or Connect

Posts by carlo1

Start off with a cold antipasto ...... sliced dry sausage, sliced soppresata, small cuts of reggiano parmesan, assorted olives, roasted pepper, mozzerrella balls and a nice italian dressing. Put some bread sticks on the side.   second course ..... orchiette (sp?) with brocolli rabe and cheese and parsley sausage. Make sure you dice up the garlic small and take the cheese and parsley sausage out of the casing and crumble it into the brocolli rabe mixture.   main...
teamfat ............. color of interior when fully cooked was a bloody pink. Not a pleasant experience when eating pork.  Also, when I sliced a piece in half and left the sausage exposed to the air for a few minutes, the exposed cut turned red. This did not happen every time I got pork butt from the butcher, but happened 50% of the time ..... UNACCEPTABLE. The only explanation  could be some pork butts were preserved and some weren't. No other logical explanation,...
Just thought I'd bump up this old thread to tell you folks my findings regarding sausage casings. After making about 80 lbs of italian sausage I have discovered that the natural hog casings are the best casing. BUT ...... don't buy the casings from your neighborhood supermarket.   I bought my casings from a wholesaler. I had to buy a "hank" which cost $24 but a hank makes 120 lbs plus and there is no doubt about the plus. The hank will probably make 170 lbs of...
Greg said .......   "That would be "Are" with a capital a. How's that glass house in the summer?"       It was a joke. I'm not being a grammar nazi. In fact, potato and potatoe are both correct spellings according to the dictionary.
Potatoe and bacon salad   are you Dan Quayle ?
Ok ...... just cased some delicious italian cheese and parsley sausage with collagen casings. Stuffing them was simple compared to natural hog casings. They looked beautiful in the casing.   Threw them on the barbeque (temp @ 350) ...... sausage started bursting and deforming after about 5 minutes on the grill (holes were already poked in the sausage before hitting the grill). By the time the sausage was done the links were severely deformed and much of the casing...
I love sausage with snap or no snap. I love sausage with casing or no casing. What I don't like is eating a sausage with a tough casing. Sometimes this happens, not often, but enough to worry me about the consistency of my food.   There is an italian restaurant by me that I have been going to for 15 years. What I love and respect about this business is their consistency. I've probably been there by either "take out" or "eat in" over 300 times. Never once .... I...
Just spoke to the president of a long established family owned casing company and he was nice enough to spend some time with me. He told me that natural hog casings will never be consistent because of all the different hog intestince  that casing companies get from their different suppliers. Different hog growth, different feeding habits of the hogs all come into play when dealing with natural casings. He said 9 out of 10 will be consistent but that is all you should...
That is EXACTLY the casing I think that would be good for me. But when using the same casing but larger size is good for smoking it makes me wonder. I will try the collagens first. I'd rather not try the sheep ..... yucky imo.   Yes, I am picky. I'm basically a meat and potatoes type guy, but I want my meat and potatoes a certain way. A way that people like me will notice in a very subtle way. I live in a pretty much upscale area in northern new jersey and I can't...
Mary B ...... the website you showed is what confuses me. If collagens are good for smoked sausage how can they be the same for breakfast sausage ? Smoking sausage I would think would require a very durable casing. The differing sausage types mentioned on the website just don't seem uniform for a supposedly fine type casing imo. This is what confuses me with the collagen casing debate.