or Connect

Posts by butzy

I googled mascarpone cheese and it seems like it doesn't contain rennet, so it's safe to use I could have used cream cheese or cream instead, but I didn't have any.   Anyway: I fried onion and garlic in olive oil. Added chili powder (from home-dried chili's), mushrooms and spinach and mascarpone. Mixed it with pasta and topped with deep fried onions.   I don't know if it is sexy enough but it was tasty anyway (would have been better with bacon bits though)  
I had a burger topped with mushrooms:
A lot of spice uses (obviously) depend on the type of dish or region it comes from.   For instance: If I say: Lamb   Someone from the UK would say: Mint I would say: Mustard and rosemary Someone from India: Coriander/cumin and turmeric Someone from Greece: Oregano (maybe ) etc etc   As said: I would find a recipe of something I want to make with spice combinations I want to know about and cook it. And then taste carefully to see what the spices do and how they...
@LasagnaBurrito Can you give us the recipe you are looking at making? And the spices / spice combinations that you don't know in this recipe?   As most people already mentioned: I would initially just follow the recipe. Try it and see if you like it. And also: try to taste the different spices in it. See if you can find them back. Quite often, you'll find it difficult as they work in tandem with the other ones. You will actually only notice it if you would let a...
It all depends a bit on what you are used to. If you are not used to the spices and herbs used in SE Asian (or any other type) cooking, then follow the recipe at first. Once you get more used to the spices you can start chopping and changing.   Tasting them all seperately might not be the best of ideas. Chili would be an easy example, it will probably just be overpowering.   Fish sauce is not nice on its own, neither is black bean paste or shrimp paste (some don't...
I use a piece of broom stick as my rolling pin, about the right thickness and cheap..... It was unvarnished so only had to sand it down a bit.   Which books did you get? Have you seen this website from Andrea Ngyuen: http://www.asiandumplingtips.com/? Lots of info and tips.
I got wooden and plastic ones. The wooden ones look much nicer but I don't use them much. Bought them in Vietnam as a souvenir. I use the plastic ones often, but for lots of different purposes (stirring stuff, getting bread out of the toaster etc). They are easy to use and easy to clean. Somehow I don't like the idea of stainless steel chop sticls, but I can't tell you why.
Some time ago I came across a recipe for mayonaisse made with a stick blender and tried it out. It works and takes no time at all.   You can actually use a whole egg for it, and it still works. Just make sure the ingredients are all at room temperature. Here are some of the links: Some use only egg yolk, some olive oil (I wouldn't use all olive oil though, I find that a bit too strong), but you will get the...
Nice dish @foody518. Sounds like my kind of food.   Thanks all about the pizza advice. It was a tasty one and were I went wrong is that I used a piece of bread dough and sprinkled some olive on it before stretching (with my fingers). That I had done before, but this time I did it on both sides and then it stuck to the floured peel. I could/should have foreseen that happening, but didn't. Ah well, you live and you learn. The failed calzone filling was awesome and the...
Here's my first entry for this month's challenge. Just a simple pizza, but one where everything that could go wrong, went wrong ......   I got my ingredients together: Mushroom, tomato, capers, cheeses, basil and sauce (not in the picture. made of crushed tomatoes, dried chili, oregano and garlic)   So far so good.   It went wrong with the dough. It stuck to the board. Managed to sort that with extra flour. Put it on the peel and assembled the pie. Then it...