or Connect

Posts by coolcheech

Thanks for the reply italchef and ED. I'm not a grocer ... yet. Right now I have a lot of experience in retail/wholesale, albeit in the home furnishing industry ... and it's not working for me. I've always loved cooking and the adventure of trying new foods, and I came very, very, very close to leaving my job and going to culinary school about 5 months ago. After weighing all the pros and cons, I gave up on it. To me, I just felt like all the passion in the world isn't...
I tried it. One, I used the wrong bread. I used, I think, an Italian bread with sesame seeds on top. It had a hard crust and a dense center so it was overpowering. Two, I tried making it five different ways. 1. Sardines, melted Brie, thin sliced cucumber 2. Sardines, melted Smoked Gouda, thin sliced cucumber 3. Sardines, melted Brie 4. Sardines, melted Smoked Gouda and based on ED's recommendation, and why the **** not? 5. Sardines, peanut butter, thin sliced...
I'm trying to come up with some unique sandwich recipes and I'm trying to pair something with sardines. I got the idea of melted brie with sardines, has anyone tried this combination? When doing some research I found a smoked salmon/brie sandwich and that sounds delicious; but comparing salmon to sardines is like comparing apples and oranges.
I searched the forums (and elsewhere), and keep seeing the numbers 30%, 33%, 35% to hit as your food costs. UNLESS, the item with the 48% food cost is bringing you in $15/plate profit then the item with the 27% food cost that's bringing you in $8/plate profit. That being said ... once you've settled in on your place, your overhead costs, payroll costs, cost of products, what is the math to figure out how much you actually need to sell of your product, and at what price,...
You can't go lower than $700, with roommates, in the outer boroughs. It's not worth it, for your well-being alone. It's not going to feel like a slum because of cramped quarters and a run-down apartment, it's going to feel like a slum because that's exactly where you'll be, in the slums, the ghetto. You can't compare the cost of living in Ottawa to NYC. And an end of the year tax return won't help with your monthly expenses. The food budget, $10/day on food adds up to...
I've posted my intentions about going to culinary school in another post. But before I go through with this I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm going to survive. I've already put my apartment on the market for sale, I'm going over all my expenses, I'm prepared for the long hours, and while I understand the low pay ... I can't seem to get prepared for it. I'll put it in perspective, this might help anyone else in my situation. After school you'll make about...
I've met with some financial aid/admissions people at the school. Obviously they kissed my ***, but I still enjoyed the school and what they had to offer. But what's been bugging me is this: 1) While I was visiting a lot chef's and restaurant's names were being thrown around, and I haven't heard of 99% of them. Am I supposed to know these things? I don't really have an opportunity to try so-and-so's 9 course tasting menu at the place with the 5-star whatever rating,...
FCI is exactly the place I had in mind. For the way the program is setup, and after speaking with someone there they made me feel good about the possibilities once the program is done. I'm happy you're saying the same thing. I am finding out more and more about the different types of work that's out there for the trained cook. I can't say that I'm not scared, but this looks like it might be really happening and I'm excited for the possibilities ahead. Thanks for you...
:) ... I like how you put that. I'm not working for a corporation; I've been working in the family business, in the retail furniture industry for over 6 years. My degree is a BS in Business/Marketing.
It's the pleasure of making people happy, in a way it's sort of doing something for someone. Also, it combines the ability to be creative, work with my hands, and eat ... 3 things that are important, if not necessary for me to be happy. While very scared, I'm also looking forward to seeing where this will all end up down the line.