or Connect

Posts by buckeye_hunter

After many years of holding back, I have decided to buy a food mill.  Understanding that this is not something that is used alot, is it worth paying for a premium model?   Any insight appreciated.    
  Wow!  I ran out of breath just reading your post I love to cook too I hope that you enjoy the forum and keep everthing in balance including your 17 year old son as you feed your soul and make the world a better place I have never really thought about sleeping in the kitchen but I do occasionally eat in bed.  Welcome!  
If everyone were the same, it would be an awfully boring world.   All at the table loved the meat, and no, we did not carve off the crust (which may have been closer to 1/16th of an inch).   I, too, have heard of the studies regarding the dangers of overcooked meat and would not recommend it every day.  I may have done more to threaten my health by sitting in front of my laptop reading the responses and typing this reply.    I just wish I had taken a pic of...
As further proof of point, I am sharing a picture of a ribeye roast that I prepared in my Big Green Egg for Christmas.  It had been seasoned and aged in my butcher's cooler for a few weeks prior to cooking and actually lost over 10% of its weight. ( I wonder if the same would work for me...)   With a full charge of natural hardwood lump charcoal...and another small amount ignited in a charcoal chimney...with top and bottom dampers opened to the max...I emptied the...
Note:  I promised myself that I would write down what I ate last night and some general impressions.   My wife, Julie, and I had been at the mall and decided to stop at the Crush Winebar downtown on Columbus Ave.  A seemingly friendly place with a small kitchen, a chef's table, funky art on the walls...and a small plate menu.  I started with roasted local beets served with feta.  Julie had the baby greens with pecans and strawberry vinagrette.  We decided to split an...
My wife and I went to the mall yesterday to Christmas shop and I decided to return the knives.  I didn't really need them and T-J-Maxx has a 30 return policy.  I will wait til I find knives that I really want and  can pass on to my kids.   We blew the money on a great dinner!  See my review in the "Restaurant Dining Experiences" forum.   Thanks for the input.
I have only used the slicing knife so far.  I loved the feel of the handle and the balance of the knife.  I used it to carve a turkey breast.  It didn't seem very sharp out of the box.  I plan to sharpen it soon and use over the Christmas Holidays.  I have a bone-in rib roast on order!   My initial impressions of the chef's knife is that it may lighter than I prefer.  The blade is not nearly as wide as the blade on my 8" Wosthof Classic.  
So, sometimes I can't pass up a bargain...   I was at T-J-Maxx over the weekend and, as is my usual, I checked out the odd assortment of cooking equipment.  It is always kinda "hit and miss", but sometimes I find something that I really "need".  I mean, where else can I find 4 round 4" baking dishes for a buck each?     I really didn't need knives, but I rationalized that I found some decent knives at a decent price.  And, my kids are developing an interest in...
If I didn't know you better, I would suspect that this is an advetisement.   Wait a minute, I don't know you....
    I don't use my deepfrier very often, maybe once a month, but last night I fried Lake Erie perch and French (Belgian?) fries.   My deepfryer holds 2 gallons of oil, which is great for holding temp, but not terribly economical.    I intend to strain the used oil through cheesecloth and back into the plastic jugs.  (It was too hot to deal with last night.)   Does it make a difference how the oil is stored?  Refrigerate?  Freeze?   Any help appreciated.