or Connect

Posts by butzy

Thanks Chris, We do make cuts in the meat. Forgot to mention that as well. We also flatten the half chickens by applying some firm pressure on the chest bone. I am going to try and get the marinade a bit better under the skin and will do some experimenting with heating them up. The defrosting process might have something to do with it, so will make one of our usual piri piri chickens and eat it without freezing it again. At least that way I can pinpoint the...
I finally got around to making my Vietnamese lemongrass beef skewers and  while I was at it, I made some Indonesian spiced ones as well. I used a recipe from "into the Vietnamese kitchen" for the Vietnamese ones and my own fantasy for the Indonesian ones   Cutting the big slab of meat. Not too sure if this was rump steak or topside. I think Rump       The marinade for the vietnamese skewers consisted of onion, sugar, salt, pepper, shrimp paste and lemongrass....
Maybe they are ikan teri? Indonesian dried fish, eaten as they as with a meal (just one or 2) I will go through my Indonesian books and have a look see.   If it would be at an African shop, they would be Kapenta, small dried anchovies, a staple food here
Thanks Chris, Indeed, I am in Zambia, close to the border with Zimbabwe which poses a bit of a challenge at times. We have a couple of half chickens on the menu (lemon & herb is the other one). Piri piri chicken is very popular here due to the proximity to Mozambique. I like your tandoori idea as well and it's not a problem to add another flavour chicken to the menu as soon as I get the marinades right (If I can do one properly, then certainly the others shouldn't take...
I have posted this on purpose in the food & cooking section as I value all input from the home cooks as well as the professionals on this forum   I am looking for some help with my piri piri chicken recipe. It is liked well enough by our clients, but I feel it could be a lot better.   We have a couple of limitations in the way we have to work here as we do not have a lot of fridge space, but quite a lot of freezer space, and a very irregular clientele. We tell...
@teamfat: you beat me to it. I was going to make vietnamese lemongrass skewers the day before yesterday. It was all in the marinade and ready to go when I got called back to the lodge, and that put a big spanner in the works as i had to go get supplies the next day (yesterday). I transferred the meat and marinade to the freezer and will make them when I am back. I am using a recipe fron andrea nguyen's "into the vietnamese kitchen. To be continued....
I totally agree with Lagom. You won't learn everything at school, but you will be a lot better prepared. I also learned some hard lessons.....
Stunning Chris!
Beef kebabs with tzatziki, pickled cabbage and homemade bread (made this about a month ago)
I mainly have herbs: Chives, coriander, basil. lemon basil, mint, oregano and marjoram. I need to get some parsley, dill, thyme and rosemary, but for some reason or another I struggle to grow them.   Lemongrass grows like weed in my garden and I have galangal and turmeric. I am just not too sure how to harvest them, scared I might kill them although I know I should jut be able to cut of a part of the rootstock.   I have a lemon tree and a kaffir lime as...