or Connect

Posts by butzy

Thanks all, I will just give it a try and start with using about 25% brown flour and 75% AP or bread flour and add just a little bit more water. See how that works and increase more with the next attempt.
Congratulations Jake   Like Teamfat: my bacon was not ready in time. It will go into the cold smoker tonight
Thanks Brian, I will check out Peter Reinhart's book.   I found some info on the web that said to use 5 extra teaspoon of water for every cup of flour when using wholewheat instead of AP. I then did a cup to weight conversion with the info on King Arthur;s webpage and came to a 99% hydration! So I am not going to use that method   I think you are right in that it is easier to find another recipe, but I still like to work out a substitution method.
I am currently using a no-knead bread recipe that uses a high hydration (78 %) and uses AP flour. (910 gr AP flour / 710 gr water / 20 gr salt / 1 pack instant yeast)   If I want to use bread flour instead of AP, should I change the hydration?   And in case of brown flour or whole wheat flour?   Bread flour is easier to get here than AP and I prefer wholewheat over white bread. Wholewheat is difficult to get, but I can get brown flour. Hence the questions.
I got a slab of belly pork in brine with some added juniper and bay (and chili). I fear that I won't be ready in time though. I put it in on the 23rd. when it has finished curing, I will cold smoke it. The night temperatures are just becoming about low enough to be able to cold smoke.
Bacon-Mushroom Pizza.   I made the dough and used the following toppings: Tomato-chili-garlic-oregano sauce, pre-fried bacon and mushrooms, mozarella, gouda, capers and basil leaves. The taste of the first one was great, but the dough didn't brown enough to my liking, so I made another one.     For that one, I used the same ingredients, but I didn't pre fry the mushrooms and bacon and I baked it on a cast iron skillet. First on the stove to brown the bottom. Then...
Balinese chicken with apple-kemiri sauce, pork satay and ayam rica rica (Indonesian chicken), with green peas and chips (obvioualy should have been rice, but my dinner guest wanted chips)      
I'll stick with green   Bacon, avo and tomato seem like a classic combo to me (ant lettuce, but I didn't have)       I made it in quacamole   roasted the bacon rashers in the oven   Put them on a roll   And here is my bacon-quacamole roll
My recipe is pretty much the same as Brian's.   I like using it on a pizza instead of a tomato based sauce
I normally keep a side of streaky bacon in the fridge, wrapped in a tea towel or hand kerchief and when it gets pretty dry, I eat it raw (and cooked of course). I keep the rind on and just slice it to the thickness I like.