or Connect

Posts by jacksina

Thank you for your reply. I work with the Vermont Food Network and maybe this is a way to go. I hope you won't mind an occasional e-mail, since your experiences may help Carmen Porras create a network so that all the traditional herbs and spices can be safely kept for future generations. Sincerely, Chef Don
Dear Chef Bayless, This is weird. This is the third time I have had to ask this question. Dear Chef Bayless, When I was in Puerto Vallarta in October, I had the pleasure of meeting Carmen Porras, a wonderful chef and owner of El Arrayan. Her restaurant is the epitomy of tradional Mexican foods and her passion and diligence are unequaled. She, however, is greatly concerned that the globalization of agriculture has caused the Mexican farmer to focus on herbs that can...
Euro-bistro, Southern drawlHELEN SCHWABThe Charlotte ObserverFirst Bite offers an opinionated peek at, not a full-fledged review of, a restaurant that opened in the past month or so, based on one meal. THE FOOD: A charming combination of progressive and classic -- though the best thing may be the names: Luluabaisse (lobster, cod, mussels, shrimp and calamari with a tomato broth) and Duck Duck Jus (sliced breast over sweet potato risotto with "pulled" duck barbecue on top;...
Hi, I'm new to this .com, but I have been a chef longer than there has been fire. Back then, cooking was a hit or miss thing. Sometime we would put a saber-toothed tiger on the top of a tall tree and wait for lightening. It might take months. There was also ceviche. But the limes were pretty small in those days, so we had to go back to waiting for the saber-tooth flambe. That's why I live to microwave. Even organic beefalo hanger steak with Sangiovese beurre rouge and a...
Who knows? Kentish Huffkins might be very similar. The huffer is made from a round of fermented dough, cut into wedges, but I don't know if it is baked before or after the cuts are made. It can be stuffed with almost anything, but I don't know how (Baked inside, or sliced like a sandwich?) I have had no luck on Essex sites or with the local librarian (but she tried). Maybe I'll have to go there myself. My internet meanderings showed Essex to be my kind of county (rural,...
The name alone could sell a lot of sandwiches, but it seems like nobody outside of Essex, England knows what they are. It appears to be some sort of roll, or bread that is stuffed (before or after baking?) with any sort of meat or fruit filling. Does anyone have a recipe?