or Connect

Posts by pazzo

Wow, that's a bummer. I sure hope they will fix their mistakes and send you new knives to replace your poorly constructed ones.
Oh, I agree. If you can return them without much cost to you, I'd do it.
Not all knives can hold a 15* edge and I'm also not certain how well a CC would do with reprofiling an edge from 20* to 15*. I have actually used Cutco steak knives and found them perfectly fine. Unless you're looking for a non-serrated steak knife, I can't imagine bothering to look for new ones.
I was going to suggest the same thing, but BDL beat me to it. Since you're going with a short santoku and it's likely that your wife won't want anything larger, you would probably want to go with a paring knife. The MAC Pro paring knife would do fantastically or you could look into something cheaper if you want to save some money there.
Would it survive? Yes. Would it probably have been dulled or even chipped? Yes, but that goes for all cutlery. Would you be risking slicing deep into your finger when you reached into the sink? Yes. I'd keep all knives out of the sink.
I have a MAC Pro chefs knife and cannot recommend it enough. It is far and away better than any German (Henkels or Wusthof) knife that I have used. That being said, you really do need to maintain it, but this goes for any knife. You should not put your knife in the sink, whether or not it is filled with water. Sinks are made of hard metal and will easily mess up the edge on your knife. It would be probably be better to leave the knife on the board uncleaned for a...
I can't say that I participated in writing my own blog, but I did enjoy perusing what ones existed! I hope it works out better next time around (and BDL's blogs are saved as it would be a shame to lose such a wonderful source of information).
Squashes are usually pretty difficult beasts to cut through. Unless she has specific requirements for more specialized knives, such as a boning knife, etc., the only other knife that would generally be used on a frequent basis would be a paring knife. The two knives you selected are excellent choices. I personally have the MTH-80 as my chef's knife and absolutely love it. In regards to pairing knives, you might just want to keep it all in the family, so to speak, and...
Sorry I can't address your other issue, but I've personally had better luck using a fat and a dusting of flour than using PAM.
Perhaps they're not being baked long enough? Doughy sounds like undercooked to me.