or Connect

Posts by butzy

And now for something completely different   Thai Sausage   I minced pork (about 25-30%) fat and added tom yum paste (hiding in the back of the fridge), dried kencur (wild ginger), garlic powder, ground dried chili, spring onions, coriander leaf, stem and root and stuffed in hog's casings. Tasted some before stuffing and it was nice and spicy, just needed a tad more garlic, which I added.      The mincer attachments were kept in the freezer before using to make...
A little update: I made an Indonesian dish with the tofu which is described in more detail in the monthly challenge: http://www.cheftalk.com/t/80992/june-2014-challenge-southeast-asian/60#post_473364   Just some extra info about my experiences:   The tofu came packed like this and looked a lot more fragile than it actually was   I cut the tofu in half and let it drain, half was weighed down with a cutting board on it and a bowl of water, the other half I left as...
Nice one and looks very tasty. Looks a bit like a very dry biltong.   Finally had a little time:   Sambal goreng kecap tahu: Quite a quick dish after the tahu (tofu) is done. It is one of the things I like about a lot of the food from this region: It is so quick and tasty as well.    I drained the tofu, sliced it and deep fried it   The ingredients: onion, garlic, chili's, lime, sweet soy and in the picture on the right: fish sauce to replace the shrimp paste...
My galangal is over 2 years old and I have been a bit scared to harvest as I have no replacement, so for the moment I am just letting it grow bigger and bigger.   The turmeric was planted just a month or 2 ago, I got the plant from one of my neighbors. He grows lots of it in bags, harvests them each year and then replants the root stock. I will try to find out a bit more for you.Might take a while as he is away at the moment.   I like the story about the garum: I can...
@MaryB: There are lots of substitutions possible. A lot of Indonesians came to Holland in the late 1940's and early 50's and couldn't find a lot of their normal ingredients and they actually created a new kitchen, basically Indonesian food with strong Dutch influences, and with herbs and spices available in the Netherlands at that time.  (called Indisch or Indo, instead of Indonesian).   I am sure that between him of a million knives, the G-Machine, Phatch and myself,...
Looking good Gene! Wish I had a bit more time this month as I can easily eat SE Asian food every day...
@Koukouvagia: Enjoy! I hope you have a lovely day   My suggestions would have been similar to most of the above, crackers, salami, pate (I don't like raw cheese), left over quiche, olives, tin of smoked mussels, fresh bread, peanuts, pickled gherkins and onions. And a bottle of wine (or 2). Don't forget the corkscrew :)
Thanks for the suggestions: Do I use the batch that I have as is, or should I press it first to get the water out? I suppose it depends on what I would make, isn't it? Pressing out as much water as possible in case of deep frying, not bothering about it when it goes into a stew or soup?
@KristinaT Please let us know what you decided to make and how it all went. And pictures of the event please
@dcarch: Yeah, eaten it in Chinese dishes, in restaurants, take-away's etc. Sometimes it's just OK, mostly quite boring. I way prefer tempeh over tofu, but I just need to give tofu a try.   The type I have is probably silken. It is very soft and sitting in water.   Tofu to me has very little taste of its own, so it would have to be prepared with quite a bit of spices. I have quite a lot of Indonesian recipes for tofu dishes (tahu in bahasa indonesia), but I am not...