzola cheesecake with pistachio crust topped with port poached pears ( vegetarian)   Cheddar, pecan and red pepper jelly cheesecake (gf, vegetarian)   Tuscan pesto and sundried tomato cheesecake(gf, vegetarian)   Spinach, artichoke, olive and feta cheesecake (gf, vegetarian)   Sundried Tomato, Pinenut and Feta Cheese Torta  (gf, vegetarian)   Black Bean, Roasted Corn and Cheddar Torta  (...
@durangojo - unfortunately you probably haven't heard the news but Michael Roman, founder of Catersource, passed away unexpectedly this past June.  Besides which Mike Roman hasn't been in the physical end of the catering biz for many many years.   so this is another Michael who has been involved in the catering world in Chicago but not THE MIKE ROMAN.         Often quoted, loved by many, friend to our industry,  RIP Catering Guru, Mike Roman   - yesterday...
get in touch with bob bleistein   classic coverage insurance  516.448.4212.  He insures many caterers in the tri state area - we've used him for 7-8 years and have recommended him to other caterers with good success.  These days you need at least 1 million but 2 is better.   We switched to Hartford 2 years ago when we got tired of paying extra for the additional insured many venues require.   He can steer you on many options included liquor.  You can google "eastern...
we do the salad station that flipflop mentioned but let guests add their own toppings to the clear disposable cups which are attractively displayed in vintage drawers - hand back to attendant who places cover on cup and squirt dressings through straw hole and shakes it up baby - we've had female servers wearing red checked aprons too - cute vintage look.  http://simcha-licious-catering-nyc.blogspot.com/2012/05/nyc-bar-mitzvah-party-celebrating-13.html   keep scrolling...
Ironically a few days after reading this post I went through my junk mail account where the lead generators now come into.   there were not a lot of leads but there was one with ...uh can't remember the name (not localcatering.com but something similar)... but have never got too many emails from them except we once got a 40K job off of this particular site for a private car collector, so the measly few hundred I may have spent over 8 or so years doesn't owe me...
I think from what I know of the local catering team, they are concentrating their efforts and google $$$$ (SEO) on their medical lead generator sites not on the local catering site, I barely get one led per month in my market from them and have given up with that path.  Buy google ad words or figure out how to get your own SEO up there in your market.      Did you ever read "who moved my cheese"?   Each of us work in such different markets - there is no "one size...
hope this is not too lat and the event has not yet come and gone   here are some upmarket sounding but economical passed temptations not suggesting you do all upmarket items but pick and choose some that save you abor or $$$ and appeal to the guests and organizers   truffled mac and cheese lollipops - use truffle oil and some truffle infused cheese along with provolone make mac and cheese (use small pasta like elbow or other small shape0 use food...