or Connect

Posts by Theages

I'm fortunate to work at a place where all my peers (6 sous chefs), the exec chef, and F&B managers all believe (and expect) that we should respect each other.  We are all held accountable for our duties, expected to complete our tasks and run our restaurants in a profitable manner, teach our staff to be team players, and hold both our staff and each other accountable to a professional ethic.    Yes, we do get angry, sometimes say or do something inappropriate.  And...
On days off I like to play Halo Reach (or any Halo) shooter game online via XBox.  I can hook-up w/ "online friends" from across the world.  Don't need to plan anything or make a commitment as to how long to play.  Sit on my couch, drink a few vodka's or bourbons, and play.  I don't have to be "Mr Professional" so if someone pisses me off I can trash talk the hell out of them and not worry about HR or morale repercussions.  It is high adrenaline, but it gets my mind off...
Thanks Leeniek.  Running a contest around a special should be rather easy and it's what I'll do if I can't formulate a better plan.  I'm still trying to find a way to run it around a task.  But designing it around a task such as maintaining the coolers seems harder to control and have equal participation. I would want to assign a cooler to each cook for a week but that makes for a long contest.   You're absolutely correct about participation dropping off as soon as...
Any new ideas on running a contest for the BOH?  Our manager is running sales contest for the FOH and said he would match it for a contest to my HOH staff.  I like the idea of running it around designing a special which I have to approve.  But I'd like to find a way to tie it into something like whoever maintains the coolers the best over a one week period, or perhaps some other cleaning/closing/organizational issue.  Any ideas?
I keep two styles of shoes at work: one with a raised heel (such as a clog [which you don't want but there are other raised heel shoes]). And another style which is flat.  Changing shoes half way through a long shift "refreshes" my feet & legs because it changes my posture as well as the way my weight is distributed on my feet.  I use superfeet inserts in all my shoes.  I've tried Danskos, Dr. Martins, and Shoes for Crews.  None seem more comfortable to me than another,...
We require an email at the end of each shift which is sent to all key players.  It includes covers, good & bad things of the shift, equipment needs, potential problems for the next shift, ordering needs, special directions, etc.  This is nice because I can quickly go to the shift log from Thanksgiving last year and see what happened and what to expect this year.  I delete most normal business shift logs after a few months, but hang onto the special event/holiday...
I agree completely with the comments already made, very solid advice.  Additionally, give detailed answers to the interview questions.  Don't simply answer "yes" or "no".  Good interview questions will not allow for a "yes" or "no" answer, but if they ask something like, "Can you work saute station?" explain your experience and why are good.  If you are stronger in another station, be honest.  If you're asked how you would prepare a certain dish, start at the beginning...
Are you sure that when you spiked the meat with your thermometer that you actually spiked the temperature at the center of the steak?  If your probe went say 3/4 into the meat (rather than dead center) then your temp would read the outside edge temperature rather than the center.
In our restaurant we offer comps sometimes, and deny comps at others.  Everyone gets the benefit of the doubt and we will offer a comp if we feel that the situation warrents it. Ultimately we determine whether or not we feel this customer is believable and valuable.   In this example, this is a long time customer.  If they frequently expect comps, then we cut them off.  But if they rarely complain, then we consider their complaint genuine and will offer an...
I agree with the "F**k No!" stance.  If one of my staff questions me on it, I bring him into the mens bathroom, step in the puddle under the urinal, go back to the line, step on the floor, place a peice of scrap meat in the spot, then ask them to eat it.  They get the point and don't ask again.