or Connect

Posts by johnliu

Okay, I'll answer my own question in case it helps anyone.  I'm now the ''proud'' owner of a CFP-5A and a DLC-7, and have been using them in rotation.   Comparison: The French-made CFP-5A:  - This machine is hella powerful, noisy, even slightly scary.  - The motor is switched on by fully closing the lid to the latched position, and switched off by turning the lid about one-eight of a rotation to the unlatched...
Thanks, guys.  I've all stainless knives now plus one 14" cabon slicer.  My next knife will probably be a carbon Sabatier w/ Nogent handle.  A Japanese knife is in the plans for someday. 
feel it's worthwhile to take a Forschner alll the way up to a surgical black if that much polish is useful to what you're doing.   BDL, I wonder if you can give me a bit more advice here.  I have a (inexpensive, synthetic) Japanese waterstone, labeled as "1500" (and that was all I could read on the packaging, as it was all in Japanese).  Is that equivalent to the "surgical black" you mentioned?   
I have a Kuhn-Rikon 7 qt which I am still learning to use, but already find indispensable.  Being able to time-warp 4 hours of cooking into <1 hour is a remarkably useful thing.  You can come home, decide to make a pot roast or stew or oxtails or similar long-cooking dish, and have it on the table in an hour.  Similarly, you can come home with a chicken, piece it up and toss the carcass into the pressure cooker, and have stock in 40 minutes.    There have been a few...
One of my friends uses a Chef's Choice to sharpen his knives (various Wusthofs).  I looked at one of the knives.  The bevel was uneven (wide in some spots, narrow in others), the edge was slightly wavy and palpably rough.  That said, his knives were sharp enough for his and most people's needs, and without the convenient machine, those knives would probably never get sharpened at all.  So I think the Chef's Choice is a pretty workable solution unless one is a knife...
Thanks. I've never had a Forschner rosewood. Are they the same, other than the handle, as the Fibrox knives?
How would you compare the Victorinox-Forschner Fibrox knives with the Dexter-Russell white-handled knives, e.g. the Sani-Safe line?    Are they pretty equivalent?  Equally able to hold a 20 degree bevel?  Similar slim-ness of blades?  I believe the Fibrox are still made in Switzerland or Germany - are the Dexters all made in the USA?   I'm curious because there's considerable following for the Fibrox but seldom any mention of the Dexters. 
Get a price quote for the 2.5mm steel-lined pieces ( including shipping ) from Dehillerin and also look at other copper pan makers like Falk (www.copperpans.com). If you're going to pay for copper, don't get the 2.0mm or thinner pieces (more for serving than cooking) and don't pay the Williams-Sonoma tax. If you want to keep your copper shiny, find a source for Twinkle copper cleaning paste (True Value hardware stores or Sur La Table) and plan on an extra 2 minutes per...
Hi everyone. I wonder if some of you with long memories can answer a slightly arcane question about food processors. Specifically, which used Cuisinart food processor should I get? Quick background: I have the same food processor I bought 20-some years ago, a Braun. It deserves some plaudits for lasting so long, I guess, but truth be told it is not a good food processor. Light-duty, minimal selection of discs (which are merely metal inserts that snap into the...
Hey guys, I am looking at adding a second oven to my kitchen, for when the range oven is full and/or smaller jobs. I found these Vollrath "Cayenne" countertop convection ovens, in 120v and 240v, in 1/2 sheet pan and full sheet pan sizes. They seem compact, spec'd ok, and sort of maybe affordable. Has anyone used these, would they be okay for general uses (baking bread, roasting meat/veg, broiling) or are they only good for baking rolls and the like? When in use,...