or Connect

Posts by Steelybob

So Good is the best, Dessert Professional is another good "industry rag" that also has a website (last I checked). Pastry & Baking NA is another rag that is also free if you can find it, but I'm sure you could get it sent to you.   Amoretti & Qzina (Chef Warehouse) are some other names you can follow that have fairly active web presences and do tons of demos, etc.
MOF Stephane Treand frequently teaches macarons at different levels out of Southern California.   www.thepastryschool.com
If you're in America, I highly recommend talking to Maria Coassin, she's learned the hardcore old school way and has one of the most successful gelato shops in north America (in gloomy, rainy seattle no less).   And she started teaching a few years ago.   http://www.equipmentandconcepts.com/how_to_make_gelato/
Jean Marie Auboine out of Vegas teaches some specialized hard candy techniques, including panning and large scale confectionary production techniques.   Most of the other highly specialized teachers and schools only focus on bon bons, showpieces and modern pastry.
As indirectly mentioned above, school is about networking, nothing else.   If you can build a million dollar a year business off a $65k investment then it's worth it. If you are just trying to get a job in a kitchen, you're probably more likely to get hired without having gone to culinary school.
In my school we worked on "tables" where 4 people did everything as a team. Get on a bad table you might as well drop the class. So the long term strategy became how to make sure you enroll with solid people and get on their table (or get them on yours).   You have my sincerest sympathies I did 3 years as a 40+ in culinary school with 20+ years of working in a serious profession (design) where the kind of immaturity you find among young 20 somethings simply wasn't...
Just piping in because while foodnfoto is 100% correct, and has raised sound considerations, there is a big difference between the high end and low end in food styling and where and how it occurs.   Having an Art Director, Prop Stylist, DP, Gaffer/lighting tech, assistants, set coordinators, editors and multiple producers on set is a reality for certain settings, namely TV & publications we all might know and recognize.   However the rest of the world doesn't often...
just a suggestion, buying useable amounts of couverture chocolate is really not that expensive and investing in a good chocolate book (eg Greweling's Chocolates & Confections - the CIA chocolate book) and going through the process of learning to temper chocolate is something well worth the investment.   the difference in quality will amaze your customers as well, and your repertoire for developing product ideas will expand vastly as a result.
From an artistic point of view, one of the reasons the tuiles take the dishes from "nice" to "too much" is your color palette.   You'll notice most of the more elegant things you see limit their color palette to few more than 3 colors (or many tints/shades of the same color or two).   Thus, for example, pink and green greatly clash with the mango yellow, strawberry red and browns of chocolate deco/vanilla bean and tart shell. That immediately creates "fatigue" in the...
the office? well if you were in the office then it must be true, but you could always confirm truth on the internet which is almost as reputable...