or Connect

Posts by liebkuchen

i am certain i have baked and cooked for many foodies: crazed restaurant owners, demanding and valued regulars, beautiful and appreciative restaurant guests, other kitchy-cool cooks. but i'm not sure i'm a foodie. after marinading, steeping and being enveloped in food year after year i find myself fascinated with very simple details ie wanting to eat toasted tomato sandwiches for the entire time the tomatoes are perfect. Unadorned and instant served up by mother nature...
eh! from canada sound like you've had an interesting career thus far and i truly love hearing the tales of a gypsy cook. I've been from the middle of canada to the west coast and can't wait to see what surprises are on the east coast have you ever been here?
there's only been a few times i haven't had a knife callous and i miss it when its not there! I'm equally proud of the callouses on my fingers from playing guitar and when i was a baker, my massive Popeye-esque forearms. it's probably a sign of knowing the value and rewards of hard physical labour and the practice and discipline many creative and worthwhile activities require. i think line cooking creates a few more callouses mentally than it does physically. anyone...
battles of the sexes can only exist when an arena is created. 12 years in kitchens has taught me tolerance and acceptance and i believe i am equally flawed/capable of prejudice as my male counterparts. any job in this world may have been male dominated at one time but women do have the networks to supporteach other and pay equity. the only barrier gender creates that i have personally witnessed is they way we communicate and compete. I love learning from and...
i know it wasn't just childhood perception- my grandmother was a magical cook. hired out to various homes in various cultures she didn't live a glamourous european chef's life but ran a huge farm completely self sufficient the original organics and hand raised livestock, bread oven outside, smoke house martha stewart could never come close tO the the from-scratch life she led i owe my devotion to cooking to her, one of the toughest chefs i've ever laboured for her...
when an ill-prepared garde-manger was on his knees, head in the reach-in telling chef he was looking for and item on a first course going up: chef comments from down the line "should you be looking for a new job while you're in there?" painfully methodical but likeable prep cook when sous chef pressuring to complete a task: "don't harsh my mellow"
just started working in vancouver and really miss my last kitchen buddies... nothing like being shoulder to shoulder under unbearable heat and pressure to fuse loving? friendships. Thrilled to meet bc restaurant staff with something to say ok thrilled to meet cooks with absolutely nothing to say too