or Connect

Posts by Schmoozer

My GF is going off for a long weekend with some friends in a couple of weeks.  They are renting a house and will be doing some cooking with everyone having a specific responsibility.  GF is in charge of appetizers.  I've given her a few recipes and ideas such as marinated cheese, a marinated garbanzo bean salad, some easy individual pizzas made with tortillas.  Ideally she'd like something she can prepare ahead, that will keep in the fridge for at least a few days, and...
  We don't have a dishwasher ... but Toots does feel compelled to put the knives in the sink and allow them to bang against other items, like forks, etc.  I am trying to get her to change her ways.    We both need new steels.  Thanks for the suggestion.   I'll look into stones ...  
I thought about giving her one of my knives, but they are all bigger than she'd be comfortable using, and the Forschner knives are, for her, a little easier to use because they are lighter.  So, getting her a new knife is the way to go, although I do have a 10" Forschner that might move over to her place just to see how comfortable she is with the knife and the size.   My price range for this situation is south of $100.00.  I prefer the German shape, and she might as...
I am looking for an eight (probably) or ten inch chef's knife to use in my GF's apartment.  Her knives are terrible, but she doesn't cook much any more, and doesn't need (or know how to use or properly care for) a good quality blade.  I was thining of getting a Forschner because of price and because it's more than acceptable for her needs, and will be a BIG improvement over the junk she's now using.  However, I was wondering what the next step up in quality might be. ...
This evening we made a batch of deviled eggs.  When we removed the cooked yolk we noticed a small amount of water in the emptied whites.  It seems to have been trapped between the yolks and the whites.  How can this be?  What causes this?  How can it be prevented?  We had to dry the whites by hand using a paper towel to soak up the water.   Thanks!
I'd like make a batch of boiled eggs.  Some questions:   How long can boiled eggs keep in the fridge after cooking?  Will hard boiled eggs last longer than medium boiled eggs?  Can they be kept for any length of time when the shells have been removed?  How long can they last in the shell but unrefrigerated?   Thanks!
Sometimes coffee, sometimes tea, sometimes only water with a little fresh squeezed lemon juice.   Coffee generally comes from local roasters, such as Peets, but sometimes I'll drink one of TJ's dark blends.   Tea varies by mood.  
Since I am not very familiar with the cuisines in question, I don't know what vegetables, by anyone's definition, are found in the area.  Since we eat and are intyerested in most any vegetable, all suggestions of the group would probably be relevent.  Spices and techniques, maybe even cookware, ideas are most welcome.   The book is available on Amazon and is easy to find on the various used book sites.   Thanks!  
Tks for the book reference.  Sounds like it's worth looking into.   Yes, I'm in the Bay Area, and ingredients are, for the most part, a non issue.