or Connect

Posts by AdamL

Dinner last night was steak diane (One of my personal favourites....I used a third of a bottle of Courvoisier vs and a litre of 35. Life is good). Lazy lunch today - Leftover diane sauce with meatballs on pasta, lots of black pepper.
For me, a saute is a screaming hot pan, high heat, and constant movement of the food, lots of colour and flavour. Sweating is low heat, uncovered, and can be stirred lazily every once in a while to make sure nothing is sticking, no colour. The best example (for me) of sweating is onions. An onion is sweated when it no longer has a 'spicy' raw onion taste, and is translucent. FWIW: I prefer sweated onions in risotto.
Upon further reflection: On the one hand, Lee Valley sells awesome tools. The best splitting axe I have ever used came from Lee Valley, I would immediately recommend anyone to buy Lee Valley tools. On the other, at 12.50 a knife, retail price, corners are being cut somewhere, once you get materials, labour, transport, packaging, etc. paid for, how is the store making any kind of decent profit off the knives? I have no clue what '420 stainless steel' is, from a quick...
+1! Get some fruit in a pot, get a scoop of sugar in there, splash of water. Cook it down, puree it and pass it through a fine chinoise. Another option is to poach some fruit in simple syrup until soft, remove the fruit from the heat and shock it in an ice bath. Save and cool enough poaching liquid to cover the fruit in a container (Only if you intend to store it in the fridge). Reduce the remaining poaching liquid until it becomes a thick glaze. Heat up some fruit in...
First, I love lee valley. But I don't know if I trust knives that cost $12.50 each. That's the same price range as the knockoff wusthof paring knives my grandmother buys from the door to door con- *ahem* salesman.
That was the most interesting part of the show for me. 'But...jeez, look at his face!' I found the entire thing a little incoherent, too much going on. I can just see the planning meeting now. 'Well, what if we did a show where he cooks with a home cook and shows them how to cook' 'How about 20 home cooks watching him cook via skype from around the states!' 'Oh, thats perfect. We should get someone famous on there as well' 'How about whoopi!' 'Oh, perfect,...
Gnocchi and pasta are my staples. If I'm ever in need of something to eat, I throw a potato in the oven and make gnocchi. The same goes for pasta, if I'm hungry when I walk in the door I put a pot on the stove and pour myself a well of flour and grab an egg. If it's just me eating I'll forgo the pasta roller and just roll it with a pin and cut tagliatelle with a knife. I like to eat pretty hearty at home, lots of starch, lots of 35 (If I can afford it), lots of butter....
You'll have to forgive me if this isn't possible, I've never had or made a beer and cheese soup. Are you keeping a large batch of soup hot then portioning and flashing to order? Or are you bringing a portion of soup up to temperature for every order? If your bringing a portion of soup up to temperature, could you not add the cheese to order?
This summer we were deep in the weeds, everyone moving at light speed to get us caught up. I had opened my line fridge with one hand to put some mise back, while I plated with my other hand. I used my knee to slam the door shut again. The timing between my knee and my hand was a little off, and I blasted the door shut on my fingers right at the knuckle. :thumb: Nothing serious ever came out of it, knuckles swelled up something awful for a few days, and busy season...
^ What he said. Don't worry about competing against school grads. You can teach someone how to cook, you can't teach someone how to work. Cooking the line is an intense, aggressive job, so be intense and aggressive in your job hunt. I have yet to write a resume, as my kitchen job's to date have been landed simply by talking to the Chef or Chef de Cuisine and offering a week or two of free labour. Everyone wins, it gives you a chance to show the chef how hard you can...