or Connect

Posts by butzy

Hope you are OK @Lagom!   This is what I am driving:     A Toyota Hilux 2.8 D. She's a proper workhorse, but she is getting old now (she's almost 25 years old). I am just going to use here around the lodge to put boats in and out of the water. I am now driving a Toyota Estima. Not as much character as the old girl, but she's OK   And I am driving this as well: And below with my crew:
That's one good thing around here: Rumps is about 11 U$/kg, silverside and topside around 9-10 U$/kg. I don't know the price  for brisket, but hindquarter is about 6 U$/kg   Pork shoulder around 6, ribs stupidly expensive at the same price as rumpsteak (oxtail is overpriced as well and more expensive than rump) whole chicken about 3, but lamb/sheep outrageous at 15-20 U$ per kg, but luckily I can buy at a much more reasonable price from my neighbours.....
@chefbuba: That looks very appetising. Wouldn't mind some of that! @Jarmo: beautiful table setting!   I made larb (or laap or larp or whatever)   The ingredients: Rice vinegar (as I had no limes), red onion (instead of shallots) garlic, dried chili pepper), fish sauce, tomato, cucumber, basil and purple basil, mint, coriander and toasted rice. I made it with home ground pork mince. There is some palm sugar in there as well, but forgot to include it on the...
That's looking very nice @teamfatMy type of meal.   I had mashed potatoes with green asparagus and a egg-ham topping/sauce.
Just finished smoking some chourico: spices weight out   mixed with the home-ground pork   stuffer ready to go   sausages   hanging inside the smoker   not a very clear picture, but I used a proQ cold smoke generator in combination with a hot plate   That's them after 3.5 hours at 40-45 oC
I got given some green asparagus and I had always wanted to make a recipe in one of my Vietnamese cookbooks of lemongrass-asparagus-beef. So no excuses not to do it: Asparagus, tomato, fish sauce, garlic, onion, beef, some RICE vinegar and palm sugar   Served with RICE noodles, pickled cucumber and pickled carrot.
Yeah, suppose for me the difference is micro-processor driven for electronics and everything that just runs on electricity with just an on off switch is electrics.   Forgot in my post aboce: the one thing that I couldn't deal with was my el-cheapo rice cooker. My dad and brother swear by it, but I think the rice that I cook just on the stove comes out better and fluffier
I don't have any electronic equipment in my kitchen, but a fair bit of electrical stuff . A small oven, toaster, stick blender, kitchen machine, coffee grinder and meat grinder are all used on a regular base, but I can do without. I have a pestle and mortar, gas stove and oven and a collection of sharp knives, which I sharpen on stone, so could do all tasks without power. Handy around here as we do have the odd powercut (I live next to my lodge, so can use the manual meat...
Made some rookworst last month and smoked at 40 oC, then finished off by slowly cooking in water.       Thai sausage (made in June for the east asian challenge)     And szechuan bacon last month again. It is hanging to dry here. Didn't take any pics of the finished product, but it is tasty and luckily I still got some left
@dmirish: That looks nice!   Below is my picture of nasi goreng (indonesian fried rice). It is the same picture as for the egg challenge. I did have some yesterday, but forgot to take a pic of that particular one (looked pretty similar though )