or Connect

Posts by butzy

I have been making sourdough bread for a while now and am pretty happy with the results.   As there is always a bit too much starter I would like to learn how to make a good pizza dough (without adding extra yeast) and if possible integrate that into the bread making progress. I have tried using the starter and going straight to a dough (without making a levain first) but just can't get the consistency right.   Any suggestion as to how to achieve this?   My...
Last Monday was a public holiday. Our weekend guests left quite early, so we took a boat out on the water and found ourselves a nice little sandbank. Unfolded the baby-bbq, lit it and had a beer. Did a bit of fishing, had another beer and then put the marinated chicken on the bbq. They were marinated with coriander root, white pepper, garlic, fish sauce, oyster sauce and a little rock sugar. Had another beer watching the chicken pieces cook. Then 5 elephants crossed...
Eggs: OUT  - Even in the stores they are not refrigerated. Our eggs are not washed   Butter: IN - I don't eat butter on bread and only use it to fry a steak occasionally.   Peanut butter: IN - I only use it to make satay sauce, so it doesn't matter it doesn't spread   Vegetable/Fruit: Mediterranean and Tropical fruit and Veges outside. Although. I got to say, that is in Northern Europe.  In summer, in Africa I tend to store a bit more in the fridge. Bananas stay...
Yeah, I really like the look of that!
There is just something about chicken and BBQ   I was at a friend's house and it was lacking a bit in spices. I made a marinade out of fish sauce, soy sauce, garlic, ground ginger, turmeric and piri-piri   Got my foldable little braai out of the car   And put some stuff on the fire. I read a recipe somewhere, where they skewer chicken wings to get a larger surface on the fire, so decided to give that a try. Also tried bbq-ed tomato and onion. the tomato sort...
That sounds good to me as well . Will give that a try next time
@Koukouvagia: It's an incredibly simple dish to make: Onion and garlic is thrown in a mixture of lemon juice, fish sauce, sliced chili's and a little sugar.   I put the beef on the BBQ and when ready sliced it thinly and put on a bed of cucumber and tomato and topped with the onion-garlic mixture. Sometimes I put the beef in the onion-garlic mixture for a little while, but I not this time.   It should be topped with fresh coriander (cilantro), but I didn't have...
@Benuser  already mentioned the website Japaneschefsknife.com. Have a look at this one on there as well: http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKICarboNextSeries.html#CarboNextSeries. Yes, the name is terrible, but it is a good knife (at least according to my opinion) and the gyuto's (chef's knives) are within budget.   Anyway, I would probably make my dad a voucher for a good knife and then go look together online or at the shop as it is a pretty individual choice (type...
Thai beef salad  
Not dinner, but bruch. Hope that counts as well. I wouldn't mind eating it for dinner   All in one English breakfast. I like to call it farmer's breakfast. even though I am not farming any more. Bacon, onion, mushroom, tomato and eggs