or Connect

Posts by butzy

Yeah, I like the stuff!   It features quite a bit in the middle eastern kitchen.   Some time back I made Merquez sausages, a lamb sausage with harissa paste inside  
And my last one:   Tempeh   Not sure if anyone here knows it. This is what Wikiedia has to say about the way it is made: " Tempeh begins with whole soybeans, which are softened by soaking, and dehulled, then partly cooked. Specialty tempehs may be made from other types of beans, wheat, or may include a mixture of beans and whole grains. A mild acidulent, usually vinegar, may be added to lower the pH and create a selective environment that favors the growth of the...
Got one more coming..... Just need to find my camera, I'll be back
Not so much a dish, but a very nice appetizer, esp with a good glass of wine (also a yeast fermentation product) I didn't make them, still wanting to learn how to though. These are saucissons, a dry cured sausage, and the white stuff on the outside is a mould (fungi)
Just for the heck of it, I decided to stay with fungi, but struggling to upload pictures from my tablet and phone. I should have access to a pc again either today or tomorrow, so hopefully just in time. I have to say that this challenge at least thought me how important lacto fermentation is and how difficult it is to find what type of fermentation takes place. All I could find for fish sauce , black bean paste and several other ingredients is that they are...
In my case, kneading a bit longer, doing an extra french fold and letting rest and proof a tad longer solved the problem. I posted the picture in the January challenge.
I made a noodle dish, but no pics as I was cooning at a mate's place, so you'll all have to make a mental picture:-) I used 2 minute noodles, covered them with boiled water and set them aside. Fried garlic, onion and marinated chicken pieces (chili, fish sauce, some cumin and turmeric). Added chopped OYSTER MUSHROOMS, halved cherry tomatoes and frozen sweetcorn. Then added beansprouts and the draided noodeles, cooked for another couple of minutes and all done. Nice with a...
Some good advice from @mtullius! Don't worry too much if yours doesn't fruit. You mainly got it for the leaves anyway (at least that is what I keep telling myself, as mine doesn't fruit and my neighbour's does). I use both stages of leaves, the young ones mostly finely cut, the older tough ones for flavouring, like in tom young soup (where you don't eat them). Don't get yourself limited to Thai food, Indonesians use a lot of keffir lime as well (they call them djuruk...
Looking good @everyone   @ChrisBelgium: I am off on a quick trip to Holland, and I am sure to go and spoil myself with some good Indonesian dishes! You are getting me in the right mood.
OK, I am better prepared now   I consulted the experts, namely Mr. Google and the more reliable Mr. McGee.   And they agreed, this product is  a fungus product and made with Aspergillus oryzae or Aspergillus sojae molds. It's a procuct I use on a regular base, namely SOY SAUCE (check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soy_sauce)   I know soy sauce as ketjap (or kecap) and it stars in Babi Kecap (Babi being pork), So here we go: I used shoulder pork...