or Connect

Posts by gerdosh

As a cookbook reviewer, I just reviewed, paged through and tested several recipes from TRULY MEXICAN by Roberto Santibanez. It is a superb cookbook. I am not very fond of Mexican cooking but this book converted me. Whether you are a beginner cook or old hand in the kitchen, this book I recommend.
Remember, both ricer and food mill involve quite a bit of cleanup work. Since I prefer my mashed potatoes coarse and country style, I use a simple potato hand masher, adding cream or milk, salt/pepper and butter just before mashing. Minimal cleanup, too.
As a professional cookbook reviewer, I reviewed this book for the Sacramento Book Review back in October and it was probably published either in the Nov or Dec issue. If not there, it would be in the San Francisco Book Review. You can find these on the Web. These are very brief reviews (up to 200 words) but it gives you a good idea about this book.
Wow!  I didn't mean to create such an uproar. But honestly, I meant strictly to inform giving three links to three book review magazine that are given away FREE. So really, there is nothing to promote.   My apologies!
Actually I have no interest promoting myself (I have nothing to promote). I posted three links in my reply where cookbooks are reviewed (among many other book genres) for general interest but, sadly, they were deleted as spam. So my posting became irrelevant.
I am a professional cookbook/food book reviewer and I review some eight a month for various review sites.   . We only review brand new books, often before they hit the market. Unfortunately, reviews are brief, limited to 200 words but that gives you a pretty good idea whether a book is worth investing on and crowding your already full cookbook shelf.   Edited to remove spam. Ishbel  
I don't get it. Do professionals REALLY like those shows? I can't image why. I never watch them.  
Cookbooks for us are like tools for a carpenter or any servicemanperson--never lend them out unless it's a cookbook you don't use, don't like or don't mind losing. If someone wants a recipes from any of my cookbooks, I photocopy it.
This is very well put, Heirloomer. That's exactly how I conduct cooking classes. I do include one, maybe two recipe preps and sampling in a class just as a side show. But techniques AND understanding the physics and chemistry of food and cooking are my primary objectives. And this seems to work.  
I have been teaching cooking classes for years. Your plan for the first class is quite good though a little too ambitious. This is a lot of material for a class. My classes run 2+ hours and they are discussions too (the classes are up to about 14) that take time though everyone enjoys them. Some may be hands-on, others demos but I always have plenty of food to sample. I suggest to cut back on the material and have a short extra subject on hand in case you are finding...