or Connect

Posts by oldpro

I've gone to several of the BBQ forums, but keep going back to texasbbqrub.com.  I went there initially because I heard they had a good product line and wanted to try one of their rubs.  They have a lot of competition cookers that are largely regional, but seem to know their stuff.    Speaking of competitions, the upcoming Houston rodeo in February has a huge bbq cookoff in conjunction with the rodeo.  It is one of the BIG deals on the cookoff circuit, and if memory...
BDL-  You are certainly right about temperature control being pretty important with this type of pit.  The first time we used ours we got a nice bed of coals going, then loaded up about 50 eight ounce hamberger patties on it.  You could not crank it up high enough to get near it to take the burgers off.  The first batch was definitely charred rare - or just charred..    It took some getting used to, but we learned to use it. You needed to have some different...
Klose made us a pit almost exactly like that for our golf course operation. Ours was a bit longer, and didn't have a hood.  We cooked a world of hamburgers and steaks for tournaments over that thing.  Our fuel was almost 100% pecan because we had hundreds of pecan trees on the golf course and every time the wind blew we increased our supply of wood.    We also purchased two of the larger Klose pits on trailers in the $10,000 range for catering operations.  They have an...
One of the best ways to prepare geese is in a gumbo.  While most of my experience is in snows and specklebellies as opposed to greater Canadas, you can bet older geese will tend to be on the tough side regardless of species.  I make a stock with the mature birds, which requires a 3 to 4 hour simmering with the onions, celery, bay leaves, carrot, garlic cloves, peppercorns, etc.  If you wish, add some chicken thighs for the last hour.    I no longer prepare the roux...
I have the following necessities for grilling/smoking:   1  Offset smoker for brisket, ribs, chickens,sausage, game, or whatever. 2  Weber 18 1/2" Smokey Mountain for the same thing. 3.  Char Broil Professional four burner gas grill. 4  Huntington Forge three burner gas grill  because it's better than the Char Broil.. 5. Three 22" Weber kettles.. 6 No name cheapie portable gas grill for tailgating in the field (along with a Weber Kettle). 7. Numerous...
A hunter friend of my son fried a turkey over the holidays, which is becoming a staple in our neck of the woods.  He also happened to have a couple of plucked gadwalls handy.  He injected them and seasoned them like the turkey, and did the deep fry bit on them as well.  Accoring to him, hey were outstanding.  My son shot a specklebelly recently, and plucked it with the intent of deep frying it as well.  We're waiting on a family occasion to try it out.  I'll report in...
Some years back I took some venison I had harvested to the chef at the golf club we were managing for an employee meal, which was always a treat for the staff.  He was pretty talented and I was (selfishly) interested in how he would prepare it.  When I arrived for lunch on the day he prepared it I was shocked to see it was our daily special, and several patrons had already purchased it. , I chased them all down and returned their money.  We at least created some...
You might want to experiment with a picnic (pork shoulder).  I've used them lately in place of the pork butts when I smoked them for pulled pork.  They have a slightly different texture than the pork butts, and should slice better for the presentation you're looking for.  They come skin on, which I've removed when smoking them.  I don't know if that would be absolutely necessary for roasting, but it probably would.  I can't say it's better than the pork butt, but it's...
Masa (corn flour) is very common in the southwest because of its use as a thickener for chili and in making tamales.  I actually use all purpose flour, masa, and corn starch to make a beer batter for fish tacos.  Don't ask my why.  It's the product of a lot of tinkering, and our family loves it.
This is exactly the kind of subject that interests me.  I don't know if it would fit this forum, but cooking over a live fire or coals, directly or slowly, is, to me, an ageless art, and I learn something everytime I light up the pit(s).