or Connect

Posts by bekazu

Raising the temperature helped some. Now we are running into differences with the amount of food baking together. If we only have 3 sheets in the combi we get even product. If we up it to five or six the center sheets are still too light. We didn't purchase the white efficiency line of rational. We have an older 1/2 size model. I haven't found the 'finish' mode you mentioned.
We recently ditched our double stacking vulcan oven in favor of a rational selfcooking center.  It's a dream for creme brulee, flan and cheesecake.  We are having issues with bread being spot on.  I'm not happy with the pre programed setting for bread.    We are cooking 2 oz dinner rolls made from a semolina/bread flour mix and dried basil.  216 oz bread flour, 54 oz semolina flour, 3 oz dried basil, 6 oz table salt, 7.5 oz sugar, 4 oz dried instant yeast, 30 fl oz...
I've been thinking of rosemary orange macarons lately.  I haven't made them yet but i;m thinking finely ground rosemary in the cookies then orange italian buttercream for filling.    If you want to make cheese filling you need to find a way to make it smooth/creamy.  Maybe mix a cream cheese, goat cheese or queso fesco with a tangy finely shredded cheese like manchego, or extra sharp cheddar.    We make raspberry cheesecake macarons in the resteraunt right now...
If you are set on using the silpat for Macarons you will probably need to play with the baking time/temperature a bit to get it perfect. as near as I can tell the silpat doesnt let the cookies release anywhere near the same amount of moisture that parchment does.    I use Hermes recipe for almond macarons that starts with half of the eggs made into an italian meringue because I believe it is easier to pipe and spreads less than the other methods I've tried.    I...
I knew at 17 that I wanted to become a Pastry Chef.  I worked my a** of trying to get there without formal training.  I was promised several low level jobs would turn into better  jobs that never did.  At one point I was working 3 jobs just to eat and have a place to sleep.  I took the advice of everyone I knew and didn't go to culinary school.   After 8 years of working crappy jobs for crappy pay I attended Scottsdale Culinary - now le cordon bleu scottsdale- and...
For mille feuille we actually don't start out by coating the puff dough at all.  We dock the sheet well, put it between 2 very flat pans and bake 20-25 minutes until it is evenly golden all the way though.  THEN we sprinkle the hot dough with superfine sugar and return it to the hot oven just until the sugar caramelizes 2 - 3 minutes.  The end result has a caramel glaze and is crisp and flaky all the way through.
I'm a bit late to the party but I would like to add my 2 cents...   We started using Callebaut on price point but when we switched over from the  Belcolade the guests noticed and all of them were positive about the switch.  It melts smoother and IMO has a much more consistent quality.    I love Valhrona for eating and panna cotta where the flavor of the chocolate is the star, but once it is "watered" down with cream, butter, egg whites, etc.  there is simply not...
In milk crumbs it acts as a drying and flavoring agent. THere is not enough liquid in many of the recipes for the powder to dissolve. You can make a similar crumb by using cornstarch and cake flour for the milk or playing with the ration of sugar, brown sugar and flour to fat.  In Tosi's book "momofoku milk bar" there is a recipe for milk crumbs that uses an equal part flour and dry milk as the base but after playing with it a bit I actually liked the "vanilla crumb" we...
In the restaurant we own 2 of these drum sieves they are available at resteraunt supply stores or on the web.  Ours are 16" across we can set them over the 30 qt mixing bowl and sift directly into what we are mixing.  If we sift onto parchment paper we just flip it over so there is space for the flour to fall through onto the paper.   They can handle large jobs, don't have small pieces that rust or break and can be cleaned by running through a commercial dish...
I made these last week and they were a hit!  The directions for Swedish Choux was right on.  I filled them with lemon diplomat and the few I managed to save were still crispy on top after a night in the fridge.  My new go-to for quick small dessert